Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    I'm not bitching for the sake of it. I'm bitching because it's one of the worst written shows in recent time and I'm still stunned by all the praise Gervais is getting for it.

I won't buy the DVD but I will continue watching.

"so why watch it!" :confused:
  • AKindSoulAKindSoul Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Tylersnan wrote: »

Because Hankshaw feels his input is valuable and relevant.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazman wrote: »
    Why is you so angry and bitter Mr. Hankshaw?

Not bitter or angry. A little annoyed perhaps that Ricky Gervais has been able to take his offensive Derek character and put it into a prime time show without distancing it from it's origins as well as completely denying them at the same time. I'm waiting for a high profile entertainer or comedian to take him down a few pegs and shame him.

I'm just pointing out all of the inconsistent, hypocritical, lazy and bizarre elements of the show. Many people talk about how well written and kind and heart warming it is without actually explaining why they think this. So I'm just offering up reasons why I disagree with that.

If the show is so great and I am so wrong, anyone should be able to blow all of my points out of the water.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »

Because I'm fascinated by the behaviour and work of Ricky Gervais and I feel certain views need to be made. His awful work must be critiqued even when everyone else is praising it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKindSoul wrote: »
    Because Hankshaw feels his input is valuable and relevant.

As much as yours. I'm just posting on a forum. If you want to focus on my opinion more than anyone elses then I'm flattered.
  • ChoccyPeanutsChoccyPeanuts Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    There seems to be a lot of hate for the Kev character. Does no one else think that he is a lovable rouge?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Earl is great and Kev is quite funny with his disgusting behaviour. His character does jar with the rest of the show and his continued presence in the care home is a mystery.

A lovable rogue might be pushing it though. He's quite seedy.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    I was just about to post the same thing. I was bewildered by the posts accusing the show's critics of spite and looking down on those who enjoy it; I haven't seen any evidence of either on this thread. The point the critics are making is about RG's previous form as regards the Derek-type character and also the Susan Boyle incident. But definitely no spite or looking down on people.

The reason why I'm focusing on this accusation is because it's a similar response to the one we've seen from Ricky when criticised (as discussed a few posts back): i.e. painting the critics as somehow nasty or small-minded rather than listening to what they've actually said. (I must stress that I'm not referring to any poster in particular, BTW...just a general pattern I've often seen emerge when people post perfectly polite and reasoned criticisms of RG, and get accused of something much more extreme that they don't deserve.)

I enjoyed a lot of the show and will watch it again....I also loved Extras and The Office, so I'm emphatically not a Ricky-hater. But my liking of his work doesn't negate how I feel about the Susan Boyle thing and the previous, less compassionate, incarnations of the Derek-type character.

Yes, I agree. I think that it's sometimes the case, if not more than often, that some people who are fans of something will try to find a reason to defend their favourite thing from anyone who they perceive to be 'the enemy'. If there isn't an 'enemy' to rail against then they'll make one up so that they can defend against it. I think you see it more on the reality television and music forums though. Especially the music forums.
    I'll include Ricky Gervais himself here as well, as he appears to be a fan of himself.:D

Plenty of people in this thread have said that they really enjoy Derek and I have just left them alone as there's no reason for me to have a go at them at all. And I find most of them to be okay who haven't had a go at anyone else either. No reason for me to provoke them.

As it goes I enjoyed last night's episode. My favourite episode of the series so far.

I'll get minor criticisms out of the way. Back to Derek falling into the pond territory when he licked the frog. And this episode I think made it a clear that he has 'problems'.
    Derek also didn't appear to be that 'nice' the way he was talking to that old woman.

Kev seems to be a cardboard cutout character too. He seems to be too much of an obvious hate figure who we're supposed and expected to hate. no depth or ambiguity about the character there at all. Not like a fully rounded character that seems as real as say Hannah or Dougie.
    Why would he even be allowed near the premises considering what happened the other week where he was found in a resident's bed with a can of lager in hand. Just can't believe that at all. Hannah wouldn't allow it if she cares about the residents and Kev is a liability with no redeeming features.

