Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    First, there is a studio audience. I think MC plays to it a bit.
    Second, Reggie's suits hang on him quite differently than Doc Martin's do. Someone once said that DM's suits are tailored a size too small, to give him a more "constricted" look, and now I see what they mean.

They do this for most men's suits (as well as other clothing on tv. Game show hosts and news presenters who stand couldn't sit in the suits they wear.

Grey'a Anatomy have the surgical gowns sewn to fit the women for a sexier look.

It's quite subtle I think, generally, so you don't notice except when you compare a guest in regular clothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    In the Hitchcock movie North by Northwest, the girl is in her train compartment and the cops come in looking for her dinner companion (Cary Grant) who is hiding in the berth. The book is HG Wells' "The Invisible Man."

Another director who paid incredible attention to detail! : )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    Me too. I think Joe Penhale is not a successful character because they've made him too buffoonish, and then occasionally do a 180 and have the character become thoughtful and insightful. No reflection on the actor. I just don't think the character is well-formed.

I think about Mark's actions when Peter Cronk is ill. Martin knows he can rely on Mark Mylow in a way that he can never depend on Joe.

Maybe he will be Martin's best man (just kidding).

Do you think JP is one of those characters the writers use to fill the gaps? So when they need to get rid of the debt collector in the cat lady ep they make JP the efficient police officer come to the rescue but when the need a bit of comic relief as in s5e8 they send him to climb up the castle wall.

Maybe since they'd lost Elaine they thought they needed someone quirky for the new character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    I would never deny you PoorRichard :)

But can we agree to share Colin Firth in "Pride and Prejudice" when he dives into the pond by his estate??

And he didn't even have to take his shirt off! Sigh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I loved Reggie Perrin! It was a really fun show to watch. Too bad they only made 2 series.

I totally agree - it was so fun to see MC play another smart, acerbic character. BTW, he said that Reggie Perrin was "sloppy" - so I'm not sure his dress, at least in S1, should be the standard. Like Mona, I also think the Doc's suits fit just fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Finally, mmDerdekea and Biffpup can have Martin's close cropped silver hair. I confess I get a little weak-kneed at the sight of Penhale, especially sans shirt. "In Perish Together as Fools" Penhale strips to the waist so that he can have some blood taken (?!) -- totally gratuitous. (Ta, Ben!) And afterwards THE DOC gets a hug from him, still shirtless (why not me?) Then there's Penhale in the shower and that hot scene with Maggie from S5 -- a "not well-formed" character, indeed, bookfan; I beg to differ! Actually I see what you mean, but please don't kick him off the show just because he's a nit-wit. He fulfills...other important functions!:o

JP has got a great body and in lieu of anything better (referencing the total dearth of action between LG and DM and not even shirt sleeves from DM) I will happily accept gratuitous flashes of it whenever the directors see fit. :D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    NewPark - the suits MC wears in RP look as though they came from JC Penney or the equivalent in UK. The suits in DM look custom made - possibly a Savile Row or better. The navy suits especially appear to be made of expensive fabric, never showing a wrinkle. I have to agree with you, they are tailored to closer to his body. Many years ago in my 20's I took a course in tailoring, and you would be surprised at all the construction beneath a good suit to make it hang right and flatter the wearer.

On another note, whatever happened to AJ's truck? AR doesn't need it as she has a car-- surprised she didn't offer it to Al. We are talking about a vehicle for LG-- I don't know about that truck with a carseat next to her. I personally think she would look adorable in a Volkswagen Beatle, but of course, DM would not hear of it. What about a Volkswagen Passat?

I assumed AJs truck was written off in the accident that caused her death.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I agree, I think it is a Bottega Veneta bag. I think Caroline Catz is often wearing very fine clothing in the show. They don't scream designer, or necessarily read as designer to the audience. They fit her exquistly and the fabrics look great under the camera. That just doesn't happen with inexpensive clothing, even when altered for the actor or actress.

Although, I must say again that I didn't like the way she was dressed for much of series 5. The fabrics were lovely, and the outfits fit the way they were supposed to, but I like her in outfits that flatter her figure better.

Having spent a lifetime in teaching, I have never come across a female Headteacher who dresses like LG...nor a male either !

