Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Do you guys ever notice how teeny tiny those vials are that patients (like pregnant Maureen) have to wee into? :eek:
    Gosh, the vials that patients have had to spit into seemed bigger than the wee ones! :confused:

Even worse, he gives the same little ones for stool samples!
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    And I also suspect that Martin Ellingham has a bit of a lead foot. Wouldn't that be an interesting storyline. Louisa running him out to house calls on the moor with JH tagging along in the backseat!

You know, I got the opposite about DM.

We know Martin doesn't even like to drive, so it would be odd if he had to to have a lead foot. Martin seems a very careful driver, not in competition with other drivers on the road (in fact, as in the S1E1 show, nearly terrified of them, as with the two men in the truck), and goes at a decent speed so he can stop without sofas in the road. His accident with Roger was just them not seeing each other but not due to speed.

I think Martin drives at the speed limit.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With regard to MC's temporary loss of driving privileges, I feel it has alot to do with his stardom as an actor and the sophisticated electronic equipment that the police have on board their vehicles. In USA I noticed in the last decade or so that the people in the public eye can't get away with anything and almost must be puritanical in their behavior, they can't be like the rest of us anyone--the price they pay for reaching the heights. The stark contrast I noticed was that at the 2011 Buckham Fair there was much video footage put on You Tube for us to enjoy by people present and how lovely it was for MC to mingle in the crowds and having a great time. This past summer I have not seen anything on the 2012 fair, unless I missed something. It would be a great shame if he has to be restricted from enjoying the crowds around him.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    With regard to MC's temporary loss of driving privileges, I feel it has alot to do with his stardom as an actor and the sophisticated electronic equipment that the police have on board their vehicles. In USA I noticed in the last decade or so that the people in the public eye can't get away with anything and almost must be puritanical in their behavior, they can't be like the rest of us anyone--the price they pay for reaching the heights. The stark contrast I noticed was that at the 2011 Buckham Fair there was much video footage put on You Tube for us to enjoy by people present and how lovely it was for MC to mingle in the crowds and having a great time. This past summer I have not seen anything on the 2012 fair, unless I missed something. It would be a great shame if he has to be restricted from enjoying the crowds around him.

Speaking of sophisticated electronic devices, in New Zealand my husband was stopped for speeding and automatically administered a breathalyzer test by some little device the policeman stuck in the car window. No fooling around about right to refuse, etc. Fortunately, that was not the issue -- just his lead foot. This is a habit which is not exactly discouraged here in Michigan -- a state of speed limit scofflaws.

I also think that certain cars attract the attention of police -- don't know if the BMW MC is reputed to own (2006) is one of them. Also, England is rife with speed cameras, some with helpful warning signs, some not. I really don't know how a habitual speeder could escape being ticketed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you guys ever notice how teeny tiny those vials are that patients (like pregnant Maureen) have to wee into? :eek:
    Gosh, the vials that patients have had to spit into seemed bigger than the wee ones! :confused:
    Even worse, he gives the same little ones for stool samples!

Hi, ReneeBird and Shop Girl. I always crack up when I see the teeny tiny vials he hands out for samples (of either kind). I wonder if it's meant as a joke by BP or if this is standard issue. First time I saw him give someone one of those little vials, I thought, NO WAY!

I actually thought about this last week when I had to go to my doctor's office for some lab work associated with a yearly physical. I thanked my lucky stars that my doc's office provided cups of a decent size. Wonder what the lab tech thought when I emerged from the restroom with a little smile on my face.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Hi, ReneeBird and Shop Girl. I always crack up when I see the teeny tiny vials he hands out for samples (of either kind). I wonder if it's meant as a joke by BP or if this is standard issue. First time I saw him give someone one of those little vials, I thought, NO WAY!

I actually thought about this last week when I had to go to my doctor's office for some lab work associated with a yearly physical. I thanked my lucky stars that my doc's office provided cups of a decent size. Wonder what the lab tech thought when I emerged from the restroom with a little smile on my face.