Still a bit too much overly sentimental piano used when it wasn't needed at all. I will 'get' an emotional scene, I don't need a piano to spoonfeed it to me. It's got to be careful about this if they're going to use this for effect every week, because this is something that's going to be the first thing which comes to mind in people's minds when this show is mentioned in the future. I can already see it being parodied in some other comedy show.

However I think there was much more of a story to this episode. Good little story about the old woman dying, her ring', her family who are just waiting for her to die and leave them the ring, and the possible engagement story. It all seemed to run quite well. Hannah was great, her boyfriend got more of a role and was heavily involved with the story. And Dougie delivered again in the scenes he was in. Karl had some good scenes in this episode.

I think it was balanced a lot better than usual with Hannah's boyfriend Tom getting more of a role, and the story with the old woman dying who actually got a part as a real character worked well.
    Maybe using characters more by fleshing them out in little stories like this one is the way to go for this?
    Good episode, all things considered.
  • ChoccyPeanutsChoccyPeanuts Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    David Earl is great and Kev is quite funny with his disgusting behaviour. His character does jar with the rest of the show and his continued presence in the care home is a mystery.

A lovable rogue might be pushing it though. He's quite seedy.
    Ha ha, I was just kidding with that. He really is one of the most disgusting characters I've seen on television, but I love him for that. :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    The daughter character is so over the top it doesnt seem true anyone would behave like that

I suppose so. Not openly anyway. I'd imagine that if you did have such intentions in real life you'd sort of try and mask them to some extent wouldn't you?
    Not be like a pantomime baddie.

It's still very hit and miss for me, but I did enjoy last night's episode and it was my favourite one so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Sat up as soon as Dougie came in. Love his rants. He tells it like it is.

I thought Tom talking to Kev might be another "**** off Finchy" moment.

I think that they tend to use Dougie for the 'F**k off Finchy moments.
    They're good, but I hope it doesn't become a habit, because already this show is starting to develop a box of pick and mix of tried and tested cliches that are borrowed from one episode to another.

Somebody somewhere is probably compiling some edited youtube video together by assembling a fan generated generic episode of Derek by assembling the sorts of same mix and match clips they use from week to week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northcroft wrote: »
    Get rid of Kev ffs, he lets it down
    Good though, and they didn't do the obvious and keep the ring from the daughter

They need Kev though.

Because I'd wager that he's there for the final episode of the series in the closing scenes where Dougie can do his 'F**k off' moment for effect again. To which Hannah will probably make him a cup of tea or something as a reward.
    It feels that this is what he's there to be set up for, as it appears that this is the sort of thing that people would like to happen.

Provide a pointless character, who nobody likes, and who serves no discernible purpose, and make him so that people can't stand him, and then have a repeat of the 'F**k off Chris!' scene from the final episode of The Office for a dramatic effect in the finale as it's what people want.
    They need Kev for that.

It's worked three times before, once in The Office, and Twice in Derek already, so maybe you can keep on doing it indefinitely? Maybe it's clever writing. Tried and tested a few times before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bitter or angry. A little annoyed perhaps that Ricky Gervais has been able to take his offensive Derek character and put it into a prime time show without distancing it from it's origins as well as completely denying them at the same time. I'm waiting for a high profile entertainer or comedian to take him down a few pegs and shame him.

I'm just pointing out all of the inconsistent, hypocritical, lazy and bizarre elements of the show. Many people talk about how well written and kind and heart warming it is without actually explaining why they think this. So I'm just offering up reasons why I disagree with that.

If the show is so great and I am so wrong, anyone should be able to blow all of my points out of the water.

I remember Charlie Higson speaking about Ricky Gervais and from what he said it appeared that he couldn't stand him.
    I also remember years ago on The 11 O'Clock Show he and Iain Lee appeared to detest each other. At the time I wondered if it was real or put on for the show. I saw them appear on some other show as guests and they wouldn't even sit next to each other. But I've never known to this day if the animosity was real or if it was some in-joke they shared with each other and just did it for the laugh.

