Recorded announcements in the 70's and 80's.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,305
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Had to use this forum as I can't find any other relating to telephony, is there one?

Was just wondering, does anybody know how they used to actually make telephone recorded announcements in the 70s & 80s on landline telephones?

I'm sure that today it is all computer driven, but what did they do all those years ago, how did it work exactly?

Comments

• prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    You want the landline phones forum
    http://digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone slightly nostalgic for the past life of the telephone system should go to www.telephonesuk.co.uk

There's even a number that you can dial to connect to the old speaking clock.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your replies. I'll ask for this to be moved to the correct place :)
  • JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appleseed wrote: »
    Anyone slightly nostalgic for the past life of the telephone system should go to www.telephonesuk.co.uk

Thanks for that link.

A very interesting read (and listen).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's even a number that you can dial to connect to the old speaking clock.

I wonder how they did that! Did they make a sample recording of her before it closed, licence the recording or buy the (very old) system?
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how they did that! Did they make a sample recording of her before it closed, licence the recording or buy the (very old) system?
    It actually tells you the correct time, so I assume they have secured one of the old speaking clock set-ups.

Could try emailing the site owner, i'm sure he'd be glad to answer queries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It actually tells you the correct time, so I assume they have secured one of the old speaking clock set-ups.

Could try emailing the site owner, i'm sure he'd be glad to answer queries.

I tried, but, due to spam, their email address is no longer in service.

Using the feedback form results in the following error message:

Cannot open "we80.cnf": no such file or folder.

:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a great site that is.

Telephones pre-1960: terrific pics and I'd like one of these right now please.

The "Intrinsically Safe Telephone" probably wouldn't be if dropped on your foot.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I had a bit of a laugh today when talking to a friend about modern technology v 'the old days' ....
    I remember when I was about 15 (1966), myself and my Mum in a phone box, can't at all remember who she was ringing, some company or other.

She phoned and pressed button A, got through to a recorded message (a fairly new thing, correct me if I'm wrong) and listened to the lady. As I remember the message just kept repeating over and over (again I may be wrong ... memory) and my poor old Mum was saying '' hello can you hear me'' ''what's wrong with her'' to me.
    We had great laughs about that over the years.
    Mum died in '99, I don't know what she would make of technology these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to have been a teenager in the 1960's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well the best thing for teenagers in the sixties was the fab pop music... but that's a subject for a different thread in a different forum. I can tell you here though, it was great!
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The recording I remember most in the 60's and 70's was: "Lines from Manchester are engaged, please try later" every time you tried to make a long distance phone call. It could sometimes take over an hour to get a clear line to Blackpool.
  • JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to have been a teenager in the 1960's.

In the sixties you could make free local calls from a phone box by 'tapping' out the number.

Not that I would ever have dreamed of doing such a thing, of course. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... or you could press button B and occasionally get somebody else's money back.
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Or you could shout a message like "I've just left, I'll be home in half an hour" into the coin return and then press button B and get your money back. (There was a microphone inside. As you dropped coins in they fell against various "gongs" which the operator could hear to find out how much money you had put in). Around 1953 there were still some type 9 dials in London which you could "back-dial", or better still, wind the dial right round (this opened the "emergency" contacts, attach a crocodile clip to stop the dial going back to its stop fully and the just dial away! I never did any of this, of course. We used to have regular "educational" visits to Paddington Exchange and it was essential to take notes - these notes being the "trunk" codes for operators (before the days of SUBSCRIBER Trunk Dialling). There was then a way of dialling "FED9" cutting it off just after it came on and away you dialled. We had a chap at college used to speak to Glasgow regularly!