Comments

• Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    It's in the briefing note.

That'll be conveniently ignored.... [rolly eye time]

It lead to a contender for car crash interview of the week on the Daily Politics, quite a feat considering the number of train wreck interviews Brillo has overseen this week.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's in the briefing note, Take a look at Nick Robinson's comments in the OP.

How come Robinson got to see Labours briefing notes ?

And just to clarify

Did Miliband actually say what the so called briefing notes said he would ?

IE:
    "He will say...tragic scenes this week...are in part a direct result of the failure of post conflict planning for Libya" - by Cameron 2/2
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full test of Ed Milibands speech

http://labourlist.org/2015/04/full-text-of-ed-milibands-foreign-policy-speech-at-chatham-house/

Nowhere in that speech does Ed Miliband blame Cameron for the deaths of any migrants.

Seems to me the foul smell of politics is emanating straight from the Tories, and leaving Labour smelling of roses.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

http://labourlist.org/2015/04/full-text-of-ed-milibands-foreign-policy-speech-at-chatham-house/

Nowhere in that speech does Ed Miliband blame Cameron for the deaths of any migrants.

Seems to me the foul smell of politics is emanating straight from the Tories, and leaving Labour smelling of roses.

Brilliant Post.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant Post.

Indeed.

Here's the relevant test where Milliband explicitly declares acknowledges support for the Libyan conflict:

"In Libya, Labour supported military action to avoid the slaughter the Qaddafi regime threatened in Benghazi.

But since the action, the failure of post conflict planning has become obvious."
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    But since the action, the failure of post conflict planning has become obvious."

I wonder when this became "obvious" for Ed? Yesterday perhaps, with an election campaign on? ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    I wonder when this became "obvious" for Ed? Yesterday perhaps, with an election campaign on? ;-)

All parties bring new things up at election time. What about the Tories' extra NHS funding that materialised out of nowhere (and still hasn't been costed)?
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that while its still their lead story Sky News have changed the tone of the story slighty. Seems they realised themselves they misjudged his comments.
  • Options
    MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Indeed.

Here's the relevant test where Milliband explicitly declares acknowledges support for the Libyan conflict:

"In Libya, Labour supported military action to avoid the slaughter the Qaddafi regime threatened in Benghazi.

The trouble is the only way to help out would be to put troops on the ground....something no Party or country wants to do Including Labour......All I would say is Iraq and if anyone that didn't want an investigation into it, it was Mr Miliband who voted against any Iraq war investigation 4 times during the last Labour Government....People should watch todays Daily Politics Labours Shadow Defence Minister Bernard Coaker is on there ...... another car crash interview according to the Journalist after it......

from 6 mins in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05s80p0/daily-politics-24042015
  • Options
    MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that while its still their lead story Sky News have changed the tone of the story slighty. Seems they realised themselves they misjudged his comments.

I am sure all Labour have done it for is to take the headlines away from the Torys English votes for English Laws......which seems to have worked on most channels and radio stations.......Labour don't want English voters to have the same power as Scottish ones and it is all rather sad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariesam wrote: »
    I am sure all Labour have done it for is to take the headlines away from the Torys English votes for English Laws......which seems to have worked on most channels and radio stations.......Labour don't want English voters to have the same power as Scottish ones and it is all rather sad.

Neither do the Tories, otherwise they'd support a proper federal arrangement with an English parliament rather than the botched compromise that is EVEL.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Much legislation characterised as affecting England only actually doesn't affect England only. There's a lot of misinformation bandied about. The SNP policy has been for YEARS not to vote on English only matters. Check their voting records.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »

It wouldn't have been obvious or hardly mentioned as a story AT ALL if the Tories had not jumped in ahead of the speech being made with their negative spin...and we would have being paying much more attention to their chosen policy area of the day...EVEL.

You might as well say they picked EVEL for today so people wouldn't think Dave had forgotten about us because he spent a few hours in Brussels yeterday ;-)
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tories feeling a bit defensive today?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange then that it was the Tories who were kicking up the fuss and causing that attention to be diverted.

Perhaps there's a flaw in your argument?
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member

I'd be interested to know where/who came up with the 'blood on Cameron's hands' spiel. Was it in Labour's initial pre-speech brief, did some Conservative just decide to spin it that way as an excuse to attack Miliband, or was it just some journalist out to make a headline with some nuisance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know where/who came up with the 'blood on Cameron's hands' spiel. Was it in Labour's initial pre-speech brief, did some Conservative just decide to spin it that way as an excuse to attack Miliband, or was it just some journalist out to make a headline with some nuisance?

I think Nick Robinson said in his tweet that it was the equivalent of saying Camerons got blood on his hands and the others just ran with that interpretation as Gospel.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member
    I think Nick Robinson said in his tweet that it was the equivalent of saying Camerons got blood on his hands and the others just ran with that interpretation as Gospel.

Thanks for that. I'm almost relieved that it actually came from the media rather than the Conservatives; I don't really expect much better from journalists these days, certainly not one who's a former chairman of the Young Conservatives. The beeb and their left-wingism at it again :confused: .
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A journalist was explaining on the radio they are given a briefing the night before of what Miliband will say in his speech with the agreement they will not publish until breakfast time. Miliband and his advisors obviously watered it down after the reaction to his words became clear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather funny how Sky now keep saying 'at no point did Ed Miliband say David Cameron has blood on his hands' despite them reporting that he did say that only 6 hours ago!

Seems like a lot of reporters ran with the story without checking the content of it first. Even if Ed did water down his speech they should have waited until it had been made before coming out with all this because in hindsight now it just looks like a massive over reaction and the Tories have egg on their face.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find myself wondering how his brother would have dealt with this...

Flee to America;-);-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of David M. He posted his vote off today and shared a pic of it on Twitter.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of David M. He posted his vote off today and shared a pic of it on Twitter.

Who did he vote for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Who did he vote for?

Well he hashtagged Labour and Ed4PM.

I'm surprised Ed hasn't had David do a photo op with him. Could be Ed's winning moment. Perhaps it will happen in the final week ;)
  • Options
    RsofaRRsofaR Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Jilly wrote: »
    A journalist was explaining on the radio they are given a briefing the night before of what Miliband will say in his speech with the agreement they will not publish until breakfast time. Miliband and his advisors obviously watered it down after the reaction to his words became clear.

Have you got a copy of the briefing?