Options

Absolutely gutted. How does anyone cope?

PobletPoblet Posts: 10,923
Forum Member
✭✭
I guess I am not asking for specific advice here, more sharing of experiences.

My partner (who I met via the BB forum on here, as it happens in 2007) died the day after my birthday, 22nd March, he was in hospital and we all thought he would get better (He had been in before and came out fine)

He was with me when I had to get in touch with the Police because we (my brothers and I) were unable to contact my mum after 2 days, (and that is rare) she lived on her own and we were in contact daily. (None of us live close by) He was with me when the police came on 23rd Feb and said she had 'passed away' (I now HATE the expression 'We did everything we could - well, yes, that's your job and are you going to say you could have done more??)
I went to her house with my brothers to try and get important things as she was in a council house and they would have chucked stuff. He had to go to hospital again before her funeral, after I gave him the service card etc but he wanted to come out and be with me before he looked at it, he loved her too. (And she loved him)

All things, my birthday, the photo album I made of mum, the copy of the service were all on hold (I couldn't look at them until I could share it with Mike) until he came out.

On the morning after my birthday, 5pm I got the phone call. He never did make it back home.

I guess I am talking through things on here because it helps to write it down, but how does anyone cope with losing my mum, my best friend, and 4 weeks later losing my partner, my soulmate?.
I KNOW time will help, and I KNOW it's a step at a time, but I just feel so empty, lonely and I have a physical pain in my heart.
If you have read thus far, thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have absolutely no advice as I have never experienced anything like you are going through right now. But I couldn't just read and not comment.

So sorry to hear of your losses x
  • Options
    tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    I am so sorry for your losses OP, all so close and so painful. I have no words I'm afraid and even what I have put down is poor but I couldnt read and not put something. xx
  • Options
    Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi poblet,

I'm very sorry for your losses, I wont even pretend to understand what you are going through right now.
    Do you have any other close family/friends you can talk to? Perhaps your siblings? If not I think it would be worth having a quick google for bereavement advice lines/websites because they are trained to know what to say and what advice to give. If their website has a forum you can speak to people in a similar situation to yourself to and that in itself can be a comfort.
    Once again I'm very sorry for whats happened to you, allow yourself the time to grieve.

take care xxx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I cant really give you any advice on this but couldnt read your post and not reply,i am really sorry for your losses and hope that in time you can find it easier to cope with
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really sorry to hear about this. I hope you have good people around you at this, such a difficult time.

I don't know how you cope. I recently lost a good friend of mine, who was like a brother to me, and I don't know whether I'm coping or not. I want to think that I am. I can tell some people are whispering behind my back saying I'm not coping with it when all I'm doing really is choosing not to talk about it so much, openly. It feels, to me, like the right thing to do. Just getting on with things. I've talked to close friends I have online about it and that has been easier. They didn't know him so I guess it's a good way of getting things off your chest without it being too emotional because you're talking to a neutral party. Writing things down definitely helps.

Feel free to write more in this thread if there's anything you want or need to say. There are plenty of nice people here who will be around, and with better advice than I have to give. I wish you all the best, Poblet. :)
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all cope in different ways, you are sharing your thoughts and feelings and that is good and people can relate to how you feel. I got through the death of my lovely dad by holding onto the thought that it would not always feel this painful, how lucky I was to have had him and it was worth every moment of suffering the pain of bereavement to have had him in my life. The dead may leave this world but they are always with us in our hearts and what they brought to our lives never goes.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes there are no words that will help OP and this is one of those occasions. I do believe some people are so important to us that we never properly get over them as such, we have to simply learn to live with the pain. I would be more concerned about you if you had got over it really. It is one of those life changing things that never go away.

Only advice I can offer is find ways to talk about him when you need to and don't take any notice of anyone telling you that you should get over him.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no advice op, i think everyone just muddles through as best they can, i just wanted to give you a verbal hug.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    It comes to all of us at some point.

Somehow you do get through it.

