Options

Japan Urges UK to remain in EU

1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Japan have warned that 130,000 British jobs wih japanese firms in the UK are at risk if UK should leave The European Union http://news.uk.msn.com/world/japan-urges-britain-to-stay-in-eu

Comments

• Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Those Japanese firms invest in the UK to sell to Europe. It's part of their global strategy. It makes me laugh when people talk about how we're over-reliant on exporting to Europe when you realise that multinationals invest in the UK for that very reason.
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why cant other countries stop interfering in BritaIns business. If its so good why dont they ask to join the EU.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'A majority of voters would prefer the UK to be a member of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) as opposed to the EU, according to a new survey published by the Bruges Group.'

'Of those expressig a preference in the survey, a clear 71 percent said that Britain would be better off as a member of the trade group EFTA, as opposed to 29 percent who thought that Britain should remain a member of the EU.'

http://synonblog.dailymail.co.uk/2013/07/71-of-britons-want-out-of-the-eu-the-eurocrats-know-it-but-the-brits-dont.html

In a statement to the Sunday Times the Japanese embassy in London explained the intervention, saying: "We know some countries decided not to submit comments but as a non-EU nation and major investor in the UK we thought it was appropriate".

Crucially, it then adds: "We have taken advantage of this occasion to express our expectations ... If the UK leaves the Single Market, countries investing in the UK and exporting to the EU would have to pay tariffs, and that is not good news".

And there is the rub. In leaving the EU, the UK does not necessarily have to leave the Single Market. This membership can be maintained through membership of EFTA and the EEA. The Japanese position is ill-informed and its intervention ill-considered. It should know that this is the case.

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=84180

One has to wonder why the supporters of the EU engage in so much "deliberate stupidity". UKIP and every other group that wants to leave the EU is also in favour of a free-trade agreement, which we would have by joining EFTA. Japanese firms would not be affected.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    Why cant other countries stop interfering in BritaIns business. If its so good why dont they ask to join the EU.

Because they are worried about their businesses based in Britain that are reliant on selling to Europe.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    We should do a deal with Japan, we'll stay in the EU if they take our share of Bulgarians and Romanians, I'm sure they'd go for that.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're asking why Japan doesn't join the European Union.......:p

Btw, is it interfering when they set up thousands of jobs here ? They invest money, given them a right to an opinion surely. Ok might not be want you want but in/out has to be about more than dogma so surely it's right we consider all views ? So tell us why this isn't an issue worth worrying about and we can all move on. If I'm going to be asked to put my X in a box one day I want to know as many views as possible have been explored and considered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    You're asking why Japan doesn't join the European Union.......:p

Btw, is it interfering when they set up thousands of jobs here ? They invest money, given them a right to an opinion surely. Ok might not be want you want but in/out has to be about more than dogma so surely it's right we consider all views.

Yes.They could apply to take our place if they love the EU so much.
    No. They dont get a single say just because they invest here.
    But having said this, the Japanese are very admirable and Im not criticisng their nation, just their policy on our being in the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they are worried about their businesses based in Britain that are reliant on selling to Europe.

So they want us to remain in a club that makes us miserable and costs us money , so they can sell their products to the EU more easily. Hmmm...
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Japanese have no idea if the UK left the EU what the position would be with regard to tariffs.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    So they want us to remain in a club that makes us miserable and costs us money , so they can sell their products to the EU more easily. Hmmm...

Stop using 'us' when you mean 'you'. Being in the EU doesn't make me miserable, it doesn't create an emotional response at all.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Stop using 'us' when you mean 'you'. Being in the EU doesn't make me miserable, it doesn't create an emotional response at all.

Well said!

