Options

Do you like an artist who is usually laughed at or dismissed?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
Forum Member
I'm asking this because last night I listened for the first time to an album by Gilbert O'Sullivan and really liked it... the lyrics were quite sharp and cynical, which was an interesting contrast with the pleasant melody... not a bit what I was expecting after hearing people speak about him in the most dismissive terms, as some sort of TV light entertainment act for mams and dads.

Are there any other 'uncool' artists who you think get an unfair image?

Comments

• Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a soft spot for Duran Duran. I don't like there recent output much though (ironically since they've returned to there classic lineup). Pop Trash was the last album I liked.
    But compared to some of the trash that gets talked about on here, Duran Duran aren't so bad....
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I don't suffer from this lately, although at school I used to get slagged off for being into Bowie and Marc Bolan rather than Bros and New kids on the block lol.

I like a bit of Carpenters, suppose some might consider that a bit uncool!

Meh!
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    You should never be ashamed of your music taste so it doesn't matter what others think of my music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should never be ashamed of your music taste so it doesn't matter what others think of my music.

THIS :) Altho you get those snobs who think they`re too cool to like any other genre apart from what they might be in to sadly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    THIS :) Altho you get those snobs who think they`re too cool to like any other genre apart from what they might be in to sadly

Well I'm baffled, I've only ever heard negative things about Gilbert O'Sullivan, like he's some sort of boring nerd, but now I've heard some of his stuff (before I'd only heard 'Clair' and the Christmas thing he did) I don't understand the negativity at all, I'll be downloading more of his albums.

Perhaps people get a name into their heads without hearing any of the music? :confused:
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Steps and S club 7 and give no f***s :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm baffled, I've only ever heard negative things about Gilbert O'Sullivan, like he's some sort of boring nerd, but now I've heard some of his stuff (before I'd only heard 'Clair' and the Christmas thing he did) I don't understand the negativity at all, I'll be downloading more of his albums.

Perhaps people get a name into their heads without hearing any of the music? :confused:

i suspect that happens a lot
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes definitely i have a huge liking for Mariah Carey who my firends hate but i listen regardless as i in the same breath laugh and make fun of some of their musical choices it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it music is art and art after all is subjective :)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coldplay.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Westlife, so definitely a minority. :)

I can understand and agree with some of the criticism they get (got) for covers etc, and I hugely disagree with some of the decisions they/their management made musically. I do get fed up with the 'They can't sing' comment though, considering the two who were their main singers have incredible voices. Everyone has different tastes, but Shane Filan can definitely sing, and I love his voice.

I tried not liking Westlife when I was about 15. I got fed up with people laughing at me for liking them, so I refused to listen to them for a while, I said I hated them and I wouldn't have anything to do with them. But it just made me sad for a while. Loved them since I was 12 years old and first saved up for their album, saw them every year on tour and had some great memories seeing them with my mum, and now I am a very happy fan. :)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always been looked down upon for liking Britney. Before her breakdown, it was cool to like her a and she was one of the most beloved popstars going. It seems people still remember her breakdown and think she is a "nutter" as they say. It's great coming on here and still seeing she does have fans and not everyone is a snob.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been looked down upon for liking Britney. Before her breakdown, it was cool to like her a and she was one of the most beloved popstars going. It seems people still remember her breakdown and think she is a "nutter" as they say. It's great coming on here and still seeing she does have fans and not everyone is a snob.

disliking britney does not make someone a snob.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Dollar, who were seen as a bit of a joe but when they worked with Trevor Horn made some classic pop records.
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a huge Heavy/Death/Thrash Metal fan, but i cant help but love Wham and George Michael :o
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dollar, who were seen as a bit of a joe but when they worked with Trevor Horn made some classic pop records.

Agreed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »

But disliking someone due to mental health problems is
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But disliking someone due to mental health problems is

Disliking someone due to mental health problems also does not make you a snob.
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Cliff Richard...spend most of my nights out getting loads of stick and laughed at for it but I actually couldn't care less
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess McFly are probably looked down upon by some, and I'm a big fan of theirs.

Also Hanson. People just think of them as the three young kids who sang MmmBop, and don't realise they're now fully grown men, all married with families and making some great music (IMO it's great anyway!)
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRUELY looked down upon singers that I like:
    I really like vintage Britney spears! Her electronic music venture less though...
    I currently like One Direction too.

Those are probably the 2 that music lovers frown upon. The rest is mainstream, but more acceptable to bring up in conversation ;).
    I kind of don't care if that's uncool luckily.
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bon Jovi,Nickelback,Status Quo...I like what i like :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i don`t think they meant that whether you`re personally a fan of her or not, maybe cause she`s a pop act i think with some people it`s very easy for them to be "snobbish" about someone they`re not massively a fan of especially if it`s an act who doesn`t do the genre of music they like :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disliking someone due to mental health problems also does not make you a snob.

I love how you are on here picking fault with my own personal opinion, when you haven't even contributed to what the thread is about. Yawn:rolleyes:
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    I am a huge Heavy/Death/Thrash Metal fan, but i cant help but love Wham and George Michael :o

lots of people laugh at that sort of music too. I myself love Korn but can't help laughing sometimes as some of the songs sound like an angry dog
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nickelback wrote: »
    Status Quo

There's a good example, they get slaughtered, and Trevor Dann held them up to ridicule when he 'banned' them from Radio 1. He said something like 'I want to go down as the man who stopped crap records being played on Radio 1', well what an a*se, it's not up to Trevor Dann to decide what's crap and what isn't... as far as I can make out, he's a bit of a goon himself, his R2 show on BBC lost tapes was boring and a badly wasted opportunity.

I'm not a particular fan of Status Quo but good luck to the people who do like them, and for me 'Marguerita Time' should be a classic party/holiday song but never gets any radio play. :)