So, whos buying the XBOX ONE and why?

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    MS are currently blaming media for massive backlash, this is again is bullshit.

I disagree with you. While a certain amount of backlash is warranted most media outlets are being completely over dramatic as that's what they do, to a point of being unprofessional, there's a clear lack of rational/balanced opinion. I'm not saying most people aren't disappointed with the conference but these gaming sites sure love to stir the pot. A number of people including myself have decided stop visiting these sites until after the true unveiling at E3 as it's nothing but a hate-fest on MS built on negative-rumours and predictions and it's a waste of time.

We all knew MS would have a focus on multimedia at the unveiling. They promised the games would come, more so than in any other time in Xbox history. As far as I was aware the biggest problem Xbox-detractors had with MS was the lack of new IP and exclusives, it seems they've addressed that. The machine is powerful and the controller is nice. The way people are acting is as if the specs are on par with the WIi U, there's no more games to be shown and Kinect is the only input method for games.
  • The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    i will if they drop the fee for being on line
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    I disagree with you. While a certain amount of backlash is warranted most media outlets are being completely over dramatic as that's what they do, to a point of being unprofessional, there's a clear lack of rational/balanced opinion. I'm not saying most people aren't disappointed with the conference but these gaming sites sure love to stir the pot. A number of people including myself have decided stop visiting these sites until after the true unveiling at E3 as it's nothing but a hate-fest on MS built on negative-rumours and predictions and it's a waste of time.

We all knew MS would have a focus on multimedia at the unveiling. They promised the games would come, more so than in any other time in Xbox history. As far as I was aware the biggest problem Xbox-detractors had with MS was the lack of new IP and exclusives, it seems they've addressed that. The machine is powerful and the controller is nice. The way people are acting is as if the specs are on par with the WIi U, there's no more games to be shown and Kinect is the only input method for games.

It wouldn't news if it wasn't for dramatic headlines etc. Your acting as this is exclusive to MS, It's not, I myself would say Nintendo get worst of it from the media. The biggest problem is the slow reaction, then a very cagey responds made it 10x worse. The fact is the media wouldn't be having a field day, if MS had been clear. This MS's fault and MS's fault alone.
    Forum Member
    No it works both ways. If the media had decided to be to balanced and focus on the positives aspects as well as the negatives then we wouldn't be seeing quite the backlash we've got at the moment (please note, anyone who is currently doing this are universally scolded by the masses for biased reporting, ironically). Instead, most of the these sites have relegated themselves to the Neogaf gif comedy levels of journalism. Nintendo get it bad too, again they haven't helped themselves but that is tested and proven as the machine is on the market and we know about the lack of 3rd/1st party software. The same can't be said for the Xbox One with it's coverage and communication issues.

I'm not saying the backlash isn't a good thing and to an extent I believe it's deliberate and it will hit MS hard (I hope). They need to be brought down a peg and made to understand who drives this business; the gamers. A lot of people want MS to fail, for the Xbox brand to die but that wouldn't be a good situation. Real gamers want all these consoles to succeed and be the best they can be. At the moment we have a picture where all three next-gen machine are offering something different to one another and there's nothing wrong with that. MS don't have to be a carbon clone of Sony to be successful or to have a great games machine, people are just too caught up in the competition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    It's safe to say that a lot of gamers have been left cold by the launch presentation, but looking at the style of the hardware and it's multi-media aspirations, I think the Xbox One it could be fairly successful amongst the John Lewis crowd that you see cooing over Bose sound systems and iMacs on a Saturday afternoon. Those middle-aged, middle-income types that wouldn't normally set foot in GAME and think consoles are for kids might actually go for it.

Bose - style over sound quality, they exist simply for audiophiles to take the piss out of
  • Sam SeedSam Seed Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I was going to. Im a 360 guy and was looking forward to the reveal but having seen the crap they served up im gonna get a ps4. All my friends game on it anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is bad media coverage being discussed, MS get bad media over everything thing they do so I doubt that will bother them or there loyal followers.
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ill only consider buying an xbox one if they release the following stripped down version with.....

Kinect removed
    Lame Media and TV crap removed
    No internet connection needed every 24 hours
    No limits on 2nd hand games and where i can sell them

Basically just a video game console that you know just plays games
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll buy it in a few years time.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know yet. The price will be the clincher. I can ignore all that unwanted media stuff, and the game-locking thing probably wouldn't affect me. However, I'm not keen on paying for the bundled Kinect that I just won't use.
    I quite like the styling, as it moves away from the rather gooey, curvy effect of recent stuff. You can tell it's suffered from cost-cutting though.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me, but then i don't really play a lot of games, I got the Ps3 more for the Blue-ray as it was the cheapest way to get one at the time.

I use the Ps3 more for media than games, but I do play the odd one. so not worth me getting a Xbox or a Ps4 for that matter.

Anyway, the Kinnect thing would certainly put me off, i enjoyed playing a few kinnect games at my mates place, but having the thing on all the time would not be ideal
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how much do you think it will cost?
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £279.99
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My lad will, he's a gadget geek like his dad.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might get one just before the XboxTwo is announced next year.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    I might get one just before the XboxTwo is announced next year.

heard its called the Xbox One Two.

