Is it OK for children to swallow chewing gum?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
Forum Member
I was just at the park with my lil bro who's 9 and I gave him a piece of gum, and I told him repeatedly not to swallow it. 5 mins later (yes literally 5 mins later) I told him to give it to me and I'll put it back in the wrapping and throw it in the bin. You know what happened next.. yep he swallowed it. He said the 1st time he swallowed it, he could feel it still in his throat and it didn't quite go down anyway now he says everything is alright. Will he be OK? he's small build so i'm just a bit worried, this happened about half an hour ago and he seems fine now, just wondering if you think I should phone NHS direct or something. Thanks

Comments

• Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its fine, its just an old wives tale that you shouldn't swallow chewing gum.
  • ginockginock Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its fine, its just an old wives tale that you shouldn't swallow chewing gum.

That and the other one that if you eat the pips from a apple a apple tree grows out of your ears :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;43557042']I was just at the park with my lil bro who's 9 and I gave him a piece of gum, and I told him repeatedly not to swallow it. 5 mins later (yes literally 5 mins later) I told him to give it to me and I'll put it back in the wrapping and throw it in the bin. You know what happened next.. yep he swallowed it. He said the 1st time he swallowed it, he could feel it still in his throat and it didn't quite go down anyway now he says everything is alright. Will he be OK? he's small build so i'm just a bit worried, this happened about half an hour ago and he seems fine now, just wondering if you think I should phone NHS direct or something. Thanks

Do you really think it's safe for you to be left in charge of your brother:rolleyes:
  • madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    ginock wrote: »
    That and the other one that if you eat the pips from a apple a apple tree grows out of your ears :)

LOL. Do people actually believe that?

OP - When I was younger I swallowed chewing gum and I was violently sick. Really bad I was.

I think it was from the chewing gum, but it could have been something else.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chewing gum may entangle around all his vital organs, squeezing them all together and causing untold damage. phone 999 NOW!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They actually grow out of your bum. ;)
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This man didn't hede the advice about swallowing pips, and look at him now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10953011
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's very good for you; but as long as it's non-toxic (which it obviously is if it can be put into the mouth) then it will come out the other end, same as anything.

No different to swallowing a small coin, the stuff drugs are wrapped in then swallowed (minus the drugs :D), swallowing teeth/fillings etc etc etc
  • madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    the chewing gum may entangle around all his vital organs, squeezing them all together and causing untold damage. phone 999 NOW!!!!!!

I actually think this happened to me. I was so sick it was unreal. I was in so much discomfort.
  • Mint_TeaMint_Tea Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Do you really think it's safe for you to be left in charge of your brother:rolleyes:

THIS!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be fine...I grated half an acrylic nails into the pasta today...they lived :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah where would we be on a Friday without the OP's pressing panic du jour?

He'll be fine Hannah, but if I was you I would check every poo he has for the next week to make sure it's gone. Gillian McKeith may help you if you ask her nicely.
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    yes it is i used to do it all the time and i'm fine!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    madlh100 wrote: »
    LOL. Do people actually believe that?

Of course they do, kids that is. Kids will believe anything up to a certain age, tooth fairy, santa claus etc

TBH it's basically all part of growing up to scare the shit out of your kids with things like apples growing inside you if you swallow pips.:D
  • Finlay ReaderFinlay Reader Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you for real. hannah?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Never eaten one so I don't know if it's true or not :p I'm always careful when eating apples (the fruit of course) though.
  • KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum used to tell me if I swallowed gum it'd strangle my heart. Keep a look out for any heart-strangling symptoms.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

...Yes? Why wouldn't he be safe with me?

Thanks people :)
  • Mint_TeaMint_Tea Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Hannah;43592146']...Yes? Why wouldn't he be safe with me?

Thanks people :)

Because of what your opening post implies...amongst other things.
    Forum Member
    Mint_Tea wrote: »
    Because of what your opening post implies...amongst other things.

because I gave him 1 piece of gum? he wasn't running or jumping around when he had it in his mouth he was sat on the bench with me and we were talking.

Ugh I'm sick of people on this forum being so judgemental all the time, it bloody annoys me. :mad:
  • ramblasramblas Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannah;43592436']because I gave him 1 piece of gum? he wasn't running or jumping around when he had it in his mouth he was sat on the bench with me and we were talking.

Ugh I'm sick of people on this forum being so judgemental all the time, it bloody annoys me. :mad:

I think it was more to do with the fact that you had to ask such a question in the first instance. Still, I suppose in the absence of moila.
    Forum Member
    ramblas wrote: »
    I think it was more to do with the fact that you had to ask such a question in the first instance. Still, I suppose in the absence of moila.

I honestly didn't know if he'd be alright or not that's all but I knew it wasn't an emergency. What's moila? I keep seeing that word? :confused:
  • ramblasramblas Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannah;43593723']I honestly didn't know if he'd be alright or not that's all but I knew it wasn't an emergency. What's moila? I keep seeing that word? :confused:

Let's not get silly now.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah;43593723']I honestly didn't know if he'd be alright or not that's all but I knew it wasn't an emergency. What's moila? I keep seeing that word? :confused:

I think some people think you are Moila. You must have seen her numerous posts in here, I can't believe for a second that you haven't, you've been here long enough.

You're a bit like a slightly more sensible version of her.