The Brazilian Press reaction to last nights slaughter

BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
Forum Member
http://imgur.com/a/Hs88z

Some of those pictures and headlines speak a thousand words. Most if not all of the pages have partial translations underneath.

Comments

• Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was ecstatic that Germany won, but I have a heart and I genuinely felt so sorry for the fans, especially the kids... that was horrendous.

I know the feeling of getting trounced..Germany hammered the Republic of Ireland 6-1 in the qualifying rounds. Fans walked out of the stadium and kids were bawling:cry:
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    To lose in that fashion, it must have been traumatic. But I'm glad Germany won. And for the Brazilian fans, it can't get much worse than this. The only way is up.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Germans are very good at ruthlessly thrashing opponents, England fans can testify to that. But it's extra hard for Brazil as they didn't really expect it. That 7-1 game will never really be forgotten but it was just one match. Brazil are still the only team with 5 stars on their shirt badges. They'll recover their perspective in time.
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was over the moon at the half-time score, the only gripe I have is that Germany didn't go for the throat in the second half - I would have liked to have seen double-figures, which could have been easily gettable given the way Brazil were "defending".

I wanted Germany to win beforehand anyway, but what really got my goat was the level hysteria surrounding Neymar's absence before the game. The "Forza Neymar" baseball caps, the holding up of his shirt before the national anthem - the guy was injured, not dying for f***s sake!!

This week Alfredo Di Stefano passed away - one of the truly great players in the history of the game - and yet at the World Cup semi-final, the only thing the Brazilian players were expressing their sadness and heartfelt emotion about was a guy with a poorly back. It's that aura of self-entitlement and self-importance that I just could not stomach from Brazil this week, and to be perfectly honest it's been there since the World Cup started. Coupled with the way that referees seem to have been instructed to not stand in the way of Brazilian advancement (which, in all hubris, resulted in Neymar's injury), and the utter abandonment of jogo bonita which has been overlooked by most of the commentators - there has been nothing to love about this Brazilian side, and plenty to dislike about them.

In short; 7-1 wasn't as big a humiliation as I would have liked to have seen!
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadout wrote: »
    I was over the moon at the half-time score, the only gripe I have is that Germany didn't go for the throat in the second half - I would have liked to have seen double-figures, which could have been easily gettable given the way Brazil were "defending".

I wanted Germany to win beforehand anyway, but what really got my goat was the level hysteria surrounding Neymar's absence before the game. The "Forza Neymar" baseball caps, the holding up of his shirt before the national anthem - the guy was injured, not dying for f***s sake!!

This week Alfredo Di Stefano passed away - one of the truly great players in the history of the game - and yet at the World Cup semi-final, the only thing the Brazilian players were expressing their sadness and heartfelt emotion about was a guy with a poorly back. It's that aura of self-entitlement and self-importance that I just could not stomach from Brazil this week, and to be perfectly honest it's been there since the World Cup started. Coupled with the way that referees seem to have been instructed to not stand in the way of Brazilian advancement (which, in all hubris, resulted in Neymar's injury), and the utter abandonment of jogo bonita which has been overlooked by most of the commentators - there has been nothing to love about this Brazilian side, and plenty to dislike about them.

I agree with everything you've said. I was going to mention the point about Stefano passing away. An unindulgent tribute could have been the Brazilian team holding up a Stefano shirt before kick-off.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything you've said. I was going to mention the point about Stefano passing away. An unindulgent tribute could have been the Brazilian team holding up a Stefano shirt before kick-off.

Right... Whilst the Argentina fans sing "Brazil, how does it feel to be bossed around in your own backyard..." "...Maradona is much greater than Pele..." and dance around with a spine celebrating Neymar's injury.

If Pele passed away do you think Argentina fans would hold up his shirt in tribute?
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadout wrote: »

brilliant post.:)
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Right... Whilst the Argentina fans sing "Brazil, how does it feel to be bossed around in your own backyard..." "...Maradona is much greater than Pele..." and dance around with a spine celebrating Neymar's injury.

If Pele passed away do you think Argentina fans would hold up his shirt in tribute?

But Di Stefano wasn't just Argentinian, he was also Spanish and Colombian!

Joking aside, I would imagine some Argentinian fans would show displeasure if for example Mascherano held up Pele's Brazil shirt - but probably no more than England fans would if Wayne Rooney held up Franz Beckenbauer's Germany shirt if he were to pass away. You'll always get some idiots in the crowd at any football match.

On the whole though, fans would realise that it would be a gesture of respect in memoriam of an opponent - nothing more, nothing less. It's a far bigger slight to ignore their passing altogether.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Brazilian sports daily Lance today went with the title "SomosTodosAlemanha!" (We are all Germany!).
    They really don't like Argentina.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted post.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My prescription for our Brazilian friends...

"It's only a game."

"It's only a game."

Repeat this every three hours and see me at my surgery in a months time. If you still keep getting feelings of despair or a desire to support another football team such as England, call for an emergency appointment. :D