Options

Benefits Street: C4 6th Jan 9pm

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    How on earth did the Scrap Metal Roma Merchants talk their way into the UK :confused:

By being 'self-employed' - same as the Big Issue sellers.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »
    Maybe they can get Kirstie and Phil round, don't they do a show where they titivate places up to sell.

Great idea.:D. They wouldn't have to bother distressing the furniture would they?;-)
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is not a surprise that he liked it

Is it preposterous to think that the gov't had plans long ago to make these changes to welfare/benefits and somehow commissioned people to do these programs to get public sentiment behind them? Is there an election looming by chance?
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i like this - i do have empathy for some but not all of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Achtung wrote: »
    That girl screeching in her mother's face in a clip of next week's show was like a cry for help. Kids like their parents to be their parents, set ground rules, have proper discipline, teach them to be respectful not be their chums and laugh and joke about everything with them. The result will be a complete breakdown of barriers, confusion, anger etc etc.

I'm not sure they "like" it, but it's probably better if the parent do discipline them and set clear boundaries.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Is it preposterous to think that the gov't had plans long ago to make these changes to welfare/benefits and somehow commissioned people to do these programs to get public sentiment behind them? Is there an election looming by chance?

I wouldn't put it past them ;-)
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    British scum and non British scum,all in one tv show !
    This is the reality of modern Britain.
    The British featured,however they ended up on benefits,have no manners,no standards and no sense of personal responsibility.
    The non British unskilled should never have been allowed into the country in the first place.

These two reasons are exactly why they is a massive social divide between the decent working classes and the non working classes
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like the 'somehow commissioned people'. It's almost as if even you find the entire proposition ridiculous and can't think of a way they could do it. Face it, channel 4 commissioned the programme themselves, nothing to do with anyone else. And there isn't an election looming, not until 2015.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the 'somehow commissioned people'. It's almost as if even you find the entire proposition ridiculous and can't think of a way they could do it. Face it, channel 4 commissioned the programme themselves, nothing to do with anyone else. And there isn't an election looming, not until 2015.

My wording was to point out that I know nothing about how programs get made or who comes up with the concepts. Many people have hinted at a kind of conspiracy between certain sections of the gov't and the media. At higher levels there is always talk about those in charge being in one another's pockets, so I don't think it's that inconceivable.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next election is May 2015. If this was set up to be some Tory propaganda, and given the fact the average voter has a very short memory, it would be rather stupid.

And would the Tories pay for the production too? Or merely order Channel 4 to make it and hope to recover the cost through advertising?

Finally, how does the party ensure nobody grasses on them? Especially when I doubt everyone working for the channel is conservative...

Suddenly it doesn't sound plausible one little bit.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    The next election is May 2015. If this was set up to be some Tory propaganda, and given the fact the average voter has a very short memory, it would be rather stupid.

And would the Tories pay for the production too? Or merely order Channel 4 to make it and hope to recover the cost through advertising?

Finally, how does the party ensure nobody grasses on them? Especially when I doubt everyone working for the channel is conservative...

There has been a drip drip of propaganda since the coalition has been in government.

I'm pretty sure they'll be able to carry on with it for the next year. A programme here, a programme there. The little digs about 'hard working families' and 'hard working tax payers' in the news, along with 'strivers and skivers'.

And just wait for the attack on the unemployed when the Election broadcasts start, along with the plants in the audience during the Leaders Debates.

The unemployed will be the scapegoat during the next election as it worked so well last time too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I suppose in general people are bad at keeping secrets, especially when they can gain some benefit by telling all they know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been a drip drip of propaganda since the coalition has been in government.

I'm pretty sure they'll be able to carry on with it for the next year. A programme here, a programme there. The little digs about 'hard working families' and 'hard working tax payers' in the news, along with 'strivers and skivers'.

And just wait for the attack on the unemployed when the Election broadcasts start, along with the plants in the audience during the Leaders Debates.

The unemployed will be the scapegoat during the next election as it worked so well last time too.

