OpenOffice

HI All,

I am currently studying with the OU and use a word processing package called 'Openoffice' for all my assignments. I had to submit a piece of work recently and was awaiting my result. Emailed my tutor yesterday, and tutor has replied, saying that she could not open my document to read it... Yet I had sent a dummy assignment to her last month using the above and she was able to open and read it and make comments then.... She has asked me to resend it using docx... How do I do that???

Any help will be gratefully received.

Comments

• SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    When you save the document, is one of the options on the type dropdown not .docx (or possibly Microsoft Word 2007/2010).
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    When you save the document, is one of the options on the type dropdown not .docx (or possibly Microsoft Word 2007/2010).

i would have thought that word 2003 would be the one to go for. if it is compatibility we're aiming for.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    i would have thought that word 2003 would be the one to go for. if it is compatibility we're aiming for.
    Possibly, I was just going off what Libre Office says.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also study with the OU and although I don't use Open Office it is the software the the OU supports so I am not sure why the tutor can't open it. Docx is the extension that is used in Word 2007 onwards so I assume that the tutor uses Word.

Trying re-saving the document (using "save as"). In the "save as type" box you should get a drop down list. On Open Office it defaults to "ODF text document". On my computer it doesn't give the option to choose a .docx extension but a .doc one should be OK. Try using the one that says "Microsoft Word 6.0 (.doc)" or any which has .doc at the end The tutor should be able to open any .doc document if she is using Word 2007 or above.

If there is still a problem you could ask if she is prepared to accept a PDF.
  • Zodiac1Zodiac1 Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice. Am going to try later.Would have thought that the tutor would have been able to open it in Openoffice, as the tutor was able to receive open and comment on a document I had sent previously, using the same format and word processing package:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope you manage to sort it out. If not, let me know on here. Worst case scenario, I could PM you my E-Mail address and you could E-Mail it to me. I have Open Office on my computer so I could see if I am able to open it and if so, cut and paste it into Word and save it as a .docx document and E-Mail it back to you.
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done quite a few OU courses and all of the assessment guides said the file must have .doc extension. This is for general compatibility reasons as not all tutors have the latest versions of Word.

If you are in Openoffice go to 'save as' and look in the drop down for the file type. Look for Word 97-2003 Document type. I would be very surprised if it's not there. Save it and send to your tutor. If .docx is there, even better, but remember to use .doc for your next course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done quite a few OU courses and all of the assessment guides said the file must have .doc extension. This is for general compatibility reasons as not all tutors have the latest versions of Word.

If you are in Openoffice go to 'save as' and look in the drop down for the file type. Look for Word 97-2003 Document type. I would be very surprised if it's not there. Save it and send to your tutor. If .docx is there, even better, but remember to use .doc for your next course.

This has changed in the last year. They now accept docx.
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulou wrote: »
    This has changed in the last year. They now accept docx.

Not according to my level 3 which started in October. My guide says

"Your TMA must be submitted in a format that is readable by Microsoft Word, that is, it must have a .doc or a .rtf extension"

Copied straight out of the website!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not according to my level 3 which started in October. My guide says

"Your TMA must be submitted in a format that is readable by Microsoft Word, that is, it must have a .doc or a .rtf extension"

Copied straight out of the website!

How strange. Perhaps they haven't updated individual course guides and websites. It's on page 39 of the assessment handbook. It changed on the 1st Nov 2012. It probably doesn't matter for many people but if you are doing maths or sciences it can make a difference when using equation editors and things.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »

It's the format I always use as I know people will have no problems opening the files.
    Forum Member
    Once again, thanks for all the advice. Have now discovered that I can send it in rtf format and have tried this. If it doesn't work, going to have to buy ms word:( Once again, thanks for all the advice. You guys are ace:D
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zodiac1 wrote: »
    If it doesn't work, going to have to buy ms word
    If it gets to that stage, you might want to try the free Microsoft Office Web Apps first.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_Web_Apps
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    If it gets to that stage, you might want to try the free Microsoft Office Web Apps first.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_Web_Apps
    Cool..... Didn't know that I could do that.... Thanks for the tip:)
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I have tried Open Office before, but my documents I ended up emailing were not compatible and could not be read for some reason.

I have recently tried Kingsoft instead and this seems to work. It is free to use by the way.:)
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just save as a 'doc file and you'll have no problems, rtf is not the best idea to be honest.