Catteries

lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,
I was wondering, how much could it cost to take a cat to a cattery for a couple of days at the most?
We are renting a place but the landlord doesn't allow pets (private landlord). We keep the cat all the same because we love him and because there is nowhere else he could stay. We make sure he doesn't ruin the furniture etc. He is 18 now.
We need the cat to be away when the landlord visits and so that we can thoroughly clean up before he comes; that's why I was thinking of a cattery. I found one that even picks up the cat and would take him back and emailed them to ask about prices etc, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.
Also, do they take pets for just a day or is there a minimum time?
In the past I took the cat to my bf's mum's for a couple of days, but travelling on the train for an hour and a half with a cat is not ideal and he hates it; he is an indoor cat and he starts bawling when we get on the train or undeground in London. It's distressing for him. He was kept in a pet carrier. Plus, I don't really want to have to deal with that woman.
She had kept him for a few months but then said she didn't want the responsibility so she brought him here and we kept him. We were missing him so we were glad but when the landlord wants to visit, it's a problem.
The landlord doesn't visit often, once every few months.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Round here in Nottingham the prices start at £6.50 a night and go up to £10 iirc. Not sure about minumum stays though some might do a 3 day min. Some will charge for the following night if you don't pick up before a certain time - best to check that out.
    Its a shame so many landlords have a blanket no pets policy - I suppose its just easier that way. He may be aminable though if he thinks you are a good tenant he doesn't want to lose. Perhaps broach the subject by saying a relative has to get rid of a cat and could you possibly keep him?
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a cattery in North London. They charge between £12 and £15 per night depending on the season. (And no, for those who are lucky enough to pay a lot less than that, it isn't a luxury cat hotel, just a standard boarding kennels and cattery) They open at 9.00a.m. and close at 5.00 p.m., so if I am away and don't get back in time to pick her up, she would have to stay another night. I can't see there being a problem with the cat being there for just one day as long as their opening and closing times fit into when you are available. It might unsettle the cat a bit. I would try sounding out the landlord to see whether they will change their minds.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering, how much could it cost to take a cat to a cattery for a couple of days at the most?
    We are renting a place but the landlord doesn't allow pets (private landlord). We keep the cat all the same because we love him and because there is nowhere else he could stay. We make sure he doesn't ruin the furniture etc. He is 18 now.
    We need the cat to be away when the landlord visits and so that we can thoroughly clean up before he comes; that's why I was thinking of a cattery. I found one that even picks up the cat and would take him back and emailed them to ask about prices etc, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.
    Also, do they take pets for just a day or is there a minimum time?
    In the past I took the cat to my bf's mum's for a couple of days, but travelling on the train for an hour and a half with a cat is not ideal and he hates it; he is an indoor cat and he starts bawling when we get on the train or undeground in London. It's distressing for him. He was kept in a pet carrier. Plus, I don't really want to have to deal with that woman.
    She had kept him for a few months but then said she didn't want the responsibility so she brought him here and we kept him. We were missing him so we were glad but when the landlord wants to visit, it's a problem.
    The landlord doesn't visit often, once every few months.
    Thanks in advance.

Do you not have a neighbour who could take him for a couple of hours?

Perhaps a garage if need be, just while the LL is visiting?
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.
    No, we don't really talk to our neighbours (I don't know, they all mind their own businesses, not very friendly) and none of them anyway has garages. It's mainly 1 bedroom houses. Also, we need the cat away not just when the landlord is here but also the day before to clean up all the hairs etc. I do hoover regularly but soon after he leaves litter and hairs everywhere again, so it would be pointless trying to clean with him still here.
    That's why I thought of a cattery.
    The landlord clearly said dogs and cats are a big NO, when we moved here :(