Samsung tab 2 or 3

fliqueflique Posts: 1,488
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am not the least bit technically minded but want to get a tablet. I am looking for help in understanding the difference between ice cream sandwich and jelly bean, I have read the two terms in relation to product details but don't really understand what the difference is other that one is an older system and therefore cheaper.

My question really is should I pay the extra £100 for the newer version. I want it to use Google, e-mail, play games and access forums. I probably wouldn't use it for music or films but would like to be able to watch catch up tv. The main games I play are Big fish so are they both suitable for this.

Hope someone can help me have a better idea before I go shopping as I don't want to look completely clueless.

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flique wrote: »
    I am looking for help in understanding the difference between ice cream sandwich and jelly bean, I have read the two terms in relation to product details but don't really understand what the difference is other that one is an older system and therefore cheaper.

Ok so yep, jelly bean is a newer version than ICS (Ice cream sandwich). They don't cost any money though (either to the end user or to manufacturer), so there is no (direct) cost saving to be had going for ICS. However it tends to be found now only on older models, so you might save a few quid.

More generally, ICS was a big change for Android, and you'll find there are plenty of apps that only run on ICS or newer. With Jelly Bean, not so much. It was a more gradual change.

broadly speaking the differences are Jelly Bean is smoother and faster, includes Google Now, allows several user profiles to be setup on one tablet (though I think this doesn't work right now on the Samsung tabs), and has a few nice improvements in the user interface.

If you're just looking at those two models, I wouldn't worry about it - even though the Tab 2 comes with ICS, it is easily upgradeable to Jelly Bean. The difference between Jelly Bean 4.1 and Jelly Bean 4.2.2 is negligible for most people.
  • fliqueflique Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for replying, I shall go looking with a little more confidence now. My husband is buying it for my 60th birthday and is willing to spend the extra for the newer version but if the cheaper one did the same things I would be happy with that.