60's Top Sellers

2»

Comments

• Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    I have a feeling that song was first a hit in Italy - Simon Napier-Bell who was later to become Wham's manager had a hand in the English lyrics along with Vicki Wickham who produced 'Ready, Steady, Go'.
    Italian it is - I bow to your superior knowledge!

They're riddled with factual errors, but really I like Simon Napier-Bell's trilogy of books about the music biz, in which he's very cavalier about those lyrics, saying they basically tossed them off in an hour before the recording session...
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Interesting! I thought Francoise Hardy sang that song first! :D
    Somehow I think The Seekers were probably the first performers of I'll Never Find Another You, they certainly made it famous anyway.

I'm sure they were as Tom Springfield wrote and produced it. It would have been the music publishers job to hawk the song around to maximise Tom's royalties so I suspect that foreign version was recorded a little later.

Cilla Black of course had 2 attempts at jumping the gun on the then contempary US originals - 'Anyone Who Had A Heart' (worked a treat, a No.1) and her ghastly cover of 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling'.:)