Options

The 'we dont like cats' thread

Comments

• Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Eurgh I hate cats! Beastly things that sh1t in my garden and chase my wabbit, can't stand the things!
    Xassy wrote: »
    I'm not a cat person. Everytime I walk to work, I walk past a house and there's this evil cat who stares me out.

Uh oh. I'm already regretting a post I made a few moments ago :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They really arent pleasent creatures. Bucket racking, flea bitten nuisances the lot of them.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    aiki wrote: »
    I have to pedantically point out that hyenas are not dogs. They are members of the family Hyaenidae, which is closer to Viverridae (mongooses, civets etc) than to the dogs. Dogs = Canidae, cats = Felidae.

Have to admit that I didn't know that. Always thought that they were from the canine family, simply due to their appearance. I do understand the idea of convergent evolution, where different species can evolve similar physical traits to go with similar conditions, but didn't realise that this applied to hyenas. Learn something new everyday. Thanks.
    I like cats and dogs but dogs smell way worse!

Don't mind cats, but am a dog person. Have had both, and have to admit that dogs can smell more. Mind you, the dogs I've owned haven't been that smelly. The border collie I currently own seems to fart fresh air. ;)
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I think, in general, dogs do tend to smell worse. Mine got groomed on Monday and he still smells of talc. Sooooooo nice!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kitten doesn't smell, she has never had fleas and although she is a bit of a nuisance (in the nicest possible way of course!!) she is adorable and very much part of the family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kitten doesn't smell, she has never had fleas and although she is a bit of a nuisance (in the nicest possible way of course!!) she is adorable and very much part of the family.

Wait until it grows up. It will turn into such a monster. Get a dog- much better pets.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PingMyPong wrote: »
    Wait until it grows up. It will turn into such a monster. Get a dog- much better pets.

It??? My kitten is a she - a beautiful little girl cat - ahhhh!!! And I've watched her grow up for months now. She still doesn't smell (has always been a monster though - granted ;))

But I'll stop coming on your cat hating thread anymore as its not fair on all the cat haters!! I'm just trying to point out they aren't that bad :o
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I don't hate cats, I'm just not a fan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlmightyGod, just read your post and still giggling.:)

I'm a cat person. I don't hate dogs but I'm not keen on one till I've got to know it.

I don't understand this tendency in some (not all but some) dog people to want to hurt cats, I don't see it reflected back from the cat lover community, even if they actively dislike dogs.

Why is this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Cats are smart.

Dogs suck. They're the imbeciles of the pet world.

Hmmm
    When did you ever hear of a 'guide-cat', or a Police 'sniffer-cat'? :p
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on cats, it's just a thing I have about them.

No offence to all you cat lovers out there :)
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    A_J_Rimmer wrote: »
    Hmmm
    When did you ever hear of a 'guide-cat', or a Police 'sniffer-cat'? :p

Never heard of a dog enslaving its owner, though, so cats must be a bit smart. ;)
  • Options
    pabs1904pabs1904 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I'm not keen on cats, it's just a thing I have about them.

No offence to all you cat lovers out there :)

You and me both Mrs T!
  • Options
    pixiebootspixieboots Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    philkent wrote: »
    AlmightyGod, just read your post and still giggling.:)

I'm a cat person. I don't hate dogs but I'm not keen on one till I've got to know it.

I don't understand this tendency in some (not all but some) dog people to want to hurt cats, I don't see it reflected back from the cat lover community, even if they actively dislike dogs.

Why is this.

There is a theory that dog lovers are egocentric and crave the unconditional love and adoration a dog gives you, the hatred of cats is because cats don't "need" them-don't shoot the messenger doggylovers;) I'm not sure I subscibe to this but I've never got the cat hate. I have converted people to liking cats over they years, they just didn't know any cats "personally"and a lot of it is fear too. Pigeon fanciers hate them too but I understand that totally, not the desire to hurt though. Then again there are some weirdos out there who just hate all animals :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pixieboots wrote: »
    There is a theory that dog lovers are egocentric and crave the unconditional love and adoration a dog gives you, the hatred of cats is because cats don't "need" them-don't shoot the messenger doggylovers;) I'm not sure I subscibe to this but I've never got the cat hate. I have converted people to liking cats over they years, they just didn't know any cats "personally"and a lot of it is fear too. Pigeon fanciers hate them too but I understand that totally, not the desire to hurt though. Then again there are some weirdos out there who just hate all animals :mad:

