Gravity

Comments

• revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aesthetically stunning but the story was very bland. I also found it incredibly hard to accept NASA would send a bereaved person who had suffered the death of a child into space. Nah, not happening fella.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I totally agree with you.

I don't care about the flaws. You're thinking way too much if that's all you care about.

Best way to experience the movie is on a large screen at the cinema in 3D. I was floored. Brilliant filmmaking, just a stunning film.

I watched it in 2D and I still thought it was brilliant.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh. Bit boring really after the first half hour. Was obvious ending too.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    I also found it incredibly hard to accept NASA would send a bereaved person who had suffered the death of a child into space. Nah, not happening fella.
    Perhaps, but...*puts on film snob hat*....you can see it working in the metaphoric sense. Grief, loss, the endless void of space etc.

Much of Gravity worked in that way I thought.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    I watched it in 2D and I still thought it was brilliant.

I watched it in 2D second time around and still loved it. Appreciated the soundtrack even more. Great score.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was anyone else hoping after all she'd been through a bear would appear out of the woods at the end and eat her?
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Was anyone else hoping after all she'd been through a bear would appear out of the woods at the end and eat her?

I was kinda hoping that she was the bear in the woods having an "I'm a human astronaut" dream.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The director actually joked in an interview that they had an 'alternate ending' that was bullock's character standing up and walking away and just as she takes a step, clooney's character falls from the sky and crushes her to death and the film just cuts to black.

i'd have probably found that unintentionally hilarious :)
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strangely, it appeared on SKY movies on demand (Virgin XL pack) before it was on SKY movies premier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The director actually joked in an interview that they had an 'alternate ending' that was bullock's character standing up and walking away and just as she takes a step, clooney's character falls from the sky and crushes her to death and the film just cuts to black.

i'd have probably found that unintentionally hilarious :)

Lol now that would have been a great ending :D
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought this in 3D (our first Bluray 3D purchase) and the wife and I watched it last night.
    Visually it is absolutely stunning. The 3D aspect really was good (especially the 'Marvin the Martian'!)
    However, we were disappointed with the film in general. After all the rave reviews, we were expecting a bit more.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Bought this in 3D (our first Bluray 3D purchase) and the wife and I watched it last night.
    Visually it is absolutely stunning. The 3D aspect really was good (especially the 'Marvin the Martian'!)
    However, we were disappointed with the film in general. After all the rave reviews, we were expecting a bit more.

That's generally the response the movie gets. When I said so a while back I got flamed. Now more and more people are adjusting their opinions and seeing Gravity for what it is - 90 minutes special FX reel. By the way, you have a 3D TV? Can I ask how much it costs? Also, wouldn't the 3D only be appropriate for some films?
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still loved the film even after seeing it on 2D Blu-ray.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    That's generally the response the movie gets. When I said so a while back I got flamed. Now more and more people are adjusting their opinions and seeing Gravity for what it is - 90 minutes special FX reel. By the way, you have a 3D TV? Can I ask how much it costs? Also, wouldn't the 3D only be appropriate for some films?
    Yes, I didn't even know it was a 3D one when I bought it. I only realised it when I got it home and set it up and noticed they had given me two "strange pairs of glasses" with it :D
    I can't remember exactly how much it was - I think it was round about £450.

And yes, you need to buy the 3D version of the Bluray disc (it comes with s normal 2D version too) for it to work, obviously they are more expensive. Gravity is the only film we've bought in 3D but I'm glad we did as I felt it was worth the extra money.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Strangely, it appeared on SKY movies on demand (Virgin XL pack) before it was on SKY movies premier.

On sky every big film is on demand a week before sky movies premier.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,927
    Forum Member
    Aesthetically stunning but the story was very bland.
    Pretty much. The film has little substance to speak of. Technically very proficient though.

3/5
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Finally watched this.
    My God it was horrendous, I get that it was technically a great feat, but there was no story or suspense.The dialogue and 'acting' was cringeworthy and Sandra Bullock is a truly terrible actress.
    Ending was obvious. Yawn.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging the film watching it at home is not really a fair appraisal in my opinion. If ever a film was meant to be seen in the cinema AND in 3D its this. I Personally hate 3D but this film was the exception, I felt like I was there with them, I have watched it in 2D on bluray too and it loses some of its impact but its not how the movie was meant to be seen. Its meant as a visceral experience, the story was secondary.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Finally watched this.
    My God it was horrendous, I get that it was technically a great feat, but there was no story or suspense.The dialogue and 'acting' was cringeworthy and Sandra Bullock is a truly terrible actress.

Wouldn't go as far as to say SB is a terrible actress; she's actually quite brilliant and very underrated imo.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally watched this.

Surely it's only obvious if you know exactly what happened at the end.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double post
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Wouldn't go as far as to say SB is a terrible actress; she's actually quite brilliant and very underrated imo.

She's not an actress.....she's a film star.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    She's not an actress.....she's a film star.

I agree
    She is a film star. As an actress, she is incredibly limited. I still fail to understand how she earned the acclaim and award nominations she did. She failed miserably as the emotional and heartbreaking aspects her character had gone and was going through in the film.

I have said this before but this was a role that Jodie Foster would of been superb before. Who in my view, one of the few decent american actresses still alive today.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally watched this.

I have to agree. The special effects were lovely, but everything else was dire. :(
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was absolutely stunning from start to finish. Even though you probably knew there would be survivors, I thought the soundtrack was every bit as good as the visuals, and really did create a lot of brooding suspense.

And Clooney is always hilarious when he does deadpan.