Options

Tottenham Hotspur fans on the forum? (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually enjoyed the 2nd half yesterday, despite the missed chances. At last we were getting into the opposing box, and creating things.

I'd like to see Lennon and Townsend, playing on their natural sides, and that will give us more pace, and allow us to get into proper goalscoring positions.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame MOTD mentioned the Sandro penalty incident but ignored our penalty shouts. They made it look as if we were lucky.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Good win ..
    Thought Defoe was woeful,,,

I don't agree with the past tense ;-)

There are very good reasons why every Tottenham manager he's played for and every England manager in his era have, either straight away or in the end, looked elsewhere.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    One thing I know as an absolute fact is that we will not be achieving anything significant with Jermaine Defoe as our main striker. it just isn't going to happen, because he is not very good.
    I'm not being entirely serious, no, because it was just a dumb thought I had that I didn't exactly write up coherently, but then i'm not completely joking either.

Obviously I'm not saying that Defoe could teach Soldado anything, but it was more along the lines of maybe giving Soldado a chance to observe the formation and system from the sidelines to help him adapt his game to it, while also giving him a rest at the same time.

But then I do think Defoe gets stick for similar reasons that Lennon does in that there are many times during the game that they simply don't get the ball. There was a point in the game last night were Holtby was advancing with the ball in midfield and Lennon was in clear space out on the right, Holtby clearly looked at him and still didn't pass to him. I'm not saying Lennon would have then subsequently gone on to beat 3 defenders and stick the ball in the back of the net, but almost certainly he would have ran at a few people and tried to take people on.

As it was, Holtby passed the ball sideways and the move broke down.

Same goes with Defoe. Give him the ball and he'll run at people and try to work out a chance. Don't give him the ball and he'll do a lot of what he was doing last night - standing around with his hand in the air.

it's not as though they don't actually get the ball though. Lennon in particular gets a lot of it, but no-one except Messi or Ronaldo is going to get the ball pretty much everytime they are in space or call for it, because the likelihood is they'll do something with it, so giving it to them is considered the best option.

if there are several of these situations where Lennon or Defoe aren't getting the ball in good positions, then it's because their team-mates don't often consider a pass to them to be the best option. I also don't think it's a given that Lennon would've tried to take anyone on if he'd gotten that pass you've referred to. there were several times that he had the chance to do that yesterday, but instead he went for his default option of just laying it off to the nearest team-mate.

the stick he gets from me isn't because he doesn't get enough of the ball...it's because he very rarely does anything with it when he does get the ball. I debate this so often with Spurs fans, and whenever I ask anyone to tell me what it is we get from him, it's always something vague or intangible. it's always fair enough his final ball isn't good and he doesn't score many...but he stretches defences, he "frightens defenders to death with his pace" (whatever that means, he defends well etc. this season, I've even heard him being praised for making space for Vertonghen (when he plays on the left) and Walker to get forward, and defended for the fact that in almost every single game so far, his full-back has provided more of an attacking threat than he has.

he's a winger whose best attributes seem to be off the ball rather than on it. imagine a striker who wasn't good at scoring goals, a keeper that wasn't good at saving them, or a defender that couldn't tackle...how ridiculous would that sound? that's basically Aaron Lennon.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i f'n KNEW it .. with the way the balls were disappearing and our number wasn't coming up ..

It just HAD to bloody happen :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't have been any worse could it?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..I'd like to see Lennon and Townsend, playing on their natural sides, and that will give us more pace, and allow us to get into proper goalscoring positions.
    Yes, I've had enough of the inverted wingers. Cutting inside, our players invariably run into other team mates and the opposition's defensive wall. We have to stretch our opponents and not allow them to stay compact as it just restricts us to edge of the area shooting.
  • Options
    mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Completely missed the draw. Typical.

Still you have to have faith. As they say football is a funny old game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    ..that's basically Aaron Lennon.

snipped, but replying overall. As i've said before, I do fully accept that the player Lennon is now is all the player he ever will be because he's been a professional for over ten years. I just feel, much as you do with Ade, that some of the stick he gets is unwarranted.
    Completely missed the draw. Typical.

Still you have to have faith. As they say football is a funny old game.

