Northern Ireland health minister to be investigated over gay remarks

124»

Comments

• Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Sadly not in enough constituencies they aren't. There are some areas where SDLP have big support but then in a lot of others the Sinners and the DUP dominate the votes

But then quite a swathe of the SDLP (including in my constituency) have are socially conservative Catholics who oppose marriage equality, abortion rights and such so I couldn't vote for them either.

Seriously considering just holding my nose and voting Sinn Fein this time to get the DUP out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Whilst I echo your desire to rid Northern Irish politics of the DUP, I don't think fighting fire with fire is the best way forward. I cannot fathom why any country insists on continually reinstating convicted criminals who refuse to even take their seats in Westminster into power.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    But then quite a swathe of the SDLP (including in my constituency) have are socially conservative Catholics who oppose marriage equality, abortion rights and such so I couldn't vote for them either.

Seriously considering just holding my nose and voting Sinn Fein this time to get the DUP out.

Yeah, it's a brick/hard place situation, I tend to favour Alliance because they at least normally refuse to be drawn into the tit for tat politics the others engage in
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's a brick/hard place situation, I tend to favour Alliance because they at least normally refuse to be drawn into the tit for tat politics the others engage in

I hope Naomi gets reelected sorry can't recall her surname.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm from Northern Ireland and this will be my first time voting in a general election. Thankfully, because I'm at Uni, I can vote in England (Oxford East) rather than back home (Strangford constituency I believe). I'm sick and tired of the petty tribal squabbling and the socially conservative religious bigots who seem to have worked their way into all areas of NI politics.
    Although I know there are a number of people my age (and older) who feel the same way, I can't help but feel there's nothing that can be done about this and NI will remain the "Alabama" of the UK for the foreseeable future and for that reason, I don't feel that there's any point voting in NI.

I'm young, idealistic, possibly naive and untarnished by the cynicism which comes with life experience. There's nothing more I'd like to see than Northern Ireland brought into line with the rest of the UK with Equal Marriage being made legal, changes to abortion rights made and an end to the old sexist, racist, homophobic, Bible-bashing creationist dinosaurs who currently run the place. I hope one day this will happen, but I'm not sure there's the appetite for such change amongst the population.

Attitudes need to change and all I can do is hope that my generation, who lack the anger and bitterness many from my parents' generation have due to living through the Troubles, can begin to bring about this change slowly, yet surely.
    I hope Naomi gets reelected sorry can't recall her surname.

Naomi Long.
    If I remember correctly, the Unionist parties have made a pact to ensure she's pushed out of Belfast East, which is a shame because I quite like her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm from Northern Ireland and this will be my first time voting in a general election. Thankfully, because I'm at Uni, I can vote in England (Oxford East) rather than back home (Strangford constituency I believe). I'm sick and tired of the petty tribal squabbling and the socially conservative religious bigots who seem to have worked their way into all areas of NI politics.
    Although I know there are a number of people my age (and older) who feel the same way, I can't help but feel there's nothing that can be done about this and NI will remain the "Alabama" of the UK for the foreseeable future and for that reason, I don't feel that there's any point voting in NI.

I'm young, idealistic, possibly naive and untarnished by the cynicism which comes with life experience. There's nothing more I'd like to see than Northern Ireland brought into line with the rest of the UK with Equal Marriage being made legal, changes to abortion rights made and an end to the old sexist, racist, homophobic, Bible-bashing creationist dinosaurs who currently run the place. I hope one day this will happen, but I'm not sure there's the appetite for such change amongst the population.

Attitudes need to change and all I can do is hope that my generation, who lack the anger and bitterness many from my parents' generation have due to living through the Troubles, can begin to bring about this change slowly, yet surely.

Naomi Long.
    If I remember correctly, the Unionist parties have made a pact to ensure she's pushed out of Belfast East, which is a shame because I quite like her.

