Xbox One must (confirmed) be connected every 24 hours, or every hour if not yours

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Microsoft have posted some articles on their blog clarifying some stuff about the Xbox One.

Key among them confirmation that your console must check in every 24 hours, however if you go to a friends house this is then amplified to every hour...

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected
With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

Comments

• jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    What looks like such great console, with some awesome games coming out for it, so sad for it all to be ruined by one fundamental thing, and a pointless one at that, theirs no reason for disc not to be checked when offline. :cry::cry:
  • ComedykevComedykev Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hahaha, xbox fail! I'm out,
    I was thinking of getting one but not any more.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Complete fools. They've only gone and done it.

But good to know I can watch live TV! :rolleyes:
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    This probably wouldn't even affect me and yet the idea still irritates me greatly.

Sod it, think I'll just get a PS4 instead. Haven't really liked anything I've heard about the Xbox One so far.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While annoying I really don't see it being an issue for 99% of people on here.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I admit that there are places where broadband sucks, or is not available at all, this doesn't affect me, so, to be honest, I really don't care.
  • ComedykevComedykev Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »

Riiiiight, now go and read all the another announcements they have just made, like the second hand games bit (expect price-fixing) among a few issues.
    Forum Member
    It's the whole idea of WHY they are enforcing this 'check' ???
  • VegetaVegeta Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »

Why do I need to be online if the game is already on the disc?

What if I want to bring my console and stay over a relatives house who don't have internet?
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you imagine what the PSN hack would have been like with a system like this in place :eek:

At least we could play our games offline.
    Forum Member
    Vegeta wrote: »
    Why do I need to online if the game is already on the disc?

What if I want to bring my console and stay over a relatives house who don't have internet?

The game completely installs on the HDD. You can then throw the disc away! ;) But if you sell the game the content will be deactivated from your account.

Don't have Internet? Then tough luck is MSFT's answer.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vegeta wrote: »
    Why do I need to be online if the game is already on the disc?

Then your ****ed.

Microsoft, as always, are idiots.

They have the best OS in W7, they follow it up with Windows 8.

They have a strong console with the xbox360, and they follow it up with this garbage.

I'm not surprised they have all these exclusivity deals to try and compensate for the terrible hardware and it's features.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what would be funny. They should totally launch the rumoured 360 Mini and copy the Wii Mini and have no internet connectivity for the great irony.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Wait and hear the full details of both before swearing your allegiance to Sony.

Publishers pushed for this. I know you want Sony to be the White Knight and take a stand for consumer rights but you can only push those publishers so far.
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony have confirmed there is no online requirement, "many countries don’t have robust Internet connections." was the reason given.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus there is no mention of Sony allowing us to play retail disc games without the disc in the drive, so needing to check in to verify licenses wouldn't be necessary.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    People are forgetting that an internet connection is a two way street.

What if Xbox servers go down or get taken down.
    Then you're screwed. You can't play any online or offline games at all. Also what happens when people stop playing your favourite game and then MS close down the servers. That's it. That game is dead for ever.

So yes, this affects everyone. People who say they don't care because it won't affect them haven't considered this fully. It will affect them.
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone that likes playing old games on old systems,what most worries me about this is the fact that once MS pull the plug on the Xbox one servers 5, 6 years from now, all the games on it will be rendered unplayable.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see a lot of these being removed after a year through an update because of low sales :o
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comedykev wrote: »
    Riiiiight, now go and read all the another announcements they have just made, like the second hand games bit (expect price-fixing) among a few issues.

I'm commenting on the subject of this thread, not others. So perhaps you should go read the opening post again.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    I really hope the Xbox One gets hacked early on & has downtime like PSN had. Maybe this will force Microsoft to reevaluate what a stupid system they have in place.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    As someone that likes playing old games on old systems,what most worries me about this is the fact that once MS pull the plug on the Xbox one servers 5, 6 years from now, all the games on it will be rendered unplayable.

They could update it to remove the restriction before pulling the plug.

But I'm not defending it, its a rubbish policy to start with.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »

24 hour Internet check isn't set in stone and ms have said it could change depending on real world practicality and towards the end of the generation they could lift the internet requirement. I personally think the online check could go to 7 days within and year or so.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    Wait and hear the full details of both before swearing your allegiance to Sony.

Publishers pushed for this. I know you want Sony to be the White Knight and take a stand for consumer rights but you can only push those publishers so far.

Exactly it's the publishers that have been pushing for this. This system isn't there to put a full stop to second hand games it mostly to stop piracy. Sony hasn't shown their hand yet but they will have something similar. I think people are getting hysterical about a system that realistically won't affect them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Only needs something like WGA to kill it off.

I have allways blocked WGA but so far at work.

1 PC knocked out due to false negative.

Another knocked out as Window update took out MS WGA servers, while it was WGAing.