Haha, that's funny Biffpup! I sometimes wonder if Doc gets some sort of perverse pleasure in handing out these small vials?! :rolleyes:
    Btw, I love Louisa's white tank top in this episode of "The Family Way." I wish I could get a cute tank top just like that. And, the cute gray sweater she wears over it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Speaking of sophisticated electronic devices, in New Zealand my husband was stopped for speeding and automatically administered a breathalyzer test by some little device the policeman stuck in the car window. No fooling around about right to refuse, etc. Fortunately, that was not the issue -- just his lead foot. This is a habit which is not exactly discouraged here in Michigan -- a state of speed limit scofflaws.

I also think that certain cars attract the attention of police -- don't know if the BMW MC is reputed to own (2006) is one of them. Also, England is rife with speed cameras, some with helpful warning signs, some not. I really don't know how a habitual speeder could escape being ticketed.

Here in New Jersey in my town we have a device on top of the traffic lights at intersections that if you "jump the light" the camera takes a snap of your car resulting in a ticket with proof. Also, in our public parking lot behind the downtown stores you pay your fee at the pay station and the patrol car can ride back there every now and again and by a device can tell if you have overextended your time and get ticketed. I know of someone who, after an evening out with a friend at a club, realizing he had too much to drink, pulled off to the side of the highway at a rest area to take time out until he felt he could continue. A police officer pulled up and he was ticketed with the charge of drinking while driving, (even though his car was stopped), a very serious offense here. He had to lawyer up to get the charge dismissed, a very expensive process.

NewPark - you mentioned MC's BMW, what about a red car? Best to just own an average looking car and mind the driving rules and regulations.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We do use larger cups in US medicine. I was equally surprised by the small ones in use with DM.

And, of course, one defecates into some non-toilet item and then spoons the stool into the vial. There are items sold at drug stores to place under the seat which has a cup to defecate in or folks can do it in paper bowls, on newspapers, Tupperware containers, etc.

Urination in those little vials might be a bit messy for us women but they'd collect some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, that's funny Biffpup! I sometimes wonder if Doc gets some sort of perverse pleasure in handing out these small vials?! :rolleyes:
    Btw, I love Louisa's white tank top in this episode of "The Family Way." I wish I could get a cute tank top just like that. And, the cute gray sweater she wears over it!

And the cute doctor who is in love with her?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member

*sigh* I love you guys. Nice to have people who share my views. (And what a gorgeous view...;))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the cute GRAY doctor who is in love with her...

sigh, BIG sigh indeed ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody else notice that Louisa apparently changed cars between S1 and S2? She drove up to Danny's mother's house in a grey hatchback (?) but in S1 had a smaller, black car.

Which suggests that BP gets the best lease deal they can, season to season.

Of course, we know she disposed of her car (whichever) before S4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sigh* I love you guys. Nice to have people who share my views. (And what a gorgeous view...;))
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    And the cute GRAY doctor who is in love with her...

sigh, BIG sigh indeed ;)

And the cute gray eyed, blue eyed, gray-blue eyed? You guys who are going to PortWenn had better find out just exactly what color Martin Clunes eyes are! And report back to the rest of us! :mad:;):p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »

marchrand wrote: »
    Here in New Jersey in my town we have a device on top of the traffic lights at intersections that if you "jump the light" the camera takes a snap of your car resulting in a ticket with proof. Also, in our public parking lot behind the downtown stores you pay your fee at the pay station and the patrol car can ride back there every now and again and by a device can tell if you have overextended your time and get ticketed. I know of someone who, after an evening out with a friend at a club, realizing he had too much to drink, pulled off to the side of the highway at a rest area to take time out until he felt he could continue. A police officer pulled up and he was ticketed with the charge of drinking while driving, (even though his car was stopped), a very serious offense here. He had to lawyer up to get the charge dismissed, a very expensive process.

NewPark - you mentioned MC's BMW, what about a red car? Best to just own an average looking car and mind the driving rules and regulations.

Just incase you are visiting Australia you should know that they do random breath tests on drivers all the time - they just pull up however many cars they want on the side of the road and test you. If you are over 0.05 blood alcohol they take you to the van or station for a more accurate test. If you refuse a test you get booked, automatically.

Sleeping in the car while drunk is also an offense here and can't be dismissed by the courts. Which is a ridiculous rule.

Our new speed cameras are accurate to 4km/hr so if you speed you can only "safely" do so 4km over the speed limit.

