Options

Replacing batteries on Cordless Phones

Ok, I apologise in advance if this sounds dumb.

I have 3 Cordless Telephones in my house, Philips CD23 something or other. The batteries have needed replacing for some time and I finally got round to it last week.

I unregistered 2 of the handsets so I could charge them up with out any interruptions, remembering that when I bought them they had to be charged for 24 hours before first use.

The batteries it came with were 650mah and the new batteries are 700mah as I can't seem to find any 650mah anywhere.

The problem is that after 24 hours the battery indicator was still showing as charging (the bars going up) and I am sure that this normally stops well before the 24 hours. I left them for nearly 36 hours and it was still going up. However I took them off the cradles and then put them back and have used them as normal and the indicator has now stopped and is showing as normal.

What have I done wrong (if anything)?

Why didn't the indicator stop charging?

Please help

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt there is any real problem. What might have confused the charger is the different capacity of the replacement batteries. Though 700mAh isn't that much higher than the originals.

If the charger has damaged the batteries in any way (unlikely) then you'll soon find out as they probably won't run as long as you expect. But if they work OK and last at least as long as the originals before losing charge then everything should be OK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    You can't just use any old AAA rechargeable battery. They have to be the correct type of battery, or the charger may not be able to cope.

Most current cordless phones use Ni-MH (Nickel-Metal Hydride) batteries but there are still a lot of Ni-Cd (Nickel-Cadmium) batteries around. So your first job is the check that the new batteries are the same type as the old ones. (The capacity, xxx mAh don't make no neverrmind although these days they are mostly 700 mAh.)
  • Options
    Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Sorry I have taken so long to reply but I haven't been online or a while.

Well I have made sure the batteries are the correct ones and have noticed that the charging indicator isn't going up all the time so I think they have setttled in. I am now able to use the phones without them cutting out or dying so I will say things are ok.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    700 mah is low these days, although our supermarkets buy cheap and sell high not wanting to dislodge their disposable battery cash cow.

Aldi's batteries are 850 mAh methinks at £2.80 for 4.
    1000 mAh are fairly common over the internet though a slight less capacity might ensure better manufacturing quality

Chargers measure the charge voltage so they should cope with any capacity.