There was also the Ricky Gervais series 'Ricky Meets.....' where Ricky met up with a few of his comedy heroes. Larry David, Christopher Guest, and Garry Shandling.
    It's got to be said that I don't think that Garry Shandling appeared to like Gervais at all. It came across as very awkward and it appeared that Shandling just simply didn't seem to like Ricky Gervais.
    Again, I'm not sure how real the dislike was, but it came across as though he didn't really hold Gervais in high regard to say the least.

So occasionally these showbiz type people aren't always going to like each other. But I think nowadays as Ricky Gervais is successful, some people may be in a position where they may work with him in the future so I think there's less chance of anyone really having much to say against him.
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The daughter and the ring was spot on, my mum worked in an old peoples home for 20 years and said there were often scenes like that, it was usually between the children though when they argued at the bedside about who the valuables had been promised to.
    At one funeral there was a terrible row when one woman saw a ring of her mothers on her brothers wife's finger.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not. However in this show it's the only case. Which makes this show a little hard to swallow with all it's morally superior messages.

Another round of lazy acting and inconsistent writing from Gervais once again.

Laughing at fat, unattractive women. So warm hearted and wonderful and subtle and nuanced from the pen of Gervais. Anyone who doesn't laugh at that simply doesn't get it.

I noticed the kind Derek was actually embarrassed by Kev's overweight girlfriend. So much for that pure kindness then.

Gervais breaking character with the 'This is sickening.' line, to promote how much he loves animals I guess. Just lazy acting really that he can't stay in character.

Hannah's boyfriend keeps bothering her in the day. Just to emphasise how dedicated she is to her work. Laying it on thick now. We get it, she's good at her job.

Hannah knew that Kev had used the scales to weigh his dick. But she decided not to wash them, throw them away or ban Kev from the home. Maybe she isn't so good at her job.

The sly and deceitful Derek is suddenly an idiot again when it comes to a frog ornament. Anything for an easy laugh, who cares about proper writing.

Kind Derek scavenging other peoples food. Typical Derek behaviour.

Oh and we get Derek crying into the camera now. I hope those tears are from guilt for how poorly he treats the residents. I doubt it though.

And that woman was right to question Derek working there. He is rude to the residents, has brought in an alcoholic sex pest who hangs about, takes up far too much time and energy of the other staff and does no work in the home. He's a liability and a drain on their resources.

Others have accused you of being bitter. I'd say just a little bit sad.

I do this thing when I really don't like a TV show of just not watching it. Saves me the time actually watching it, and then to conjure up a bullet point list of criticisms.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Others have accused you of being bitter. I'd say just a little bit sad.

I do this thing when I really don't like a TV show of just not watching it. Saves me the time actually watching it, and then to conjure up a bullet point list of criticisms.

All of his posts are like a Daily Mail diatribe. There's an irony in the posts reading stuff like "Yes, we get it Ricky, they're old people" or "Yes, we get it Ricky, Hannah's good at her job" yet he's the most repetitive thing going.

Yes, we get it Hankshaw, you don't like the show or RG.

I might join the TOWIE forum and continuously slag it off, or i might just get on with my life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is this? Mob mentality?

Why is it anybody's business why a poster watches the show or not? It's up to them.

I think that some of these posts which are just insults designed to attack an individual in a personal way are unacceptable.

So you like it, and a poster doesn't. So what? Live and let live. No need to get personal and turn the discussion into being about posters and their viewing habits.

"But they watch it and then criticise it. Why do they watch it? Why?".
    Doesn't matter why. It's their business not yours.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm officially giving up on Derek. Very few actually funny moments and, for me, the message that no-one bothers about the elderly except the people in that home is getting tired. Pan over a few miserable looking old people, Derek does something silly, Hannah proves she's devoted to her job, Karl throws someone out and on to next week for more of the same. I've tried, but its just not for me.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read the latter end of this thread as I am watching Derek a week behind so haven't seen the third episode. After just seeing the second I have to say I really love it.

I haven't really watched much RG and don't have an opinion on his stuff so I'm watching this just as a half hour entertainment program and I think it is the best thing I have seen on TV in ages.

