Cancelling flights with Easyjet?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
Forum Member
✭✭
My friend booked us a holiday for her birthday last night, and this morning I found out I have a job interview on one of the days that we're supposed to be away which I can't cancel or reschedule so am no longer able to go.

Having looked into it I know there's a cancellation fee, but would we get the flights refunded and then have to pay the fee, or is the fee on top of the flights? We booked less than 24 hours ago.
(we're trying to decide whether it would work out as more worth it to cancel, or to pay a fee to change the flights for different dates. This is entirely dependent on whether we get the refund or not!)
Anyone know???

Comments

• hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might be OK with it being just 24 hours a go, but they aren't the easiest company to cancel with.

There was a hen do in Prague I was invited too, and I couldn't go at first due to money but then a girl pulled out and offered me her flight, not wanting a refund for her ticket etc. I looked into changing and it would have meant me paying the difference in the cost of the flight (it had rocketed by this point) and THEN paying £50 each way to change the name so I cancelled my hotel in the end and couldn't go.

Do it quickly and you might be lucky. Good luck!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't you reschedule the interview?
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fee isn't on top of your fare - it's deducted from your refund.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the easyjet website 'all our seats are non-refundable' .

I can't find anything that says you can cancel a flight and get a refund, even with a charge.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    If you asked for the refund within 24 hours of booking, then you'll get your money back, less the refund fee, The refund is just for the cost of the flight, so doesn't include any 'extras' like Speedy Boarding or the card processing fee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    If you asked for the refund within 24 hours of booking, then you'll get your money back, less the refund fee, The refund is just for the cost of the flight, so doesn't include any 'extras' like Speedy Boarding or the card processing fee.
    Where does it say that? From what I can see the only circumstance that they will give a refund is bereavement, even then it's discretionary and not a cash refund but a credit note. And they want to see a death certificate!
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Where does it say that? From what I can see the only circumstance that they will give a refund is bereavement, even then it's discretionary and not a cash refund but a credit note. And they want to see a death certificate!
    The refund policy is laid out in their terms and conditions:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/regulations.html#refunds
    You may cancel your booking within 24 hours of making the original booking. Please note a cancellation can only be processed up to two (2) hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time. You will receive a refund (including APD but excluding any credit card, transfer, speedy boarding, sports equipment, or other administrative fees). A cancellation fee per passenger per journey will be charged in accordance with the table below. Cancellation must be made via our call centre on 0871 244 2366 (calls cost 10p per minute; calls from mobiles and other networks may cost more. For other telephone numbers visit the contact us section). Refunds will be made to the credit or debit card used to make your booking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't argue with that! It's not mentioned in their FAQ section though, it simply says all flights are non-refundable there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I couldn't find that before, brilliant, thank you!
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sleepydove wrote: »
    Why can't you reschedule the interview?

In this climate? I know for a fact if you can't interview on their date then forget it.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    With easyjet you can rebook online - £25 per each way flight (plus any difference in the fare if applicable) - for another date (to the same destination or somewhere else).

So if you fancy going away another time that might be easier (and better value) than a refund. I always assumed their flights were non refundable anyway except for special circumstances (e.g. bereavements).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    In this climate? I know for a fact if you can't interview on their date then forget it.

I've managed to reschedule an interview in the last couple of months... I think it depends on how strong a candidate it is I guess! It's always worth a try I think.
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If any refund is payable, the fee will bed deducted from the refund.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »

Not wanting to be picky, but how can you know for a fact that is correct?
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely a company phones you and says "Can you come in for an interview on this date?" and you can reply "No, but I'm available at this time, is that ok with you?".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Easyjet flights are usually non-refundable. If you choose to cancel and pay the cancellation fee you can claim back the flight taxes from Easyjet. Sometimes the cancellation fees are more than the taxes so it's not always worthwhile, Good luck with the job interview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are not allowed to charge for refunding taxes. RyanUnfair got done for doing just that, sometime ago.