Much more tailoring, no florals and always, ALWAYS a jacket ( for authority)

But hey - we ARE in PortWenn...
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I assumed AJs truck was written off in the accident that caused her death.

From the way Penhale describes finding AJ, I assumed she had a heart attack which caused her to run off the road into some brush or ditch, no other vehicle involved or a hard stationary object to damage the truck. I pictured that as very little damage to the truck, but on further thinking, probably the audience would have a hard time dealing with that truck being rescued and driven by Al. It would have been a very dark, upsetting scene.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree - it was so fun to see MC play another smart, acerbic character. BTW, he said that Reggie Perrin was "sloppy" - so I'm not sure his dress, at least in S1, should be the standard. Like Mona, I also think the Doc's suits fit just fine.

After this discussion this morning, I went back and watched the 1st part of Episode number one. It has one of my favorite lines when he walks in and his wife has her womens' group sitting in the living room. She tells them that Reggie is pretty good about womens' issues and he says, "As I always say, anyone who can bleed for five days without dying deserves a bunch of flowers every now and again." I LOVED that line! And his delivery is priceless. If anyone wants to get a taste of the show (and hear that line at the end of the clip), here is S1E1 Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJwuDT9JPAE

Oh - and I like his hair better in Series 2 - more of the "Islands of Britain" look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having worked for a large corporation, there is SO much to love in this show. Of course it is very exaggerated, but there is a kernel of truth to most of what is happening to Reggie and the people he works with. As much as I hated playing the games that you must when in that world, you have to play them to a certain extent or you won't last a week.

What was great about Reggie is that he understood that it was all a game and didn't allow it to take his soul. I have known many people over the years who took that corporate crap too seriously. They tended to burn out after awhile - and I think that is really what this show is all about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    S1 Ep.1 'Going Bodmin'......Here's my two cents' worth!

1. My favorite line is when Elaine shows up: 'I'm Elaine'. 'That must be nice for you.' I don't know why but it makes me laugh every time!

2. I thought it was kind of strange that Martin had to stop and ask directions to Joan's farm. I realize it had been a while since he had been there, but I don't know if I'm convinced he wouldn't know the way back.

3. Aunty Joan's clothing: I get the impression she is wearing some of Phil's old clothes when she's working around the farm--the tan cardigan and the olive green vest with pockets are very masculine, aren't they? Since she is so practical, I think it would be a good possibility she kept some of his warm sweaters and things to work in. Waste not, want not.

4. When DM comes back to the flooded surgery, that second when Bert peeks around the corner is hilarious! The expression on his face is so priceless.

I don't have much to contribute that hasn't already been covered; I enjoy reading all of your thoughts and agree with most of them!
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »

On another note, whatever happened to AJ's truck? AR doesn't need it as she has a car-- surprised she didn't offer it to Al. We are talking about a vehicle for LG-- I don't know about that truck with a carseat next to her. I personally think she would look adorable in a Volkswagen Beatle, but of course, DM would not hear of it. What about a Volkswagen Passat?

Reading a couple of posts, it seems folks are beginning to believe DM is too much a control freak (I mean of course he is a control freak in some things!) in buying things, deciding what car LG would or would not get. I doubt really think that is part of his personality and I'm sure it's not part of LG's!

We could say "Well, he'd want the car to be super safe for JH", but then realize DM has driven the baby around holding it on his shoulder, and LG would want the same thing. As long as he can fit comfortably in it, given his size, which I'm sure LG would consider, LG can decide which car she'd want.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S1 Ep.1 'Going Bodmin'......Here's my two cents' worth!

4. When DM comes back to the flooded surgery, that second when Bert peeks around the corner is hilarious! The expression on his face is so priceless.

I don't have much to contribute that hasn't already been covered; I enjoy reading all of your thoughts and agree with most of them!

You know, as a physician, I have to say I was completely disgusted along with DM at the state of the surgery when he arrived. Dr. Simms seems to have been the old time GP, friendly and competent but not very innovative or perhaps up to date on disease presentation (of course, really, only DM would immediately diagnose trimethylaminuria) or treatments (unfortunately dosing antibiotics for viral infections to please patients), and so forth.