So there is a vast conspiracy between the government and (by the sounds of it) a large part of the media to attack the unemployed? And anyone who attacks them is a part of this conspiracy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wording was to point out that I know nothing about how programs get made or who comes up with the concepts. Many people have hinted at a kind of conspiracy between certain sections of the gov't and the media. At higher levels there is always talk about those in charge being in one another's pockets, so I don't think it's that inconceivable.

They'll have been planning this kind of programme out for a longggg time. It took a year of filming and months of editing. Would they really do ALL that because the government asked them to? No, they'd want an end product that would make them money by getting good ratings. People claiming that the media are part of some kind of conspiracy seem to forget that these production companies are based on the concept of producing something the people want to watch. If people didn't want to watch Benefits street, putting it on telly wouldn't make them do so.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you expect anything less from C4 who seems hell bent on demonising everyone on benefits

I am surprised at them frankly, but perhaps I retain too much of the image of them as a broadcaster which had a fair view of all walks of as life they were more like in the early years.
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually felt sorry for the Romanian lads who came here wanting to work to support their families back home. It's disgraceful that the 'boss' was allowed to get away with what he was doing & all I can hope is that behind the scenes, information was passed to the police that would lead to his slave labour scheme being ended.

The Romanian family that collected the scrap metal I also felt for, yes the house was a pigsty & they clearly felt sorry for themselves & had the attitude that their landlord should help them but they were trying to work & they said that all the hours they spent scrap metaling only netted them around £130 a week. I doubt they had much left after paying the rent to the slum landlord.

As for them going home, with what? How are they going to afford the fare home with nothing? They probably spent everything they had coming to this country thinking it would lead to a better life.

Black Dee I find scary. She's so angry about everything & yet does nothing to try to help herself at all, everything is always everyone elses fault but her own. She has a 'the world owes me a living' attitude & always seems to be teetering on the edge of inciting a riot or something.

The rubbish situation made me shake my head in disbelief. It had sat there for weeks strewn all over the path & road & yet Black Dee's answer to the problem was to bag it all up neatly (not for collection by the refuse services on a normal collection day therefore ending the stalemate calmly) but to blockade the road, giving her a chance to yell & use a threatening manner. I can't have been the only person hoping that the refuse collectors would chuck her in the back of their truck when she got inside that bin liner?!

The benefit fraud couple are awful, all they seem to do is sit on the wall outside their house complaining about everyone else & doing nothing to help themselves.

I'm a tax payer & I have no problem with my tax money going towards paying benefits. we are lucky enough to have a decent welfare system that helps those genuinely in need & I'm thankful we do. It's the few people who refuse to help themselves & just want to sit back & take what they can for nothing thinking that they're somehow owed a life of benefits money that irritate me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinched from the internets:

Having watched Benefits Street, it's not much different to Sesame Street.

Both have a big bird, a bloke living out of a bin, and people trying to learn the alphabet.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about Black Dee. She's not right.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh im sure there will be more programs like this, not only from channel 4 bit some of tje other channels
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually felt sorry for the Romanian lads who came here wanting to work to support their families back home. It's disgraceful that the 'boss' was allowed to get away with what he was doing & all I can hope is that behind the scenes, information was passed to the police that would lead to his slave labour scheme being ended.

The Romanian family that collected the scrap metal I also felt for, yes the house was a pigsty & they clearly felt sorry for themselves & had the attitude that their landlord should help them but they were trying to work & they said that all the hours they spent scrap metaling only netted them around £130 a week. I doubt they had much left after paying the rent to the slum landlord.

As for them going home, with what? How are they going to afford the fare home with nothing? They probably spent everything they had coming to this country thinking it would lead to a better life.

Black Dee I find scary. She's so angry about everything & yet does nothing to try to help herself at all, everything is always everyone elses fault but her own. She has a 'the world owes me a living' attitude & always seems to be teetering on the edge of inciting a riot or something.

The rubbish situation made me shake my head in disbelief. It had sat there for weeks strewn all over the path & road & yet Black Dee's answer to the problem was to bag it all up neatly (not for collection by the refuse services on a normal collection day therefore ending the stalemate calmly) but to blockade the road, giving her a chance to yell & use a threatening manner. I can't have been the only person hoping that the refuse collectors would chuck her in the back of their truck when she got inside that bin liner?!