Yes that's who I meant. I'm disappointed to hear that :(Let's hope she defies the odds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Also a big fan of Naomi Long here. Unfortunately, I would disagree and say that there is an appetite for change and - without wanting to generalise - I feel that it is especially within the middle and upper classes. Education really does seem to have an impact on political viewpoints. That said, the generations that are brought up to support either the DUP or Sinn Féin are taught to oppose the "other side" from a young age and it will take a lot of hard work to reverse this backward thinking.

To me, the situation in Northern Ireland is comparable to a toddler throwing a tantrum - the politicians and their sheep-like followers are the toddler, screaming and shouting until they are heard. Those that long for change are the people around the toddler who, whilst hoping that the child will eventually become silent, are effectively powerless and are unable to intervene to control the situation.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope Naomi Long is re-elected, Robinson is a coward because she beat him the last time which is why he made the alliance with UUP for that area, she's by no means down and out, I'd say that area is probably the one with the most uncertain outcome. Interesting that three former Belfast Mayors are running for the East Belfast seat.
    I have always liked Naomi and Anna Lo from Alliance, the latter I believe won't be running for re-election to Stormont next time around which is a shame.

My area (Mid Ulster) is essentially a certain victory for SF, they've held the set since 1997 and tbh it's slim pickings, I don't know whether I'll even bother voting as i've no real faith in any of the candidates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really hope Naomi Long is re-elected, Robinson is a coward because she beat him the last time which is why he made the alliance with UUP for that area, she's by no means down and out, I'd say that area is probably the one with the most uncertain outcome. Interesting that three former Belfast Mayors are running for the East Belfast seat.
    I have always liked Naomi and Anna Lo from Alliance, the latter I believe won't be running for re-election to Stormont next time around which is a shame.

My area (Mid Ulster) is essentially a certain victory for SF, they've held the set since 1997 and tbh it's slim pickings, I don't know whether I'll even bother voting as i've no real faith in any of the candidates.

I really hope your right as I've always found Naomi to be very impressive and moderate in interviews and speeches in parliament.
    I couldn't post my honest opinion on the Robinsons without getting into trouble but hypocrisy is central to my critique.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would seem, whilst out canvassing, this Wells man has had an argument with a lesbian couple whose door he knocked on. He then criticised their lifestyle. Charming man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    It would seem, whilst out canvassing, this Wells man has had an argument with a lesbian couple whose door he knocked on. He then criticised their lifestyle. Charming man.

I hope this is widely reported.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this is widely reported.

Jim Wells Rathfriland incident investigated - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-northern-ireland-32475421
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Jim Wells Rathfriland incident investigated - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-northern-ireland-32475421

Thanks 👍
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northern ireland? The UK's deep south complete with religious shit
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Miliband hasn't a hope of getting a majority and a pact with the SNP would be suicide. David Cameron knows this and will form a coalition with DUP and UKIP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Kidding themselves if they think she will win again, Protestants will be out in huge numbers voting her out and Gavin Robinson. Many still pissed off with her party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Ed Miliband hasn't a hope of getting a majority and a pact with the SNP would be suicide. David Cameron knows this and will form a coalition with DUP and UKIP.

The polls really aren't showing that trend or backing up that simplistic assertion. It's still too close to call.
    The UK public may very well vote for a balanced parliament and we need to learn to accept this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The polls really aren't showing that trend or backing up that simplistic assertion. It's still too close to call.
    The UK public may very well vote for a balanced parliament and we need to learn to accept this.
    Can see it coming a mile off.
  • Options
    Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile, here in the Republic, the marriage equality referendum looks set to pass at the end of May. With broad social consensus on the issue, the No side, as in NI, are concentrating their attacks on gay adoption (which doesn't come under the civil marriage proposal), but despite some lurid posters, the Yes percentage has remained consistent at 75%.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Good riddance to bad rubbish and all that. How can anyone be so backward and bigoted in the 21st century?