Confused about failed 02 Direct Debit Payment

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Today 02 tried to take the money from my account but I didn't have enough in so ended up with a Returned Direct Debit on my bank statement. Basically it shows on my statement £11.84 "out" and then £11.84 "in".

There was no money taken out or put in and this came up as a Returned Direct Debit like I said. The bank will charge me for this, damn it.:(

Anyway, later on I put some money in my account and attempted to pay the bill in full online.

This is what it says about making a payment into your account -

"Please use this facility to make payments to your account using a debit or credit card.

You can use it to pay this bill in full, to cover any failed Direct Debit or Continuous Credit Card payments or to clear any arrears on your account."

But it also says this - :confused:

"This payment may not cancel any existing Direct Debit or Continuous Credit Card arrangement and may therefore result in additional payment being applied to your account."

I donlt quite understand the last quoted bit and now I think that my bill hasn't been paid because it show's that I have 11.84 credit in my 02 Payment History, and that they received the Direct Debit payment, even though they didn't. :confused:

Hi,

Today 02 tried to take the money from my account but I didn't have enough in so ended up with a Returned Direct Debit on my bank statement. Basically it shows on my statement £11.84 "out" and then £11.84 "in".

There was no money taken out or put in and this came up as a Returned Direct Debit like I said. The bank will charge me for this, damn it.:(

Anyway, later on I put some money in my account and attempted to pay the bill in full online.

This is what it says about making a payment into your account -

"Please use this facility to make payments to your account using a debit or credit card.

You can use it to pay this bill in full, to cover any failed Direct Debit or Continuous Credit Card payments or to clear any arrears on your account."

But it also says this - :confused:

"This payment may not cancel any existing Direct Debit or Continuous Credit Card arrangement and may therefore result in additional payment being applied to your account."

I don't quite understand the last quoted bit and now I think that my bill hasn't been paid because it show's that I have 11.84 credit in my 02 Payment History, and that they received the Direct Debit payment, even though they didn't. :confused:

Here's a pic of Payment History.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/v58w43.jpg

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It means that O2 will probably apply for the money from your account again in a few days despite the fact that you have made a card payment. You could pay by card and cancel your direct debit and then set it up again for next month or you can wait until O2 try and take the money again. However there is a possibility that if you wait for O2 to apply for the money again that you might have your service suspended. Probably best for you to call O2 and find out if they plan to cut you off before they apply for the DD again.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If an account is in credit it means they have taken more money from you than you owe them. If you owe them money the account would be in debit.

What seems to have happened is O2 received your card payment then the Direct Debit kicked in again and took another £11 out of your account. So in effect you paid £22 but only owed them £11 so you could say the £11 credit on your account is the "change" they owe you.

But for peace of mind it might be best to talk to O2 to find out the exact situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply's guys.

Everything is sorted now. :)