The benefit fraud couple are awful, all they seem to do is sit on the wall outside their house complaining about everyone else & doing nothing to help themselves.

I'm a tax payer & I have no problem with my tax money going towards paying benefits. we are lucky enough to have a decent welfare system that helps those genuinely in need & I'm thankful we do. It's the few people who refuse to help themselves & just want to sit back & take what they can for nothing thinking that they're somehow owed a life of benefits money that irritate me.

The Romanian Embassy in London can help them and provide a passage back there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gloating Tories don't care that people are dying of poverty on the real-life Benefits Street

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gloating-tories-dont-care-people-3022783
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Khan, what a sweetie feeding his Romanian neighbours. They're grafters; give them jobs and proper wages.

I also admired the Britain in Bloom lady's optimism and enthusiasm. Every neighbourhood needs someone like her.
    trevgo wrote: »
    They infuriate me because I resent my taxes paying for their scummy lives, and they should infuriate you because they tarnish your reputation by association, and if they were kicked off benefit then there would be more to go around for the genuine cases.

They do a bit, but then I learn that benefit fraud is 31 times lower than MP expenses fraud (http://politicalscrapbook.net/2011/05/mps-expenses-vs-benefit-fraud/) and that we lose £290m per day to tax avoidance & evasion. That makes me reconsider who my 'fury' should be directed at.

Yes, Benefits Street is about real people but the cases are in no way representative of the majority of people claiming benefits. Viewers will go away with a very negative and distorted perception of benefit claimants and this plays right into the current government's hands.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see why people need to try and say something else is worse, as if it makes a real problem somehow less important. And not every company, banker or MP is up to no good either - so it's funny how it seems fine to generalise when talking about them!

It's like cyclists that ride on pavements, jump red lights and go the wrong way down one way streets in the face of oncoming traffic saying 'but motorists commit far more offences'. Yes, and? Doesn't make it okay to do any of those things, even if statistically you make up a smaller number of offenders.

I hope that a lot of people can see that not everyone is like the people living on this street - I know I don't, and the episode this week did show a little more of a positive side (like people trying hard to work and earn a crust, as well as keep the street looking nice).

Presumably this shows that originally the production crew perhaps DID intend to make a show about community spirit, but after getting all the footage and editing, both it and Channel 4 realised that renaming it to Benefits Street and showing more of the bad sides would get the ratings (which it clearly has).

I now hope in the coming weeks we'll see a bit more balance. But, let's not pretend that these people don't still exist all over the UK - even if it's a small percentage of the overall number of people on benefits quite legitimately.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see why people need to try and say something else is worse, as if it makes a real problem somehow less important. And not every company, banker or MP is up to no good either - so it's funny how easy it is to generalise with them!

It's like cyclists that ride on pavements, jump red lights and go the wrong way down one way streets in the face of oncoming traffic saying 'but motorists commit far more offences'. Yes, and? Doesn't make it okay to do any of those things, even if statistically you make up a smaller number of offenders.

I hope that a lot of people can see that not everyone is like the people living on this street - I know I don't, and the episode this week did show a little more of a positive side (like people trying hard to work and earn a crust, as well as keep the street looking nice).

Presumably this shows that originally the production crew perhaps DID intend to make a show about community spirit, but after getting all the footage and editing, both it and Channel 4 realised that renaming it to Benefits Street and showing more of the bad sides would get the ratings (which it clearly has).

I now hope in the coming weeks we'll see a bit more balance. But, let's not pretend that these people don't still exist all over the UK - even if it's a small percentage of the overall number of people on benefits quite legitimately.

It's not about pretending abuse of the benefits system doesn't happen or unfairly generalising about other groups (like MPs). It's about perspective and how a disproportionate amount of anger seems to be leveled at one set of people when others are getting away with and costing us a lot more.

But that's how this government and the media operates isn't it? Whip people up into a frenzy about migrants and benefit claimants, they're easy targets. It's a convenient way to misdirect public anger and distract from other issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I now hope in the coming weeks we'll see a bit more balance.

I wouldn't put money on it