Ofcom finds Top Gear/BBC breached guidelines

13»

Comments

• Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Scripted and offensive. In other words premeditated.

Top Gear is the same as Towie or Geordie Shore except with a bigger budget and a Middle Aged audience.

And what's wrong with a middle aged audience? That comment sounds ageist to me.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and yes.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all about money. If he damages the BBC brand more than he earns money for them he is out the door faster than Russell Brand and Wossy
    He could appear on TV in a Jimmy Saville mask doing unspeakable things to a photograph of Thora Hird and he still would make the BBC more money than the damage to the BBC 'brand' would lose them. Mostly because to the large part of the world (including the UK) 'Top Gear' is a brand entirely separate to the BBC anyway. People don't care who originated the format or who owns the rights. They see the presenters and the show's logo. Do Big Brother contestants doing idiotic things damage 'Brand Endemol'? Do you think the majority of the watchers of that show actually know what Endemol is?

The only people who associate TG specifically with the BBC are people who want to use the excesses of Top Gear as a stick to beat the BBC with. Nobody else cares.

Clarkson could significantly damage Brand Clarkson, but the most damage he could do to the BBC would be by quitting.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Where do we complain about the use of the very offensive phrase 'playing dumb'. If you are going to complain about someone using a non-PC word then you should really be careful not do so yourself. I presume you will be making a large donation to a suitable charity as an apology. :)

Post of the Week.

<applause>

I can think of many reasons why this tired, predictable, patronising pile of large budget bilge should be retired, but the use of "that word" is not amongst them.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Post of the Week.

<applause>

The sound of one-hand clapping.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/dumb
    INFORMAL , chiefly North American Stupid:
    a dumb question
    Usage

Although dumb meaning ‘not able to speak’ is the older sense, it has been overwhelmed by the newer sense (meaning ‘stupid’)

http://www.idiomeanings.com/idioms/play-dumb/
    The meaning of the idiom, to play dumb, is to pretend not to know or understand.

http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic5104.html

FYI - 24 MILLION+ Google matches for "Play Dumb". As I said, a phrase in common parlance and not pejorative or offensive however much some people with agendas might like to misrepresent it as being. I pity them.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    FYI - 24 MILLION+ Google matches for "Play Dumb". As I said, a phrase in common parlance and not pejorative or offensive however much some people with agendas might like to misrepresent it as being. I pity them.

Google does not really prove anything, there are 12,500,000 matches on the dreaded 'N; word.

I was just pointing out that if you are objecting to one allegedly offensive word then it is a good idea to avoid using other allegedly offensive words or phrases whilst doing so.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google does not really prove anything, there are 12,500,000 matches on the dreaded 'N; word.

It proves it is a phrase in common, uncontested (except on here) parlance. There`s no outrage anywhere (except here, but it`s faux) when someone uses the phrase on TV or in print.
    I was just pointing out that if you are objecting to one allegedly offensive word then it is a good idea to avoid using other allegedly offensive words or phrases whilst doing so.

There`s no "allegedly" about Clarkson`s use of "slope" in the context he used it, illustrated by the shot they used. Ofcom have been crystal clear on this.

"Play dumb" is not pejorative or offensive used in the context that it is thousands of times a day all over the world.

But then you already knew all of that.....

BBC stalwart Mark (Sherlock) Gatiss suggesting Clarkson should go:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-should-sacked-suggests-3930678
    "So Clarkson was given one last chance, yes? So now he'll have to go, yes?"

I guess we`ll not be seeing him in the "Star in a reasonably priced car" slot!
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sighs*

Not again, this is utterly ridiculous.

I'm fat, very fat. Should I complain every time I hear a fat joke? No, I shouldn't cos it's just a joke, as is the TG comment about the bridge.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    *sighs*

I'm fat, very fat. Should I complain every time I hear a fat joke? No, I shouldn't cos it's just a joke, as is the TG comment about the bridge.

I was wondering about complaining every time 'joke is mentioned and claim that I am a Grauniad reader so don't understand the concept of a joke.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    *sighs*

you are fat through choice. you dont get to choose your race.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Could be a medical issue maybe you should ask first, not all fat people are fat because of too many cakes and sweets.

Reaction to steroids etc.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are fat/obese not through choice but through medical or even genetic conditions.