Options

That News item about the perfect cup of tea

LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
Forum Member
✭✭
I heard it being discussed on LBC. The presenter was suggesting that the findings have come from "expert" tea tasters.
It seems that.... for a small cup of tea (250ml).....
You need 2 tea bags.
They need to be left to brew for 6 minutes.

Are you shocked that you have been doing it wrong? :) Would this cup of tea be too strong for your taste?

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/17/heres-how-to-make-the-perfect-cup-of-tea-according-to-best-practice-guidelines-5066596/

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,946
    Forum Member
    That sounds like it would be rank to me personally. I like my tea strong but that would be like death.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of my grandad when he went into BHS to get a cup of tea.

He always use to take a tea bag out of one of the other tea pots and put it into his one before filling it with the boiling water. :)
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like strong tea, but the way I make my tea is special and everyone that I make tea for always say "Danny you make a nice cup of tea"

I put the tea bag in the cup first.
    Then I add 1 sugar if needed.
    Then I add a bit of milk.
    Stir.

But they say you should had the milk after the hot water.

Rubbish. I add the milk before the hot water.
  • Options
    user986user986 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Two teabags for 250ml water is a bit too much, in my opinion. I like my tea strong but that would be too bitter, I am afraid. Sure, it also depends on the quality of the tea one uses.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like very weak tea with no milk, and I have to make it myself to get it how I like it.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

Rubbish. I add the milk before the hot water.
    Adding the milk before prevents the tea bag from brewing properly as the milk lowers the temperature of the boiled water. (Unless of course you've heated the milk first)
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read on a tea packet recently that, for a perfect cup of tea, you should thoroughly agitate the bag.
    Since then I always slap the wife on the arse and say "Make us a cuppa, fatty".
    :D
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The perfect cup of tea comes with two heaped teaspoons of sugar.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member

Agreed, and a tot of whisky every now and then doesn't do any harm either.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Heaped spoons - I'd choke on that :o

I used to have two sugars - cut down to one, then to half, now I'm slowly getting used to no sugar at all. Still like a little in coffee though :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Adding the milk before prevents the tea bag from brewing properly as the milk lowers the temperature of the boiled water. (Unless of course you've heated the milk first)
    Yep you need boiling water to adgitate the tea. With coffee it's best not to use boiling water as it can scorch the coffee - although not sure if that the same with instant.

Dave Gorman had a good bit about this in his show.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use two tea bags if it's a friend's house and they've only got weak pish tea like Tetley or something.

Punjana is the perfect tea and does not require 2 bags or extended brewing, ever.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    I heard it being discussed on LBC. The presenter was suggesting that the findings have come from "expert" tea tasters.
    It seems that.... for a small cup of tea (250ml).....
    You need 2 tea bags.
    They need to be left to brew for 6 minutes.

Are you shocked that you have been doing it wrong? :) Would this cup of tea be too strong for your taste?

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/17/heres-how-to-make-the-perfect-cup-of-tea-according-to-best-practice-guidelines-5066596/

Good god, two teabags and six minutes!!!! :o That would be horrid.

Actually I heard from another tea expert that you should never pour boiling water onto tea, but slightly off the boil, like you do with coffee. It takes away the bitterness. I've been doing it since, and it seems to bring out the flavour more especially with earl grey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it "experts" always seem to know f**k all of what theyre talking about.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Good god, two teabags and six minutes!!!! :o That would be horrid.

Actually I heard from another tea expert that you should never pour boiling water onto tea, but slightly off the boil, like you do with coffee. It takes away the bitterness. I've been doing it since, and it seems to bring out the flavour more especially with earl grey.

Yes, that's probably right. Especially with green tea, where the water should be much less hot than for black tea.

If I'm using a leaf tea I use a proper teapot most of the time, though an infuser works okay.

Though when feeling lazy I put a tea-bag (or two depending upon strength) into an insulated glass, add water and put into the microwave until nearly boiling. Then leave it to brew for a minute or so.

Milk is a no-no for me as in tea it makes me feel ill, rarely use sugar either. :)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say that many teabags would be necessary, but agree a cuppa needs to brew for a good three minutes minimum.

Many people don't do this as far as I can see; they just pour hot water on, stir, push the bag against the side of the cup then remove it. Takes less than a minute.
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    I don't drink tea but when my parents and grandma made it they used to make it in a pot, and it was one for each cup plus one for the pot. That was with loose tea or teabags.
    It was left to brew for no more than a couple of minutes and might be topped up with hot water for an extra cup. Oh and the teapot was kept warm under a tea cosy.
    I think they mostly had PG tips. I remember we always collected the cards you got in the packet.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,946
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that many teabags would be necessary, but agree a cuppa needs to brew for a good three minutes minimum.

Many people don't do this as far as I can see; they just pour hot water on, stir, push the bag against the side of the cup then remove it. Takes less than a minute.

That's because like most foods, people prefer tea different ways. i like mine strong but I know plenty of people who leave the bag in for a few seconds.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    That's because like most foods, people prefer tea different ways. i like mine strong but I know plenty of people who leave the bag in for a few seconds.

And again a lot of that is down to what we've experienced.

On the whole, the custom of allowing tea to brew in order to maximise the flavour of the infusion, is on the decrease imo.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read on a tea packet recently that, for a perfect cup of tea, you should thoroughly agitate the bag.
    Since then I always slap the wife on the arse and say "Make us a cuppa, fatty".
    :D

If you did that you wouldn't agitate your teabag, you'd agitate your wife! :D