:rolleyes: :o
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    i currently use the 360 for games so its the obvious upgrade.
    Since neither console has backwards compatibility, I don't see a big benefit of staying with my existing vendor.
    Chparmar wrote: »
    If MSFT can get Sky and Virgin to sell this thing, with free or subsidize subscriptions then that could be a winner for them, I suppose.
    I don't know about Sky, but it seems to be that XBox One competes directly with what VM are trying to do with TiVo.

(Admittedly I think Microsoft will be doing it better. For example, the TiVo box is massively underpowered and unbelievably slow for scrolling through menus. It has apps, but they are off in a separate ghetto, not snapped or overlaid over the TV image. On the other hand, I don't actually want apps while watching TV, and if I did I'd use a tablet rather than take space from the picture.)
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am, i don't have a reason why, i just am.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Third console curse hits MS in a spectacular fashion.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Folk on forums are obviously vocal about disappointment in the xbox but there will be more folk not reading up on it and just see it as the next xbox and buy it for thier kids etc.

Forza being a launch title will go some way to saving ms too.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Folk on forums are obviously vocal about disappointment in the xbox but there will be more folk not reading up on it and just see it as the next xbox and buy it for thier kids etc.

Forza being a launch title will go some way to saving ms too.

That will solely depend on the general media reaction, the BBC, dailymail :eek: etc start printing articles about 24 Hour checks, Used game fees etc, and then add their normal twist of the knife, it could effect them a lot a launch. Some parents do not like giving their children internet access un-monitored, in most cases console will be in their bedroom, I doubt the reaction to Ms forcing kids to have internet access will be a good one. Some might say It's only 24 hours but what parent doing 9-5 Job will want to be messing with console every day.
  • kingdavekingdave Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mandatory, and controlling nature of what I've seen from Xbox One so far is ruling me out.

I can see the logic in MS wanting to have all these extra features and stuff, but to make them compulsory for the system to even switch on is too much for me.

I'm sure there'll be lots of people that like these features of the Xbox, but let me decide how I "consume" my videos, games and music rather than forcing me to do it your way.

I'm not a big user of preowned games but I have been known to do it, and I do often sell my own to fund other stuff, but if that avenue of income is taken away from me, or rendered next to worthless then I'm out. There's no incentive for me to keep buying.

Its a shame that these big companies think of the product as "theirs" and something we rent or have a limited license to use as long as we stick to their very narrowly defined parameters. If I'm spending £40-50 on something I want to be able to use it in my time, the way I want and then be able to get rid of it how I want, when I want.

I get the argument about the games industry being the only industry that expects to see money from sales further down the line and to me that stacks up. I did, however, read a counter argument on some games site that said it doesn't stack up. The argument was that if I sell my car the person buying expects things like dints and wear and tear so understandably wants to pay less for it - they aren't getting it brand new. But that fails to stand up in the modern age where CDs, DVDs, BluRays, eBooks etc are not capable of experiencing the same kind of wear and tear - you would always get the same audio or video quality whether you were the first owner or the 100th yet these companies don't expect to get a cut further down the line. Why should games be any different? If they can't cover their own costs from the first sale of an item then they deserve what they get.

Until MS clarify all the rumours that they themselves seem to be creating, countering and denying then I'm out. Xbox One could've been awesome, and some aspects still do look amazing, but not at the price (privacy, control, freedom etc) they are asking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    That will solely depend on the general media reaction, the BBC, dailymail :eek: etc start printing articles about 24 Hour checks, Used game fees etc, and then add their normal twist of the knife, it could effect them a lot a launch. Some parents do not like giving their children internet access un-monitored, in most cases console will be in their bedroom, I doubt the reaction to Ms forcing kids to have internet access will be a good one. Some might say It's only 24 hours but what parent doing 9-5 Job will want to be messing with console every day.

Parental controls? Any parent who is concerned about there child on the internet will be clued up on any new device at there chikds disposal. TBH between mobile phones and kids with laptops, the XBOX ONE will probably be the safest for use by children.

The hype surrounding the XBOX ONE is reaching histeria levels now.
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't buy a Xbox One due to the authorization checks it seems to have for games, a physical disc should be able to work without online checks thats the advantage of physical media as long as you have a working console and the game you can play it. Online activation is a drm that punishes you for paying for your content.

A lot has also being said about what it's Kinect can do. Has everybody forgotten about Milo and all the demos of project Natal a lot of which the Kinect can't do. Maybe Microsoft are telling outright lies and false advertising like they did with the original Kinect. We won't know until the console appears and the promises are broken.
    Forum Member
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a Xbox One due to the authorization checks it seems to have for games, a physical disc should be able to work without online checks thats the advantage of physical media as long as you have a working console and the game you can play it. Online activation is a drm that punishes you for paying for your content.

A lot has also being said about what it's Kinect can do. Has everybody forgotten about Milo and all the demos of project Natal a lot of which the Kinect can't do. Maybe Microsoft are telling outright lies and false advertising like they did with the original Kinect. We won't know until the console appears and the promises are broken.

No-one from MS has come out and said "background 24hr online checks are mandatory", but they have come out and said the X1 will work offline.

It would be surely against the law to prohibit you to play your own game on your own console simply because you don't have access to the internet (for whatever reason). People are really blowing this whole thing up to something it's not, not helped by media who seem unwilling to just address everything we know so far and ask MS the hard question we want to know the answers to.