Talksport's Alan Brazil is Sacked

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About time Brazil was sacked.

Was fed up with his constant Celtic bias. How anyone could continue supporting the club after suffering abuse as a child at the hands of those connected with the club is beyond me.

Was never particularly impressed with him. Good riddance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I agree whole heartedly, :cry: Bring Back Brazil! :cry:
    For all his failings, gaffs, lack of knowledge, self promotion, off-spring promotion, outlandish Champagne lifestyle, absenteeism and being Ex-Tottenham, he and the 'Tube' Parry were very entertaining and brightened up my boring journey to work. Obviously we don't know the full facts behind his departure and at the end of the day, nobody is indispensable. :confused:

Many of the presenters have their shortcomings, Kinghorn can be an argumentative and confused amature at times, whilst I could listen to H & J all day! (where will they get their clips of the week from now?) I wish that Tony C could pronounce 'Birmingham' properly, Mike Dicken sounds as if he is about to have a heart attack and some of the short term stand-ins are just plain dull.

Come on TalkSport, give the guy another chance, I for one will be switching stations if the breakfast show continues as it is currently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    as much as i liked the show maybe after 4 years it was time for change..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    After 4 years it is time for a change. I can't believe there isn't someone who can be entertaining in the morning, someone new with a fresh angle, fresh ideas and fresh opinions. Brazil was becoming boring and repetitive (as is Parry) and seemed only interested in Celtic and racing. No problem with that except when you are broadcasting to a majority audience who are not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Its all well and good splitting up the best double act on radio .. as long as you have quality coming in to replace and lets face it that is not happening.

For all his failings I thought Brazil was a good presenter and the banter with Parry was the stuff of legends. However, is normally the case with talksport they get rid off their best presenters and replace them with monkeys and pretend the departed never worked there in the first place. Brazil will join greats such as Boyd, Norris and the Creatures of the night in the Talksport grave yard.

The lack of quality coming in as replacements is particularly depressing:

Kinghorn - as someone said he as not served is apprenticeship and is a poor mans Parry.

Cas - can this man actually string a sentence together? When he is trying to read it makes me squirm also immensly anti Spurs (TALKARSENAL?)

Mike Rutherford - Sorry to say but this bloke is a complete Twunt, I challenge anyone to find a part of his show where he is not being xenophobic, talking about asylum or how much money he pays to fill up is car..... YAWN

Dicken - A rich mans Rutherford - at least he only talks about asylum 90% of the Time

Wolf - People say the sports breakfast was getting repetitive but his show is the same every night isn’t it?

Whale - I am a big fan as lets face it his guests are invariably entertaining!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Like the post above said, the guests on James Whale are very interesting but the show this morning just annoyed me. The guests who didn't share his opinion were just cut off or were interrupted and not able to get their point across...

Back to Alan Brazil, I've just found this on the Alan Brazil racing site and thought some of you may be interested. I've edited out a middle bit which just talked about racing but if you want to read the lot, go to his website and look under 'Brazil's blast'. The spelling mistakes are not mine!
    Hi All,

I am overwhelmed by the hundreds, literally hundres of email that I have recieved that regarding my sacking from talkSPORT - I will certainly miss talkSPOT - it has been a big part of my life for the last four years - I missed a day at work after 3 busy days at Cheltenham I basically slept in - it was no more than that! I was very disappointed to read some of the stories in the papers about it as well - there were mentiones of the money I was earning which could only have come from one source - either Mr McKenzie or some-one close to him has done that - I have not said a word to the Press myself - only a few months ago I was thanked by the boss at talkSPORT for saving the station and offered a new contract ! And now I get sacked for this - I cannot say a lot more as I am seeking legal advice about the whole thing. I already have been offered 2 other jobs in radio and one in television - the tv one is abroad so I won't be taking that but I am going to take a few weeks off before deciding where I go next in the media business.

I will try to let you know a bit more regularly via our Free Newsletter - even if you are not a big racing fan then sign up for it and we can keep in touch !

once again thanks again for your great support - I really appreciate it. I just can't wait to get stuck into my Racing Club now as it is a big part of my life - as is the radio work I love doing and I will defintely be back soon! I will let you all know about my plans when decided.

Thanks again to everyone who has given me support over the past few days via phone or email - I never realised how much the radio show meant to people ! I'll be back !

