student loan question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, I need some advice pls? I completed a BA history and BEd degree a couple of years ago (combined), and qualified for teaching. I then had a teaching job which completely destroyed my confidence and I had a breakdown.

Basically, a third of the class were children with behavioural problems. The head teacher lied to me in my interview, saying that there was lots of support available as there were these children. It was a supply job, as I hadn't been able to find a job, and because it was a term's work, I wasn't able to put it towards my NQT year. (I was desperate for the work so I accepted that; my bad, I know. But at the time, I figured the experience would be good.)

Therefore, I didn't get my NQT time or support. Most of the children were nightmares. I stuck to it, as I figured every NQT would have probs settling in. One of the children hated me (I looked like his mum who had abused him, so he shouldn't have been allowed near me) and he was abusive, violent and nasty to me. Then another child, who was an un-diagnosed (then, not now) schitzophrenic, flew at me with his fists, screaming at me. That was the last straw for me. The head teacher was so ineffective; she wouldn't shout at the children, as that was bad for them. No matter that I was becoming more and more unconfident. I had also suffered violence as a child and then in a bad relationship, so it brought alot back for me.

This incident did it for me, and I quit. I went back to the work I was doing during my degree, and the aftermath caused me to have a breakdown, during which I also developed an eating disorder, and was suicidal. It took a year, but I'm ok now. I also developed insomnia, which I still suffer from.

Alot of info I know, but I needed to explain why I can't go back into teaching. I can't do that to myself again, or even take the risk that it could happen again.

My question is this; because of what's happened, I want to do another degree, to move myself in another direction. I've found one, but I'm worrying about money. Would I get another loan? Or even a loan to cover the fees? I feel that I should get another chance; I was really let down, and it's ruined the career that I wanted to be in for 25 years.

Thanks for reading. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear about all that,

I dont see you having any problems getting another student loan though, I would have thought they would base it on your money circumstances and then add the total to the loan you already had when you did the first degree, you would probably stop payments whilst studying aswell

hope this is some help??? :)
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sympathize with your situation. A number of my friends from Uni went into teaching and found they were ill-prepared for the reality of it. There is,sadly, very little support from Heads - who, to be fair, are under a lot of pressure from local authorities to keep children at school, irrespective of the circumstances.

I think you may have a case against your teaching authority as they failed to protect you or offer you adequate support whilst in your teaching post. I would speak to an employment lawyer or the CAB regarding that.

As for returning to uni - as I understand it, you can only get financial support if the qualification you're studying for is a higher level than the one you studied previously. In which case it may be worth considering applying for a post-grad qualification. It doesn't have to be directly connected to History (or Education). However, post-grad funding is very competitive, so I would think carefully about what you want to do.

Failing that, it's worth considering a career development loan from the bank - usually they're for post-grad study, but they might consider it for another undergrad course in your circumstances. I would have a word with your local careers office to explore your options.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you both! I know this was a long post, so I appreciate your time. You've both made me more hopeful that I would get some help somehow. I was just worried that you only get one chance. I do feel very postive about it; thank you! :D
    Forum Member
    no worries:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope things work out for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • QuicheofDeathQuicheofDeath Posts: 2,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both! I know this was a long post, so I appreciate your time. You've both made me more hopeful that I would get some help somehow. I was just worried that you only get one chance. I do feel very postive about it; thank you! :D

You do only get one chance. You wont get a student loan if you already have an undergrad degree, unless it's for something like a PGCE, and as I understand it, they are the only post grad courses that entitle you to a student loan.
    Forum Member
    don't you get financing for doing a masters as well? that doesn't have to be in the exact field you did a degree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't you get financing for doing a masters as well? that doesn't have to be in the exact field you did a degree.

There is funding available for *most* post-grad courses (grants rather than loans). But, as mentioned in my previous post, it's very competitive. If you apply for a Masters, make it clear you intend to go onto do a PhD (or similar) as that improves your chances of securing funding - even if you don't intend to do a PhD.

Also Career Development loans from banks are a good idea. They're at a lower interest rate than the standard rate (though higher than the Student Loans rate). And as interest rates are extremely low at the moment, right now is probably the best time to take one out.

I would speak to a professional careers officer first, however, as they may know of other sources of funding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you! I really do appreciate this. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have to pay for the Masters yourself. I just got a letter from my uni which is offering scholarships to people looking at doing Masters.

