The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Damien.Damien. Posts: 18,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say I see a similarity between Ireland and Belgium bar being sung by a male.

Belgium is still a bit meh, they should've made it punchier. Quite wishy washy and bland. An improvement though, that said.

Sweden still comes out on top in this area.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Wow, what on Earth have they done to Belgium??? :eek:

As Eurostar has said, the live version will be the test but he might be able to cover up shaky vocals better in a club song than he could in a ballad.

I think it's going to crash and burn in Malmo myself. From what I can tell, this guy is a lot weaker vocalist than Robin Stjernberg and Ryan Dolan.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I think it's going to crash and burn in Malmo myself. From what I can tell, this guy is a lot weaker vocalist than Robin Stjernberg and Ryan Dolan.

I think they should switch to his mother language and give him a chance. His biggest problem is he's not very good singing in English.

As for Ryan Dolan - I've only heard him once and he was dire. The studio's getting the blame for that so we'll have to wait and see on how he does when the acoustics are better.

Listening to the official version, I like Only Love Survives but then I like Love Kills as well.
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I TOLD you all you were underestimating Belgium! Although even I never thought it would be this good. Straight to the top of my rankings it goes! :D This absolutely wipes the floor with Ireland.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! I can safely say that Belgium shall be shooting up my rankings by quite a leap. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I think they should switch to his mother language and give him a chance. His biggest problem is he's not very good singing in English.

As for Ryan Dolan - I've only heard him once and he was dire. The studio's getting the blame for that so we'll have to wait and see on how he does when the acoustics are better.

Listening to the official version, I like Only Love Survives but then I like Love Kills as well.

Amsterdam should be a good test of Ryan Dolan, as it will be a level playing field on the night and he will definitely sing OLS live.

Belarosa's main problem is that he is in a semi of very strong vocalists : Russia, Ukraine, Slovenia, Denmark, Netherlands, Austria etc.
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Amsterdam should be a good test of Ryan Dolan, as it will be a level playing field on the night and he will definitely sing OLS live.

Belarosa's main problem is that he is in a semi of very strong vocalists : Russia, Ukraine, Slovenia, Denmark, Netherlands, Austria etc.

Not sure how you can call Roberto a weak vocalist while simultaneously defending Ryan because of the poor sound quality. The Belgian NF was held in a tiny radio studio at about 10 in the morning, long before any singer's voice would have warmed up. Why do you think everyone mimes on breakfast TV? I smell double standards tbh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Belgium is still awful! It will certainly bomb in the semi final.
  • .:Tom:..:Tom:. Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Someone here asked earlier if two similar genres have won in consecutive years. In the televoting era - 2003 (Every way that I can) and 2004 (Wild Dances) could be considered as similar enough.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .:Tom:. wrote: »
    Someone here asked earlier if two similar genres have won in consecutive years. In the televoting era - 2003 (Every way that I can) and 2004 (Wild Dances) could be considered as similar enough.

You could probably include Greece too with them all being up tempo female pop songs with ethic influences.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how you can call Roberto a weak vocalist while simultaneously defending Ryan because of the poor sound quality. The Belgian NF was held in a tiny radio studio at about 10 in the morning, long before any singer's voice would have warmed up. Why do you think everyone mimes on breakfast TV? I smell double standards tbh.

I'd be a bit suspicious as to why they have applied that amount of autotune to the song when none of the other uptempo pop songs such as Slovenia, Germany and Ireland have used it this year in their studio versions.

Still Amsterdam should be a very good test, and may answer the Belgium vs Ireland debate.
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I've listened to both versions of the Belgian song now... and I can't say the remix is drastically better. It remains that his voice is weak when he's singing in English. It's a pity that Europe feels they need to sing in English; the songs in English often have much weaker lyrics than those in the native languages.
  • ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.escstats.com/ - Pre-chart 2013.

Always worth a look, the UK is up to 5th place with only 38% chart time under its belt, that is... STAGGERING!!!
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ollie1004 wrote: »

Always worth a look, the UK is up to 5th place with only 38% chart time under its belt, that is... STAGGERING!!!

Sorry but what does this chart mean exactly?
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ollie1004 wrote: »

but this is the poll that had Evridiki the winner in 2007!
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but what does this chart mean exactly?

it means a lot of gay men from Western Europe like your song...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,382
    Forum Member
    That chart has Kedvesem above Birds which says it all.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Belgium supposed to be some sort of uptempo dance track? It is absolutely lifeless and sounds the same all the way through:sleep:
    Only Love Survives is far superior:)
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »

Oh me likey...
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.rtl.fr/actualites/culture-loisirs/musique/article/eurovision-2013-ecoutez-le-premier-extrait-de-l-enfer-et-moi-7759401348

France snippet

Belgium a lot better. He should be able to sing he did win the Voice after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started on H20 now. My votes for H19 wouldnt have changed anything thank God. SOme horrible overrated songs going through but whatever.

;)
  • LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bantastic wrote: »
    Belgium is still awful! It will certainly bomb in the semi final.

totally agree with this, I've been reading on here about how good Belgium is, so I listened to it hoping for big things, GUYS IT'S AWFUL! WTF! I sometimes think people are on a wind-up on here, it won't get out it's semi.

Listened to Ireland and thats not bad at all, that should make the final and hopefully top ten, Robin from Sweden is still my favourite but I haven't listened to everything yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG How sexy is Manuel Ortega?
  • LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy Diamond used to be known as Amy Coal, but she changed her name after pressure got to her.

lol, nice.
This discussion has been closed.