Options

Opinion Polls Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Boyard wrote: »
    Christ, I hope people aren't so stupid that they'd just forget the past 5 years and switch their votes because Kate's popped out a sprog! :confused: Seems a dubious theory to me, especially when so little has managed to even shift the polls for such a long time.

None of the legitimate polling organisations is mentioning this as a factor because it basically isn't one and it's going to have zero effect.
    I think Labour have some media ownership plurality legislation that would mean the Murdoch empire would be reduced in size? This is what I suspect he fears.

That's precisely why The Sun has been out to get Miliband with character assassination. It's crude and made him look like a plucky underdog and the strategy should have been more nuanced.

One of Murdoch's other goals is to gain a majority stakeholding in Sky TV (currently at 39%) and preferably control of 100% of all shares and Murdoch knows that he's got zero chance of that if Miliband becomes PM.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Lord Ashcroft seems to have found is that the Conservatives will not lose as many seats based on marginal constituency polling as the national polls imply. They will however not take as many Lib Dem seats as they hope to and neither will Labour. The Lib Dem seats are holding up better than expected.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NEW Survation/MoS (chg vs 21/3): CON 33 (+3) LAB 30 (-4) UKIP 18 (+1) LD 9 (-1) SNP 5 (+1) GRE 4 (+1) OTH 1 (-1)
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    None of the legitimate polling organisations is mentioning this as a factor because it basically isn't one and it's going to have zero effect.

That's precisely why The Sun has been out to get Miliband with character assassination. It's crude and made him look like a plucky underdog and the strategy should have been more nuanced.

One of Murdoch's other goals is to gain a majority stakeholding in Sky TV (currently at 39%) and preferably control of 100% of all shares and Murdoch knows that he's got zero chance of that if Miliband becomes PM.

I wish this was highlighted by more people as it's really a semi affront to a healthy democracy.
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest Survation poll (24 - 25 Apr):
    CON - 33% (-)
    LAB - 30% (+1)
    UKIP - 18% (-)
    LDEM - 9% (-1)
    GRN - 4% (-)
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oathy wrote: »

This is getting ridiculous..
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I think its fair to say these polls will stay like this right up until polling day.

Unless something major occurs that is.

I'm more excited as to the exit poll!
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No change then.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    Which one has the correct change?

The bottom figures show the changes from the last Survation poll conducted two days ago, and the top figures show the changes from the last Survation poll for the Mail on Sunday conducted five weeks ago which are frankly misleading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    The bottom figures show the changes from the last Survation poll, and the top figures show the changes from the last Survation poll for the Mail on Sunday, which are frankly misleading.

Thanks. I realised that and changed my post!
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am increasingly thinking that yougov are the most accurate. The others are all heavily influenced paid by parties who have paid for the poll.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    The bottom figures show the changes from the last Survation poll conducted two days ago, and the top figures show the changes from the last Survation poll for the Mail on Sunday conducted five weeks ago which are frankly misleading.

Depends on whether they're using the same methodology in both sets of polls as to which is the misleading one.

It's all MoE though so nothing to get too worried about.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I am increasingly thinking that yougov are the most accurate. The others are all heavily influenced paid by parties who have paid for the poll.

Averaging the polls gives a good indication, but Yougov and ICM are two good polling firms.

You have to remember that most firms raw data is similar, it is the weighting afterwards that counts.
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many exit polls are there?
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    How many exit polls are there?

There was only one last time, due to cost.

Whether this changes this time is open to debate... you can't really run an exit poll online (well you can but its accuracy would be potentially questionable).

ITV are even less committed to their PSB requirements in 2015 than they were in 2010, so I can't see them running their own this time... maybe Sky will, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just one exit poll, jointly commissioned by BBC/ITV/Sky I believe.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »

Neither - unless I'm missing something. :blush:
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/pivotal-panelbase-poll-pushes-snp-to.html

"Scottish voting intentions for the May 2015 UK general election (Panelbase) :

SNP 48% (+3)
    Labour 27% (-2)
    Conservatives 16% (+2)
    Liberal Democrats 4% (n/c)
    UKIP 3% (-1)
    Greens 2% (n/c)"
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @UKELECTIONS2015: Yougov (UK)

Which of the party leaders do you think is the most
    capable leader?

Cameron 33%
    Sturgeon 17%
    Miliband 15%
    Farage 7%
    Clegg 4%
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    Just one exit poll, jointly commissioned by BBC/ITV/Sky I believe.

I find it amusing that they commission an exit poll, considering it is announced on election night at 10pm, and the result is usually known by the following morning. I mean, why bother....
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    thorr wrote: »
    I find it amusing that they commission an exit poll, considering it is announced on election night at 10pm, and the result is usually known by the following morning. I mean, why bother....
    It gives the pundits something to talk about for3 hours until the results start flooding in
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gives the pundits something to talk about for3 hours until the results start flooding in

I think your right, did they get it drastically wrong in 1992.
  • Options
    MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    I think your right, did they get it drastically wrong in 1992.

Yes miles out but usually its extremely accurate
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    I'd prefer they didn't do an exit poll as it would make things a lot more exciting watching the votes come in one by one - it would be a bit like Eurovision!

The Exit Poll was pretty much spot on in 2010, so it took a lot of drama out of election night.
This discussion has been closed.