Sincere sympathy to you.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How dreadful for you and all concerned. My sincere condolences to you all. I lost my sister and my dad within five months and it's awful. You don't cope, you just get by somehow and eventually you get used to the idea, which is the best you can hope for.
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So so sorry to hear about your losses. All I can say is you learn to cope because you have to,, life carries on although you may want it to stop. And it is true that things lessen with time, you never forget, but you will lose the rawness. However it's very early days, don't be afraid to talk to people about your Mother and your Partner. I hope you have good friends to support you, and there is always someone here on this forum to listen.(( hug)).
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very sorry for your loss.

My husband and my dad died close together. You never get over it. If you can breath in and breath out that is an acheivement. At the very beginning I just had to sit and concentrate on that. Getting through each minute is all you can cope with at first, then each hour, then each day.

People will want to help but the reality is, at first, there is nothing they can do to make you feel any better.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could pass on words of wisdom only advise is talk to a counseller
    http://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/bereavement.html
    Sending condulences and hug
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a sad story, I'm sorry for your losses.

Keep your chin up, I know it doesn't feel like it but you will feel better as every day goes by.

Always believe!:)
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,110
    Forum Member
    Oh Poblet, my husband died on 12 th April and I have an idea about how you feel. Apparently one day at a time is the best way

thinking of you x
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,110
    Forum Member
    I have been looking up sites eg bereavement uk, and merrywidows, and have found them helpful
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry Poblet. Please take care of yourself x x x
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Poblet I saw your thread and just jumped in to give you a huge hug. I wish I had known your Mikey. He sounds a lovely, fun loving man. He was so lucky to have found you and you him. Take care babes. Love Uffa. xxxx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I'm another that can't even begin to imagine the pain that you must be experiencing at the moment, so first of all lots of hugs to you.

unfortunately, there's no magic cure for the pain you're feeling. the only way to get through that I've found, is by knowing that each day it'll get a little bit less hard. so although you feel so much pain today, tomorrow will be a little less painful, and somewhere down the road you'll be able to smile again.

as others have said, don't bottle things up. is there a bereavement support group near you? or even just coming on here to vent your feelings.

also don't try to force yourself to act normal, if you need to take time off work, make sure you do. bereavement is something everyone has to experience at some point in their lives and the kindness of others never fails to amaze me

xxxx
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't want to just read and run, Poblet, because there's so much pain coming over via your post. :( I just want to wish you all the best, and to confirm that whilst it doesn't feel like it at the moment, it does get easier, bit by bit. Cliched, as you said, and even in the near future as you're starting to heal the odd little thing will trip you up, but it does definitely get easier to bear.

I know you don't know me, but I'm sending you e-hugs anyway. x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all so much for your replies, it means a lot.

As some of you have said, sometimes it helps putting it in writing and getting responses from people you don't know. I can't put my real feelings on Facebook because I have friends and family there, including my niece aged 12 who has lost her Nana and Uncle, so I have to be careful what I put.

Yes, I have family and friends but none of them live near me. Yes, they are a phone call away but often it's in the evening/night when I feel the most lonely and they are all in bed.

I figured it's safe to post here, I have been on DS for some time and, apart from the obvious trolls I know there are many good people on here. You are all examples of that, and I give you hugs and thanks for your comments and advice. xx
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    So sorry to here about your losses. It is hard enough losing anyone but two people you love so much in a short space of time is unimaginable.
    I lost my grandad last month and having family and friends to talk to and share all the good memories was of some help.
    It is nice to see many supportive comments on here and i hope it is of some comfort. I would agree with others it is probably better to talk to someone rather than bottling everything up.
    Sadly there is no much magic wand that can help but i send you lots of virtual hugs and i hope in time things get easier.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best wishes to you Poblet.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Sorry to hear this. For what its worth I'm thinking of you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all, this has been of help to me. I am wondering whether it's worth having a pinned thread about people who are grieving and can help each other? I know there is a pinned DS support thread but I have had so much support on here and feel that I can also support others in my moments, regarding these issues. What do you think?