What happened to the Doctor's granddaughter Susan and why doesn't he mention family?

13»

Comments

• Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does go through a lot of losess. He lost his family,race and planet in the timewar.
    Went through it again in TEOT to stop the timelords coming back. Believe the woman was his mother and the man his brother. Why else would they defie the other timelords ?.
    Sad thing is every relationship he has allways ends the same. People he love leave eitehr to do otehr things or they die. He has lost his second family reacently the ponds all 3 of them. Hope that means Clara when she has had enough says thanks hugs him and goes off. She has allready died enough times for him. Should return to her charges or fall in love with someone who can make her happy.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    I don't remember that but if true Susan acted like a young girl so presumably was very young in terms of growing up rather than actual age, but then again we don't know about Gallifreyan ageing either so Time Lords and Gallifreyans may be similar in that as well. If the Shabogans have what we think of as 'normal' lifespans (or longer than us but not as long as Time Lords) the problem the Doctor has of people he's fond of, in this case in the non-Time Lord classes, dying off would be replicated..

We also don't know if the Time Lords married Gallifreyans or each other, especially as they had Family Houses. We just don't know enough about how their society worked! And I'm going nowhere near the looms...:eek::)

Combined with the fact that there was no Galifrey or regeneration when Susan's was being written and that most of these things were created in retrospect its always going to cause brain confusion. :D
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I thought it said someone in series 1 that she was much older than she looked in fact The Docotr said she was older than Ian and Barbara combined

I've been watching Series 1 from the start recently. I've seen all the episodes except Dalek Invasion Earth which is where Susan leaves and the only reference to her age so far was in the Sensorites where I think the Doctor refers to her as being 15.

I always figured that time lords mature at the same pace as humans and once they are mature they then slow down.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    the difficult part is whether we accept all the non TV stories as canon or not...

I don't read the novels but the audios have always tried to fit in with the continuity of the TV show. Fitting in missing adventures and companions between the points in the Doctor's TV story where it is possible to fit extra adventures.

Even the Gallifrey series, although it didn't feature the Time War, did feature a catastrophe on Gallifrey which could potentially have preceded it and recent series have had Romana, K9 and Leela transported to a succession of alternate realities so they are basically safe from any issues Gallifrey may end up having allowing the series to neatly sidestep whatever the TV series may decide to reveal about Gallifrey's fate.

Currently, I don't think anything in the audios contradicts the TV series continuity but if the TV series ever acknowledged events from the audios it would definitely make my day. I've listened to every one since they started making them.
  • Matt_1979Matt_1979 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    the difficult part is whether we accept all the non TV stories as canon or not...

I know what you mean. I would have expected it to have been established by now whether the non TV stories are canon.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    That he Had a Brother (Smith and Jones) but clarified this wasn't the Master (Sound of Drums IIRC).

Actually, he was quite careful with his wording in "Sound of Drums," so that he didn't actually confirm or deny anything. It went something along the lines of;

MARTHA: I thought you were going to say he was your secret brother.

DOCTOR: You've been watching too much TV.

It was very clearly worded as an in-joke to fans who knew the planned back story, but was careful to not actually answer the question. RTD didn't want to ruin all the fan speculation!
    When her husband, David Campbell, reaches 60 he'll look 60, but when Susan reaches 60 she'll look 25. How do they both cope with that?

Either he'd be a very happy old man, or dead from a heart attack far too soon. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    Either he'd be a very happy old man, or dead from a heart attack far too soon. :D

Yes probably dead... but what a way to go.,. lol...