All the best,

Alan
  • LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B.Croft...Beecroft...is a nice guy. Calm under pressure and totally non-cronfrontational and non-controversial. He'd make a lovely Samaritan. But as foil to Parry, sorry, he's not the right man.

So if Parry has to stay put (and I guess he won't sack himself) who can link up with him to give him a good old verbal kick in the googlies? Geoff Boycott would have been good. He'd have wiped the floor with him intellectually. But Geoff is no longer in the TS Towers, so that is probably a no-no. So if no Geoff, then who? Personally, I'd go for Rodney Marsh. He has humour and would wind Parry up a real treat. But would he really want to get up at three in the morning each show day? As a last resort, from the existing presenting stock, I'd have Mr Durham to link up with the Duke of Pork, but would Porky allow it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Hey, perfect solution.

Get Chris Evans in as Porky's tormentor !! He's done early morning radio ain't he ?? pretty funny guy !!

see link

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=119050
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I'm really disappointed AB has gone - ok we had champagne lifestle rammed down our throats but who cared?

I've listened to TS and TR before it since day 1 and I think standards are at their lowest. Something has got to be done and done quick.

Beaky seems a decent chap but him and Porky have no pazazz whatsoever - the saviour here could be Adrian Durham, but then who does the evenings?

Kelvin get it sorted and quick before me and thousands of others drift away (it will happen !)
    Forum Member
    Parry is without doubt the worst broadcaster anywhere on UK radio. He is so ignorant of many facts but this does not stop him spouting off.

One thing I cannot stand about the station is the constant digging at BBC, what are the so worried about? This is the radio station that was commentating in the last world cup form tv screen with the crowd noises coming form the techs and tea lad in the studio, what a bunch of cheapskates.

Even the usually acceptable Hawksby and Jacobs got involved with there brow-nosing of their commentary team in the West Indies. At least Jacobs had the decency to sound embarressed when he was saying it. Missed Boykes though?

I'd be interetsed to hear other opinions as I know of no other person who listens to Talksport.
  • PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree with most of what you say, Noza.

The only slight disagreement I would have is what is to be done with the Breakfast Show.

It is dead and gone now. Parry has to go because the only reason he was any good was because of the chemistry between him and Brazil. Anthat, IMO, was more down to Brazil than him.

They will have to revamp the morning slot, I feel, and go for an altogehter different format.

But I won't be listening anymore.

Like others here I am totally fed up with the consatnt lambasting of the BBC....the monotonous rants about asylum seekers.....them constantly telling us how brilliant their cricket coverage is (I mean, it is good, but they have no one of the calibre of Blowers, Boyks, Aggers or CMJ out there ).

Gary Newbon is the worst football phone in host since Bob the Cat replaced Danny Baker on 6.06.

Kinghorn defies description re his naffness. And what they have done to Durham and his excellent evening programmes is criminal.

But I am going to make a prediction.

They will bring in new blood for the morning programme.

Two men who will help TalkSport plumb depths previously unimagined by the listeners.

Wrighty and Brighty will be poached from the BBC.

And then heaven help us all.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knocking the Beeb has long been an obsession of Talk Sport. The sickening gloating and mocking of the BBC over their (Talk Sport's) WI ball-by-ball acquisition took gross hypocrisy on to a new level. The sledging even included Parry and Brazil taking the mickey out of Geoff Boycott, suggesting he'd have to climb up a tree in order to get to see the Test matches for the BBC, as Talk Sport would make sure Auntie's men were locked out of the grounds. When he worked for them, obsequious Parry regularly billed Geoff as the greatest commentator on cricket in the world, but after he left TS, suddenly Tony Greig was the greatest commentator on cricket in the world and Geoff Boycott was 'up a tree'. Good job Richie Benaud is unlikely to join TS!!

In the dim and distant past, I seem to recall Talk Sport sanctioning their commentators to sit in hotel bedrooms in front of the telly to provide unofficial and unauthorised coverage of major footballing events the BBC had the rights for. They even used phoney crowd noise, didn't they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They certainly did, Luca.

You know, I am glad they sacked Alan Brazil. It has given me the impetus to break the TalkSport habit.

I am even listening to music radio again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you.