My son lost his licence (p plate, so one offence and you are gone) for 3 months and when he got it back the police stopped him at least once a month just to randomly breath test him and obviously they checked his speed at all times. We figured they had the number plate and they obviously looked out for it. My other son drove that car and got stopped too!

I was pleased that the police were keeping an eye on my wayward son but he couldn't shake them till he sold the car!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Somehow, I am not surprised that MC is a speeder with his personality, all the country driving he does, and probably a pretty nice car. And with all the driving all over this last year with 2 movies, the horse documentary and all the appearances for BHS (and who knows what other stuff) I'm also not surprised he has been caught several times.
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    You know, I got the opposite about DM.

We know Martin doesn't even like to drive, so it would be odd if he had to to have a lead foot. Martin seems a very careful driver, not in competition with other drivers on the road (in fact, as in the S1E1 show, nearly terrified of them, as with the two men in the truck), and goes at a decent speed so he can stop without sofas in the road. His accident with Roger was just them not seeing each other but not due to speed.

I think Martin drives at the speed limit.
    And I also suspect that Martin Ellingham has a bit of a lead foot. Wouldn't that be an interesting storyline. Louisa running him out to house calls on the moor with JH tagging along in the backseat!

I think DM speeds. Look at how he pulls up at AJ's each time he visits. The dust has to settle before he gets out!
    Those country lanes are narrow and windy but he has the car bouncing along at a fair rate. Not surprised that MC speeds, but with cruise control on all good cars he doesn't have much of an excuse!

Wouldn't be surprised if DM speeds (it certainly looks like it in the show) but wouldn't DM be IRATE if he got caught out! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.onwardvoice.com/millions-in-red-light-camera-fines-could-be-returned/

Lawyers will argue before the Florida Supreme Court early next year whether the cities of Orlando and Aventura had the right to install red-light cameras before they were approved by the Legislature.

The stakes are higher than simply deciding whether their actions were legal. If the court rules against the two cities, it could set the stage for a “claw-back” of millions of dollars in fines paid by motorists caught driving through an intersection after the light turned red.

This wouldn't happen in Australia. Our "rights" are limited I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the cute gray eyed, blue eyed, gray-blue eyed? You guys who are going to PortWenn had better find out just exactly what color Martin Clunes eyes are! And report back to the rest of us! :mad:;):p:D

I'll be happy to find that out for you. But if he's like my mother, with gray/hazel eyes, they reflect the light they're in. On a bright summer day outdoors, her eyes are blue. Shortly afterwards, indoors, they're gray. Then, still indoors, with something like a strong reading light, they're blue again. Sometimes they even look light brown, if she's in a dark room. Very weird.

Btw, tonight I watched Ken Burns' "The Dust Bowl" on PBS and, just in case I wasn't depressed enough, I followed it up by watching "The Family Way." I'm not surprised that there's less discussion of this episode in the rewatch. I had to force myself to watch it. Painful, painful, painful! :( But tomorrow I will post some comments. Right now, I'm just sad for Martin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    http://www.onwardvoice.com/millions-in-red-light-camera-fines-could-be-returned/

Lawyers will argue before the Florida Supreme Court early next year whether the cities of Orlando and Aventura had the right to install red-light cameras before they were approved by the Legislature.

The stakes are higher than simply deciding whether their actions were legal. If the court rules against the two cities, it could set the stage for a “claw-back” of millions of dollars in fines paid by motorists caught driving through an intersection after the light turned red.

This wouldn't happen in Australia. Our "rights" are limited I think.

My dad got a ticket from one of those intersection cameras, and everyone in the family found it hilarious. He'd spent his life preaching at all of us about our driving while he was Mr. Perfect. But there it was; they mailed him the photo right along with the ticket. He was, he said, making a left turn on a yellow, but the photo showed the light was red. Hah! Gotcha, Dad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think DM speeds. Look at how he pulls up at AJ's each time he visits. The dust has to settle before he gets out!
    Those country lanes are narrow and windy but he has the car bouncing along at a fair rate. Not surprised that MC speeds, but with cruise control on all good cars he doesn't have much of an excuse!