I am have a reasonable amount of contact with people with learning difficulties and the Derek character is remarkably accurate. There is no reason why he shouldn't have the job in the care home - he is capable of doing it and seems to really care about the residents. He knows all their names and their personalities. There is also no reason at all why he can't occasionally come out with something clever and witty. Having some kind of learning disability isn't black and white, it doesn't mean you can't be smart or funny. It is different for each person and also they can behave/react differently depending on their mood.

Like many others I can't stand the pervert chap. He makes me cringe. I thing the program does need him though - it would be too saccharine without him and there is never a perfect group of people - there is always someone who doesn't fit. It seems he has his own problems with social skills and boundaries!

To me this program is a lovely escape for 30 minutes and is very thought provoking (as you can see from the endless discussions on here). It is a 'mockumentary' not a documentary so of course it isn't going to be totally realistic - it would be boring if it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Because I'm fascinated by the behaviour and work of Ricky Gervais and I feel certain views need to be made. His awful work must be critiqued even when everyone else is praising it.

You're watching something purely so you can take dump on it and ruin everyone else's fun, how sad....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I find it funny that certain people on here go on about self-censorship for RG but won't apply it to themselves.

Saying you were bitter Hankshaw isn't a personal insult; that's me airing my perception of you based on what you have posted. That's me being subjective, giving my opinion - I'm not professing to be correct or factual in any way. The same applies to you based on your disapproval of RG's playing the character of Derek - only you care so much about him causing offence, all your posts appear to indicate is that you're trying to whip up some faux outrage akin to that of a Daily Mail article.

Oh and since when is saying "sickening" considered breaking character - that's just highlighted your own perceptions of what someone with learning difficulties / disabilites can do/say - spend time with anyone coping with difficutlies like that, and you'll find people just as astute as the rest of us and just as capable of saying anything we can.

Just because You are offended doesn't mean anyone else is, and it certainly doesn't mean you are right!
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I watched 'Mrs Browns boys' once, it was bloody awful, I can't bring myself to keep watching it just so I can moan about it on forums, and I don't really feel the need to air my views on how diabolical I found it, it really doesn't bother me if people find it hilarious, why would they care if I hate it?.... life is far too short to get in a pickle over a TV show or person you don't like..
  • NorthcroftNorthcroft Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    They need Kev though.

Because I'd wager that he's there for the final episode of the series in the closing scenes where Dougie can do his 'F**k off' moment for effect again. To which Hannah will probably make him a cup of tea or something as a reward.
    It feels that this is what he's there to be set up for, as it appears that this is the sort of thing that people would like to happen.

Provide a pointless character, who nobody likes, and who serves no discernible purpose, and make him so that people can't stand him, and then have a repeat of the 'F**k off Chris!' scene from the final episode of The Office for a dramatic effect in the finale as it's what people want.
    They need Kev for that.

It's worked three times before, once in The Office, and Twice in Derek already, so maybe you can keep on doing it indefinitely? Maybe it's clever writing. Tried and tested a few times before.

I'm not sure, personally I loved Finchy, he was my favourite character in the Office.
    This Kev just annoys me, perhaps he's too OTT and unbelievable
    I'm sure some of us have a mate like Finchy, a ladies man who chats up the birds
    Finchy was believable
    Kev isn't. As has been said, he wouldn't be allowed in there in the first place, and once discovered in bed with a resident he'd probably get arrested and banned from going within a mile of the place
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Not bitter or angry.

You're awake at 2:00am, bitching on the Internet about a programme you don't like. The sadness of your life is overwhelming me. Stop watching it and sort your life out.

The scene at the end with the fat daughter made me laugh because, through my work, I had to deal with just such a character... she was a vile creature. A colleague did what Dougie did, but without the swearing... sadly. :D His verbal demolition of her was beautifully eloquent. We took him out after work and got him drunk as a 'thank you'. :D

So to the person, earlier in the thread, who thought that character was unrealistic, I'm sorry to say you are wrong.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened during last nights epsiode sadly happens in real life, A family member who probably doesnt visit there relative very much, suddenly turns up, expecting that are gonna get what they deem as theres, the women who died, seemed clear in her mind, what she wanted to do with that ring, with giving it to hannah