For some inexplicable reason, I got hooked on a radio station that now almost exclusively bases its output on catering for the lowest common denominator, both morally and politically. Irate with Porky's manic utterings, I re-tuned to Five Live the other day and I remembered what good speech radio really is. In the afternoon, driven mad by Cashorn and Kingcarino, I tuned to Radio Two and found music and Johnnie Walker once again. The Talk Radio/Sport drug is finally wearing off at last!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tuned in for a bit this morning around 9.45 a.m. and Paul Breen Turner was doing the "Porky's Topic" slot with Beekie.
    Forum Member
    I believe that Breem Turner is going to do some shows with Parrry next week.

This Kelvin turd is killing off the best station out there. Bring back the biscuit barrel :mad:

Geoff Boycott is the best cricket commentator around and it was sad when he had to leave TS due to ilhealth. Tony Greig is very good though.

As for knocking the BBC well I say good on them. The BBC is run by a bunch of tossers who would fall flat on their faces if they had to operate in the commercial market like all the other stations. Why after all this time we are the only country in the world where you can still go to prison for watching the TV. I say make the barstuards work for the money to run their poxy company and then we would see how good they are.

My perfect daytime line up for TS would be ;)

Brazil and Parry
    Alan Beswick from BBC GMR Makes Dickin look like a limp dick.
    Rodney Marsh plus guest. Different one each week.
    Hawksby and Jacobs back where they belong

What do you think?

I too will leave TS after friday if the Biscuit barrel is not back
    Forum Member
    Looks a good line up, Karlos. ;)

Beswick a good presenter, I'm not too keen on Dickin either

Not heard Rodney Marsh on the radio.

I've listened to Talksport's breakfast show all week, will I listen to it next week ? I don't know, what's the alternative ?

5Live ? Wogan ? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Talksport is at a crisis point. I have listened for 3 years now and seen a constant deterioation in the output, especially in the last 12 months. When I started to listen the day was "bookended" by 2 good drive time shows. B&P in the morning and H&J in the evening.

B&P were good then, this was before they started to: 1) take themselves too seriously and believe they were the next Morecambe & Wise and 2) Brazil had developed this unhealthy obsession with racing which has taken over the show. Parry seems to believe his amatuer ramblings are entertaining when in fact they have become to epitomise the shambolic, end of pier type stuff that Talksport outputs everyday. Where he leads others follow.

H&J being moved to the graveyard slot was a big mistake. I Emailed Parry about this as the time and his reponse was that the drive time slot needed a fast moving sports show that could respond to breaking news stories. H&J's formulaic (Birthday Spread/Sport or Nought/Fred or the like apparently being too rigid. H&J's afternoon show was then totally broken up and spoilt by having to listen to a commentary of a £1,000 novice hurdle in Ludlow every 30 minutes (really to plug At The Races and Blue Square).

So I'm glad that Brazil has gone becasue it will mean changes that if handled properly could rescue the station. If I were in charge it would be:

H&J for the breakfast show with Beaky as a permanent guest. But please drop Sport or Nought, it's the only bad thing on the show. Clips of the Week will inevitably dry up though with the B/P break-up.

Durham and someone like Townsend/Martin or Houghton for the 4-7 slot. More serious and grown up football/cricket/rugby chat (no bloody racing!).

Immediate departures must include: -
    Kinghorn (please today if possible)
    Cascarino
    Parry

I lie Talksport as a concept, it's good to have some commercial competiton to the excellent 5Live to which I listen to most of the time now. But 5Live has proper professionals like Campbell, Garvey and Peter Allen who are easy to listen to, don't annoy you and have a bit of edge when required.

Talksport needs to grow up and respect it's listeners a bit more. We are not all white van men, who don't tax their vehicles, who drive too fast, need a loan, are prone to making bogus compensation claims and drink a lot of tinned beer.

Long live Talksport. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    H&J were at their greatest when they did night time shows when they were actually allowed to take calls from listeners.
    Their current show is still the best on the radio, but would be miles better if they were allowed to have more interaction.
    Don't think this would work as a morning show though.

Sorry to see Brazil go as he was so funny with Parry - they are by no means experts intheir fields, but their incompetence and ability to laugh at each other and themselves made the morning car journeys all worth while
    Forum Member
    I must admit I am gutted Alan has gone and I look forward to hearing him soon on another station. Parry is a worm and possibly the worst presenter without Alan.