I like many pets but cats are just evil. As for your theory look at how many folk on DS say they are "slaves to their cats". Im sure Freud would have a field day ;)
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband was a cat hater..he wouldnt hurt one, but he tried to avoid them if he could, he's a real dog person, and just didnt see "the point" in cats

But thats all changed now, since we got Rosie, shes become the apple of his eye..she's proper daddys girl, she races Danny (our dog) to the door every night to great him, and he spends most evenings with Rosie on one knee and Danny on the other..he grooms her, buys her treats, talks to her..he absolutely adores her

It also tiggles me to see him coming up our path of an evening, followed by a hurd of local moggies all wanting a bit of a fuss off of him :D

I love cats, dogs birds, pigs, mice, fish....you name it and I'd have it if we had more space...I think all animals really enhance your life :)
  • Options
    aikiaiki Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I was out with various friends last night, and one of them - a cat hater - gave me a really hard time because I am fostering a rescue cat (a sweet old girl who sadly has an inoperable tumour which will eventually kill her). He ranted away at me but was unable to explain exactly how my having a well-behaved indoor cat was inconveniencing him. I can understand why people get annoyed with some of the things cats do and I'm all for cat-owners taking a LOT more responsibility, but I don't get the hatred for cats per se - they're as beautiful and fascinating as any animal. This guy also hates dogs, mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on cats for two reasons;

They play with and kill birds

and

They won't be friends with my dog when he just wants to wag his tail and say hello. ( He has scars on his nose to prove it :cry:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Never heard of a dog enslaving its owner, though...

You have now....My mother and her Spaniel :D
  • Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pixieboots wrote: »

I don't like cats because I have asthma and I'm allergic to cat hairs. Hence, every time I visit a friend who has a cat, the cat always makes a beeline for me and tries to jump on my lap. failing that, it will walk back and forth in front of my legs, wiping its tail across my trousers. I then sppend the rest of the evening clutching my inhalers and vowing to buy some stronger antihistamines. Not fun.
  • Options
    pixiebootspixieboots Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi george,
    My post was in reply to people who hate cats to the degree that they express desire to hurt them. a cat will look for a quiet comfy lap to sit on, you are probably nervous around cats as you know your allergies will kick in and you will suffer if they get near you. When humans are nervous they very often freeze- the moggy walks in a sees the "stillest" lap in the room- usually the one person that is allergic or phobic and then makes a beeline. Thus some people think "evil bugger does it on purpose".
    Try moving your knees or feet (not hands) around in small but quick random movements next time you're in your friends house, cats don't like sudden fast movements and will probably stay away. Your friend should keep the moggies away from you too, I certainly would if any of my friends had an allergy:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dogs on the whole smell a LOT worse, that's one thing cats do have going for them!

As much as they can annoy me when jumping on furniture and thinking they're entitled to sleep on the bed all the time and crawl all over your lap, I do find it quite amusing when they don't really give a crap what you think. I like how they just bugger off and do their own thing outside all day too.

And yet I can't bring myself to like them...I can tolerate them, but never quite 'like'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like cats. BUT MY DOG DOESNT!! "GRRRRRRR"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Lisa wrote: »
    I cant do with cats, selfish little things they are! Only interested in your when they're hungry and they have NO personality whatsoever, unlike doggies! :D:cool:

Defo wrong. Don't know until you've had a cat like the one we had! It's how you bring them up really.

I have to be honest I love my mum's dog to bits and pieces but she smells even though my mum washes her. She's always trailing my mums slippers which is so lovely but I'd rather a cat any day, they are so independent, but give you so much love too. A dog round my ankles 24/7 would drive me mad, althoiugh I love them to bits!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
    Forum Member
    PingMyPong wrote: »
    I like many pets but cats are just evil. As for your theory look at how many folk on DS say they are "slaves to their cats". Im sure Freud would have a field day ;)
    The only work I do for my cats is put food down to them.
    Very affectionate but very low maintenance.

Dogs on the other hand, you have to feed, wash, groom, walk every day, pick up their sh*t, brush their teeth .etc .etc.

Sounds much more like slavery to me! ;)