The faith is certainly there but I think i'm a bit blasé about the game already really, more because it's clear that the gods of football have, for whatever reason, decided that this is Ars*nal's year so something will inevitably go pear shaped and they'll go through.

I do think it's very much a case of what will be, will be really.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to laugh don't you at the way some things turn out. I expect many scum fans will be immediately thinking they are as good as in the 4th round already but as we know, it isn't always as predictable as that. If the game was played in the next month I would say they have a right to be confident but it's not and despite the scum's good form, injuries to any of their front 5 could quickly see a downturn in their fortune.

On the other hand, a couple of more significant signings by us in early January and a run of decent results could see the odds go more in our favour. Whatever the result though I think both teams fans are more focused on the goal of automatic CL qualification and would happily trade a couple of weeks bragging rights for one of those coveted spots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the pressure will be on Arsenal, though. May make no difference, but it might.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice result at the Effemirites: all-in-all, a pretty decent seven days :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting stat about Aaron Lennon, seven of the nine matches he's featured in ths season have been away: 5 (away) wins, the draw at Everton and the pasting at Citeh.

He also started against Hull and Man Utd at home.
  • Options
    Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just HAD to be us that got Arsenal away:D
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the criticism of Defoe, I think he's played well these last two games. He should have scored when he put it wide, but was unlucky not to get a couple on other occasions. I think his movement and hold up play have been excellent.

Also on Lennon, I think he has been excellent. His link-up play with Walker on Saturday was great, and his defensive work as always has been brilliant.

I expect most to disagree, but there you go.

Interesting note, when we lost to Newcastle, we were in 7th, 3 points off 2nd. After this weekend's fixtures, we're in 6th, 3 points off 2nd. What a crisis!
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    ...Interesting note, when we lost to Newcastle, we were in 7th, 3 points off 2nd. After this weekend's fixtures, we're in 6th, 3 points off 2nd. What a crisis!
    Indeed, we are still well in the hunt. It's a strong PL in depth this year and as we have seen, all the top teams are capable of dropping points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting note, when we lost to Newcastle, we were in 7th, 3 points off 2nd. After this weekend's fixtures, we're in 6th, 3 points off 2nd. What a crisis!

Indeed. AVB out .. clearly :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool will be a real test. Who will stop Suarez?
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    well Gerrard is apparently out, and obviously Sturridge too, so that should make it easier to deal with Suarez, in theory at least. if Sandro deals with Coutinho, they'll have difficulty getting to supply to Suarez, and that should do the trick IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the criticism of Defoe, I think he's played well these last two games. He should have scored when he put it wide, but was unlucky not to get a couple on other occasions. I think his movement and hold up play have been excellent.

Also on Lennon, I think he has been excellent. His link-up play with Walker on Saturday was great, and his defensive work as always has been brilliant.

I expect most to disagree, but there you go.

I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    well Gerrard is apparently out, and obviously Sturridge too, so that should make it easier to deal with Suarez, in theory at least. if Sandro deals with Coutinho, they'll have difficulty getting to supply to Suarez, and that should do the trick IMO.
    I will hold onto that for the rest of the week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Indeed, we are still well in the hunt. It's a strong PL in depth this year and as we have seen, all the top teams are capable of dropping points.

Unfortunately for us, it's only really Arsenal who are running away with it. But they do struggle when they come up against the good sides. Yes, they beat us and Liverpool, but lost to United and struggled yesterday against Everton.

Chelsea are struggling, United are not the team they were, Liverpool are playing at their maximum, and City are awful away from home. The likes of Everton and Newcastle are probably playing at their maximum too. And yet for all the apparent problems with us, we are still right up there in amongst it, as has been the case all season.
    Indeed. AVB out .. clearly :D

:p
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spurs squad is strong let alone first 11. will be in top 4 hunt all season long. AVB is a great manager,stick with him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FA Cup tie is on ITV 4th Jan at 5.15pm. Will the Man U game on 1st Jan still go ahead, then? I guess so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    FA Cup tie is on ITV 4th Jan at 5.15pm. Will the Man U game on 1st Jan still go ahead, then? I guess so.

Why wouldn't it? :confused:

That's a ridiculous KO time for that particular fixture. I'm suprised the MET have allowed it.
This discussion has been closed.