Also it's interesting of the Japanese government to say something like this. It means they are serious. I doubt it will sway the opinions of our government but I suspect it will make a few posters on here (and elsewhere) decide not to ever go to Japan on holiday! That's assuming of course they've ever left these shores ever in their lives....or ever will.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much are these Japanese firms paying in corporation tax and the like? Its all very well them using Britain as a gateway to Europe. Just so long as we're not getting shortchanged along the way.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What? You want them to stop interfering in the UK with all their jobs? You want Nissan, Toyota and Honda to pull out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    What? You want them to stop interfering in the UK with all their jobs? You want Nissan, Toyota and Honda to pull out?

They wouldnt / its bluff. You cant let other countries dictate your destiny though. The EU has a trade deficit with the UK so they need to trade with us.Thats all and we as a nation are capable of organising everything else.Countries like the USA and Japan need to be more considerate of the UK populations wishes
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23393856

The government plans to publish an analysis of "what the UK's membership of the EU means for the UK national interest" - called the Balance of Competences Review - later this week.

As part of the review, foreign governments were invited to make contributions.

In its submission, Japan said it was "committed to making its relationship with the EU stronger than ever before".

If we didn't want to know the answer then we shouldn't have asked the question.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry? but are the Japanese saying that if we pull out the EU that their cars or other products made here cannot be exported to Europe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. They dont get a single say just because they invest here.

Can you really not see how utterly ridiculous that statement is?

They invest here because it gives them easy access to the whole of the EU.

They are entitled to withdraw their investment should our circumstances change and they are also entitled to tell us that's what they'd do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They wouldnt / its bluff. You cant let other countries dictate your destiny though. The EU has a trade deficit with the UK so they need to trade with us.Thats all and we as a nation are capable of organising everything else.Countries like the USA and Japan need to be more considerate of the UK populations wishes

Er, why would they bluff in the first place?
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    They "might" drop investments here if we leave the EU and the single market. I think most folk want us out of the EU but to remain part of the trading area which I'd assume is the most likely outcome.

Although I respect Japan's oppinion alot more than the land of the 'free' across the Atlantic, I didn't expect another answer from Japan other than the one most suited to their own needs. Not to mention we can set up out own trade deals with Japan and Asia if we get out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we didn't want to know the answer then we shouldn't have asked the question.

Yes..Very clever of the government to invite other countries to respond as they knew exactly what the answer would be.:rolleyes:
    Its all manipulation...so they would tell us we shouldnt pull out of the EU as we'd lose their investment and jobs. Then some UK people will listen and get scared and change their minds in the referendum. How subtle they are, but theyve been rumbled. :D

Expect more of this in the next few years.
    A succession of well to do countries queueing up to plead with the UK population to remain in the EU..for their benefit ...the domino effect in time for the referendum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Er, why would they bluff in the first place?

Because they dont really want to get involved in our internal issues , but have done so because the UK government asked them the question in the first place.
  • Options
    guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warlord wrote: »
    One has to wonder why the supporters of the EU engage in so much "deliberate stupidity". UKIP and every other group that wants to leave the EU is also in favour of a free-trade agreement, which we would have by joining EFTA. Japanese firms would not be affected.

It's all they have, the fake arguments. Understandable that they continue to use these smokescreens.
  • Options
    guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    I suspect it will make a few posters on here (and elsewhere) decide not to ever go to Japan on holiday! That's assuming of course they've ever left these shores ever in their lives....or ever will.

How ignorant and clueless to think that because people want out of a political union, they somehow reject anything outside our shores.

Quite a moronic comment for you, 2+2.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guypd wrote: »
    How ignorant and clueless to think that because people want out of a political union, they somehow reject anything outside our shores.

Coming from you with your background of posts on this forum, that means absolutely nothing at all to me.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    guypd wrote: »

Exactly time to leave the EU and join the world! The future is India, Brazil, Singapore, Malaysia and China not the bankrupt economies of the EU.

As for this quote Japan isn't saying this just its here today gone by 2017 government which is not quite the same thing! Why they are even wasting their time flogging cars to bankrupt Europeans when they have a billion Chinese next door anyway is beyond me?