I really liked DM redoing the surgery and bringing in new counters, and such. It was another facet showing his commitment to excellent care in a clean and hygienic space.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please, Connie, I know you've been traveling, but I can hardly wait until you upload the second half of "A Mother's Son." We are so lucky to rely on you for so many photos show uploads!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Why are we assuming that S6 will bring a car for Louisa? Even if the spectre of a move to London is taken off the table (presumably the reason she sold her car in the first place) they may still decide to be a single car family. One of the big differences I noticed between living in North America vs. the UK is that in NA everyone having a car of their own is a given. In the UK there are a lot of middle aged people running around with L plates (what, you didn't get your drivers' license at 16? How have you survived all these years?) and others who just live in communities that are human-scaled and walkable (like Portwenn, it would seem). Then there was Orkney where several of the ladies didn't drive cars but went everywhere in their tractor! For the ride out to AR's farm and for shopping trips to Delabole, Wadebridge and Truro there is always Martin's Lexus.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are we assuming that S6 will bring a car for Louisa? Even if the spectre of a move to London is taken off the table (presumably the reason she sold her car in the first place) they may still decide to be a single car family. One of the big differences I noticed between living in North America vs. the UK is that in NA everyone having a car of their own is a given. In the UK there are a lot of middle aged people running around with L plates (what, you didn't get your drivers' license at 16? How have you survived all these years?) and others who just live in communities that are human-scaled and walkable (like Portwenn, it would seem). For the ride out to AR's farm and for shopping trips to Delabole, Wadebridge and Truro there is always Martin's Lexus.

Do you think the Doc will let her drive his car? She might want to get out with the baby. I think she would be happy to take the bus, but he should get her one so she doesn't have to. I doubt he would consult her first, he would buy it and give her the keys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After watching last week, I remarked that I didn't like that they ran a commercial with MC & the insurance dog in the middle of the show.

I just read this online in the middle of a review of the movie:
    Clunes was good but fatally undermined, as can happen with stars on ITV (but particularly Clunes) by also having to appear in the ad breaks talking like a simpleton to the world's most punchable insurance dog.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Do you think the Doc will let her drive his car? She might want to get out with the baby. I think she would be happy to take the bus, but he should get her one so she doesn't have to. I doubt he would consult her first, he would buy it and give her the keys.

I'd love to see her driving the Lexus but I don't see how she can given that DM is liable to get a call for a house visit at any moment of the night or day.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please, Connie, I know you've been traveling, but I can hardly wait until you upload the second half of "A Mother's Son." We are so lucky to rely on you for so many photos show uploads!

We're still traveling - south of Seattle. A couple more hours until we're home! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    We're still traveling - south of Seattle. A couple more hours until we're home! :)

Bless you, Connie. Sounds like we're both working on getting back to Portland - you to home and me for work tomorrow! Thanks to everyone on the forum for not giving away the show's outcome for those of us who must wait to see the second half.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    You know, as a physician, I have to say I was completely disgusted along with DM at the state of the surgery when he arrived. Dr. Simms seems to have been the old time GP, friendly and competent but not very innovative or perhaps up to date on disease presentation (of course, really, only DM would immediately diagnose trimethylaminuria) or treatments (unfortunately dosing antibiotics for viral infections to please patients), and so forth.

I really liked DM redoing the surgery and bringing in new counters, and such. It was another facet showing his commitment to excellent care in a clean and hygienic space.

Are you referring to

The LaTTTE, GreaTTT, Jim, Sim ( both very clipped )

I always loved the way MC delivered that line...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just back from the final day of the London 2012 Paralympics

Fab - fab - FAB

Start saving for Rio 2016 !
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I'd love to see her driving the Lexus but I don't see how she can given that DM is liable to get a call for a house visit at any moment of the night or day.

I was being a little facetious. I don't think the Doc would ever let someone else drive his car. And she probably wouldn't want to after what she did to his Venetian glass tumbler.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bless you, Connie. Sounds like we're both working on getting back to Portland - you to home and me for work tomorrow! Thanks to everyone on the forum for not giving away the show's outcome for those of us who must wait to see the second half.

Here's a link to Ep 2, part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6XjhJRB0us
This discussion has been closed.