Wouldn't be surprised if DM speeds (it certainly looks like it in the show) but wouldn't DM be IRATE if he got caught out! :D:D:D

Cruise control is for wusses! You've got to feel the road and engage the stimuli. My intrepid inner sensualist might say cruise control is only one step away from joining the queue in the slow lane or having someone else drive. The problem with cruise control is the driver as Master of His Fate has a abdicated control. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Btw, tonight I watched Ken Burns' "The Dust Bowl" on PBS and, just in case I wasn't depressed enough, I followed it up by watching "The Family Way." I'm not surprised that there's less discussion of this episode in the rewatch. I had to force myself to watch it. Painful, painful, painful! :( But tomorrow I will post some comments. Right now, I'm just sad for Martin.

I feel so sorry for DM and am prepared to forgive a lot of his personality traits/quirks because of it because of his unforgiveably horrible parents.

Does LG ever find out about how horrible they were or is it not until AR brings the photos in s 5 that she gets some limited info about them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cruise control is for wusses! You've got to feel the road and engage the stimuli. My intrepid inner sensualist might say cruise control is only one step away from joining the queue in the slow lane or having someone else drive. The problem with cruise control is the driver as Master of His Fate has a abdicated control. :)

I know I am getting old because I like my cruise control and I am seriously considering an automatic for my next car for the first time in my life!!:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad got a ticket from one of those intersection cameras, and everyone in the family found it hilarious. He'd spent his life preaching at all of us about our driving while he was Mr. Perfect. But there it was; they mailed him the photo right along with the ticket. He was, he said, making a left turn on a yellow, but the photo showed the light was red. Hah! Gotcha, Dad.

A friend of mines father disputed his speed camera ticket - swearing he was in melb with his car at the time. They sent the photo and not only is the number plate visiblei but so is "Day's Archery" written in 2 foot high lettering on the back window screen. Gotcha!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be happy to find that out for you. But if he's like my mother, with gray/hazel eyes, they reflect the light they're in. On a bright summer day outdoors, her eyes are blue. Shortly afterwards, indoors, they're gray. Then, still indoors, with something like a strong reading light, they're blue again. Sometimes they even look light brown, if she's in a dark room. Very weird.

Agree on all points, Biffpup. I've looked at many pictures of MC with special reference to his eyes and all I can say is that they are light-colored and look grey or hazel depending on the lighting and perhaps what he's wearing. I've never thought they were blue, however.

The Dust Bowl was wrenching, wasn't it. It's hard to believe that the story has never really been told before in this way. It was inspiring too, in a way.

Family Way isn't as painful for me as the non-wedding episode, mainly I guess because I am just so struck by how beautifully it was put together. Another Dominic and Edna Minghella contribution. I look forward to your comments.

Martin's dignified "excuse me" as he left the room after his hateful mother's attack on him was just so perfect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel so sorry for DM and am prepared to forgive a lot of his personality traits/quirks because of it because of his unforgiveably horrible parents.

Does LG ever find out about how horrible they were or is it not until AR brings the photos in s 5 that she gets some limited info about them?

Well, she might have known something was fishy when they weren't invited to the wedding.

But from her reaction to the pictures, it really didn't seem like she had put together in her mind much about his childhood, even though MC was free with references to being locked in the closet and such.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was browsing through Amazon on things offered re: Martin Clunes and came upon Martin Clunes - From Doctor Who to Doc Martin (kindle edition only) written by Judy Breingan. It can be downloaded for $2.99 onto your kindle (do not possess one). Has anyone else been aware of this? Breingan also wrote a kindle version of Kate Middleton - From Commonor to Royalty, so I am guessing her writing is in this vein. It allows you to read the first chapter and it's nothing I have not known. It occurred to me while reading it, though, that MC has put much of his personal life into the character of DM: his bullying at boarding school, his unhappiness there, etc. As each series has been presented, I think it has revealed more and more how parallel and then opposite of MC himself the character of DM is, thus leaving us to figure out the real MC. In S5E8 at the Castle he tells Mrs. T he is a difficult person, I'm taking this statement as another aspect of MC and hope they explore this in S6. Am I getting too, you know what, in my analysis? I really need to get off here and face my Thanksgiving Day preparations!!
This discussion has been closed.