Options

Back problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I put my back out over the weekend. I spent too long sitting on the rather hard surface of my bedroom floor and doing a lot of stretching/reaching while I was organizing some files and stuf...and something in my back clearly couldn't take the strain. It's been hurting since I did it on Saturday and I'm just wondering at what point would be time to worry and go and see someone about it if the pain doesn't go away? I've been rubbing Deep Heat on it which has helped a bit but there's definitely something wrong. It hurts pretty much all the time and I feel like I'm straining no matter what position I'm in.

I've never had any back pain before (not anything that's gone on for more than a day, anyway) so I'm not sure how is best to deal with it. Any suggestiions appreciated, thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go to the gp all they will tell you to do is rest!

You may have pulled something or inflamed some sort of muscle that hasn't been used in a while..........try using an ice pack rather than deep heat,the cold helps to reduce inflammation.......wrap a bag of frozen peas in a tea towel and put on the area for 10-15 mins(until you can feel the 'chill') do this every hour throughout the day.....it works for me,it's a tip I got many years ago from an osteopath:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Podling wrote: »
    If you go to the gp all they will tell you to do is rest!

You may have pulled something or inflamed some sort of muscle that hasn't been used in a while..........try using an ice pack rather than deep heat,the cold helps to reduce inflammation.......wrap a bag of frozen peas in a tea towel and put on the area for 10-15 mins(until you can feel the 'chill') do this every hour throughout the day.....it works for me,it's a tip I got many years ago from an osteopath:)

I suspected a trip to the GP would be rather pointless which is why I haven't rushed to make an appointment. I don't want to rest, I have things to do.

Thanks for the ice pack suggestion. I wouldn't have thought of that. Will try it. :)
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If youre too busy to rest your back, try taking otc anti-inflammatory medication for 3-5 days.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Restt and gentlel exercise, but no straining. i find codeine (codis or co-codamol) very good for pain relief, but it doesnt suit everyone.