I am confused as TS call themselves the leading independant radio station with 8 million listeners which I never really believed but according to this article the official figure is 1.9M although talksport argue it is 6.9M ???????

Talksport starts £66m court fight

Kelvin MacKenzie says Talksport is missing out on advertising revenue
    Radio boss Kelvin MacKenzie has launched a £66m legal action against the company which measures ratings, claiming they are "fatally flawed".
    Former Sun editor Mr MacKenzie, who now runs Talksport radio, not using an electronic measuring system costs it £1.5m a month in lost revenue.

Talksport believes Radio Joint Audience Research (Rajar) underestimates the number of its listeners.

But Rajar has dismissed Talksport's claims as "ludicrous".

Its says the system - which depends on listeners filling out a diary - robs it of 4.7 million listeners each week.

Mr MacKenzie's company, The Wireless Group, has carried out its own survey of listeners using electronic measuring equipment, which puts its weekly ratings at 6.9 million - against 1.9 million through Rajar's system.

'Fraudulent'

He says Rajar's figures damage his business because advertisers spend their money on stations which have higher ratings.

Mr MacKenzie said: "Incredibly, I have spent more than three years of my life trying to persuade the radio industry that the diary, pencil and short-term memory should be replaced by a technology that measures radio audiences more accurately.

"My opponents have tried desperately to kick the issue into the long grass because they are making a helluva lot of money out of this fraudulent system."

The Wireless Group also indicated it may also take legal action against Rajar's shareholders - the BBC and the Commercial Radio Companies Association.

Commercial rivalry

Rajar trialled two electronic methods of recording ratings in 2002 and 2003 but subsequently decided against adopting them.

The Wireless Group believes the trial was not conducted properly and did not involve the public.

Rajar's figures for Talksport, using listener diaries, place Talksport behind Classic FM and Virgin.

But the system employed by The Wireless Group, where volunteers wear a wristwatch that detects radio sounds, make it the most listened-to commercial station.

Rajar managing director Sally de la Bedoyere said: "Rajar would contest the proceedings vigorously and refuted claims made in the The Wireless Group's press release.

"Leading counsel advise that it is highly likely that the claim will be struck out before it comes to trial.

"It is not surprising that the ludicrous claims relating to financial losses are for the purposes of a sensational press release, and are not detailed in the proceedings".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Delighted Brazil is gone.
    2. Get sick of the anti-BBC comments (Im no BBC fan), but TS really harp on! The 'unofficial World Cup commentaries' were a joke
    3. TS lost it for me when they moved H&J to the 1pm slot....hvent listened (cant listen) since.
    4. Mike Dickin:the guy makes me uncomfortable (Asylum FM could be an obviuos move for him)

Its 5Live for me: 24/7, professional broadcasters. If I want tabloid trash journalism/opinions rammed down me, Ill by the red-tops'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5Live isn't all professionalism and competent broadcasting.

That quiz programme on a Saturady morning is impossible to listen to.

And from this week they are bringing Wrighty and Brighty back....quite possibly the worst radio programme ever devised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    right on.the BBC rarely mention talksport yet talksport slag off the beeb at every oppurtunity.GET OVER IT!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've listened to Paul and Andy since they started on TS and I have to admit they are getting stale as old bed socks in their current and severely restricted format. And.. they have probably never got over losing that pet whipping boy they had who used to read the travel news.

I agree with the person who commented they were best in their old evening stylee. Indeed they were back then. They used to take calls and speak to people like Paul in Brighton (their very own Rory Bremner) and generally interact a lot more with the listeners through e-mail and fax etc. Nowadays, it's a bit of banter with the racing bloke, the quiz games, and playing that damn Fred Trueman tape over and over and over again.

There must be a danger of laughing at your own material so loudly that you block out the silence from the rest of us. H&J appear to be having a great time in amusing themselves, but some of the gags are wearing a bit thin now.

Paul and Andy could do with a move to better timeslot and then be allowed to actually talk seriously about sport at times whilst still retaining the satire angle which they have always excelled at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just listened to a bit of Whale, in for Dickin.

I had hopde Whale might bring something a bit different to the slot but instead it is the same old, same old.

He is on an anti Muslim, anti immigrant rant.......with all the usual neanderthals calling in to add their two pennies worth of "wisdom" and "enlightenment" to the "debate".

Very, very sad.