Cabinet Reshuffle- Rumours and what you have heard?

Comments

• Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,128
    Forum Member
    Politics is a funny business. Show me another profession where you can land a top job and a salary of over a hundred grand just a couple of years of starting. Some of the names being touted tonight, Truss, Maudant, McVey, have only been MP's for four years. I'm all for more females in high positions in government to reflect the population, but not just for the sake of it. These are serious briefs and I think the job should go to whoever is the best for the job, not because you need to get a few women on board in time for the election.
  • ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Politics is a funny business. Show me another profession where you can land a top job and a salary of over a hundred grand just a couple of years of starting. Some of the names being touted tonight, Truss, Maudant, McVey, have only been MP's for four years. I'm all for more females in high positions in government to reflect the population, but not just for the sake of it. These are serious briefs and I think the job should go to whoever is the best for the job, not because you need to get a few women on board in time for the election.

I would agree with that, so many women politicians in recent times have been shown not to be up to the senior jobs given them on both sides.

Having said that McVey is quality I have no doubts about her at all, Truss is promising as well. Good women politicians who look and speak well are a major asset.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Nick Robinson has said on Radio 4 this morning, Hague has lost the youthful ambition he once had. He enjoyed the period after he stepped down from the leadership and had to be persuaded to come back to front bench politics. He has now said enough is enough.

It sounds as if he is following in the footsteps of Michael Portillo, and as well as writing - which he clearly wants to do more of - it wouldn't be at all surprising to see him presenting the odd documentary on subjects that he is interested in.
  • Artie FischalArtie Fischal Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I definitely didn't see Hague going. The question is why?

Any chance that he was pushed? Skeletons in the closet maybe? Scandal?

I normally hang on to the words of Tory Party expert Iain Dale. However, in this case, his claim of Hague's departure being predictable, for non sinister reasons, leaves me in doubt.
    The rumours of four years ago: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/sep/01/william-hague-aide-gay-relationship-rumours were quickly and conveniently forgotten. There is also the question about why Hague seems to have forgot about a meeting with Tory whistleblower Anthony Gilberthorpe, shortly after the new Leader Of The House became an MP: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-child-abuse-whistleblower-margaret-384917
    I may be barking up the wrong tree and only time will tell.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fraser Nelson on Hague

William Hague, the brilliant Tory who lost his passion for politics
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/william-hague/10967547/William-Hague-the-brilliant-Tory-who-lost-his-passion-for-politics.html
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    If McVey is quality I'd hate to see a politician who isn't. Not that the bar has been set high, but Truss should be better than her predecessor as the Environment state secretary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gove could be on his way to be party chairman to replace the hapless Shapps to beef up Central Office in the build up to the election.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iain Duncan Smith seems to have a severe personality defect, I wonder what a trained medical professional would label him? I say he is clearly on the pyschopathic spectrum.

The loss of status of being moved-on is seemingly more than he can bear.
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Gove could be on his way to be party chairman to replace the hapless Shapps to beef up Central Office in the build up to the election.

Not according to Iain Dale, he says Shapps is staying where he is and that he gets on really well with Lynton Crosby.
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    Liz Truss for Environment Secretary, according to BBC

Well she does eat shoots and leaves!
    .... sorry
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Rafer wrote: »
    So far the only person who has been replaced is the male Welsh secretary with his male deputy. No women feature as of yet.

That's the 2nd Welsh Secretary to go, and he replaced a woman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    Not according to Iain Dale, he says Shapps is staying where he is and that he gets on really well with Lynton Crosby.

Maybe. Dale has had a good record of predicting the reshuffle so far. He's is just about the only person who was saying Hague would go when everyone else was laughing at the suggestion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe. Dale has had a good record of predicting the reshuffle so far. He's is just about the only person who was saying Hague would go when everyone else was laughing at the suggestion.
    Very true, he does seem to be getting a lot correct.

This is his take so far:

http://www.lbc.co.uk/iain-dales-blog-30195/entry/120/10010
  • DJGAVTDJGAVT Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Shame about Hague as he was one of the few politicians I actually really liked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    .... sorry
    :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Ken Clarke said whether he is to stand down as an MP next year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    .... sorry

They are often confused but different Trusses actually. One is a Liz the other is a Lynne.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Official: Gove Chief Whip! Didn't see that one coming.

I suppose that frees him up, like Hague, to do a lot more campaigning around the country.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reshuffle being announced on Twitter if you're interested

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nor me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose that frees him up, like Hague, to do a lot more campaigning around the country.
    That seems to be the plan, doesn't it? This is looking more and more like a cabinet for fighting an election. No 10 says he will have an "enhanced role in campaigning and doing media interviews".

Somewhere in England Judge Mental is putting out the bunting and singing the Hallelujah Chorus :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are often confused but different Trusses actually. One is a Liz the other is a Lynne.

Oh :(
    You'll be telling me that all those Louise Bagshawe books I treasure were not written by a former MP next ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puterkid wrote: »
    I so want IDS and Gove to go, but that was never going to happen, gutless Cameron! Well, I guess he has shown us often enough what great judgement of character he has!

Gove has moved so I expect your next post will praise Cameron for his strength in making the right decision. I take it he can count on your vote now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I follow politics a lot more closely than most, and I can honestly say that the name Nicky Morgan meant absolutely nothing to me until this morning.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    That seems to be the plan, doesn't it? This is looking more and more like a cabinet for fighting an election. No 10 says he will have an "enhanced role in campaigning and doing media interviews".

Somewhere in England Judge Mental is putting out the bunting and singing the Hallelujah Chorus :D

He has been given a large media and campaigning role, but a shame we had to lose a good Education Secretary.