I would recommend looking at your other options before looking at jumping into another degree. Your current degree will probably help you get into a lot of jobs depending on what you are going for, plus a degree isn't essential. Rather than wasting your time in academia, get out into the world of work where you want to be and get some experience under your belt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    The best place to check what you would be entitled to is by contacting your LEA.
    I think you would be entitled to a maintenance loan but not a grant but you would not be entitled to a tuition fee loan and would have to fund any course fees yourself. I went to uni a few years ago and left after one year. I am now at uni again and had to pay my own tuition fees for my first year and was not entitled to a grant but did get a maintenance loan. I was awarded a grant, maintenance loan, uni bursary AND tuition fee loan for this year though as I hadn't completed my first degree ( I therefore only lost one year funding). There are a few post grads on my course that get full maintenance loans but are not entitled to tuition fee loans.
    I hope this is helpful and good luck
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I would agree that postgrad might be the way to go.

However I can really empathise regarding the teaching. I did six months of a PGCE then walked out. In my case it wasn't the kids that decided to bully me, it was the Head Teacher of my first placement school when she found out I was dyslexic. It resulted in me being advised to get counselling by my GP. The ITT provider did a big cover up to protect their placement place and the whole experience scarred me. Unless anybody has had first hand experience of the system, they don't realise how bad it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eng123 wrote: »
    Unless anybody has had first hand experience of the system, they don't realise how bad it is.

Absolutely. They say it's the 2nd most stressful job to do, and they're not wrong. It's the most bitchy job I've ever had, and the pressure from people who are supposed to be supporting you is unbelievable. The only good people I worked for were my first placement teacher, who I've become very good friends with, and the teacher I worked with in Austria as part of the Erasmus programme. Apart from that, all awful. I wish it was easier to get on in teaching.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry you had such a negative time in teaching. Sadly taking a supply role when you should be on an NQT programme is never a good move. I would advise people not to take supply on unless you are past NQT or if not, it is in the school you trained in.
    I took on supply after qualifying, but in the school I trained in, so I knew what I was dealing with from the start.

I would also say that not all school are that bad, and the majority are supportive and good. Have you considered looking back into teaching and researching a good supportive school? It really is an amazing job, but I appreciate that some people (and I mean no insult honestly) are not as cut out for the job as they think. It's tragic that your experience was so negative, and it is exceptional rather than the norm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BlackOpal wrote: »
    I am sorry you had such a negative time in teaching.

I would also say that not all school are that bad, and the majority are supportive and good. Have you considered looking back into teaching and researching a good supportive school? It really is an amazing job, but I appreciate that some people (and I mean no insult honestly) are not as cut out for the job as they think. It's tragic that your experience was so negative, and it is exceptional rather than the norm.

All my placement reports were very good or outstanding;even from the teachers who weren't particularly nice to me, and I always felt like it was what I was supposed to be doing. I decided when I was 7 that it was what I wanted. It was definitely the violence that stopped me. I wanted to do it so much. But I can't risk having another break down from it. I came very close to suicide afterwards. It was definitely the combination of that and the violence I've had previously which brought it on. I would love to use the degree in some way, but don't want to teach in school. Hence the idea of another degree!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In which case look for an MA in an area that floats your boat, then go for PhD then into uni teaching/research.

My brother wanted to be a teacher, but after seeing what I have to deal with (the paperwork he hates and rules) he decided that lecturing was more his thing. And he is right, it would be.
    He has a degree in medieval history, and is going for an MA at the same uni (they have been trying to persuade him back for a few years) and then will go into lecturing and maybe a PhD. He can't get another student loan, but the uni will fund him so long as his proposal is what they want.
    I don't really know a lot about MA's, I had planned on doing an MSc, but got tempted into a PGCE instead. But brother has always stayed in close contact with his old dept. which has obviously helped ease his way in without going through official channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's definitely another idea. I've got loads of things to look into now. Thanks so much. :)
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, I started uni in 2005 so it may have changed since but:

I did my first degree from 1998-2001. Didn't really like the course, spent too much time in the pub and scraped a pass. After uni I was working in Asda bored out of my mind.

Decided to return to uni (decided to go back the year I did as it was the year before top up fees were introduced) and do the course I should have done the first time round - I was considering it then but got swayed by the glamorous sounding other course I took instead. :rolleyes:

I got full loan and maintenance grant but have to pay my own fees - you can't even get a tuition fee loan if you are a returning student.

As said, they may have changed the rules again since then and some LEA's do vary on policy so it will be best of if you phone/email them and find out. I emailed my uni back when I was considering coming back to uni and they were very helpful.

Good luck.