Hayley flying

124»

Comments

• Options
    Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    E05297535 wrote: »
    Beths flying was forgettable. ..dont even remember the music accompanying it. .....Hayley was simply the best.......hence many are talling about it!!!!:D:D

IMO all of the flying routines were pretty forgettable this year (I hate flying anyway, but over the years the only routines I remember are Suzanne's and Ray's original routines).

The only moments I remember from last week are the bit in Beth's where she was holding onto the back of Lukaz's neck and they sped across the rink (that was a WOW moment as I'd never seen it done before), and a bit from Sam's where he did a pretty complicated lift with Vicky when flying.

I remember the music from Ray's...but that's it. Don't remember music from any routines, and nothing else stood out.

Flying is a waste of time - should have been props weeks ON ICE!!!

The only reason I've been talking about Hayley's routine is that I couldn't believe she got 40 for it. Personally I thought it was boring, but nothing much interests me in the flying.
  • Options
    JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO all of the flying routines were pretty forgettable this year (I hate flying anyway, but over the years the only routines I remember are Suzanne's and Ray's original routines).

The only moments I remember from last week are the bit in Beth's where she was holding onto the back of Lukaz's neck and they sped across the rink (that was a WOW moment as I'd never seen it done before), and a bit from Sam's where he did a pretty complicated lift with Vicky when flying.

I remember the music from Ray's...but that's it. Don't remember music from any routines, and nothing else stood out.

Flying is a waste of time - should have been props weeks ON ICE!!!

The only reason I've been talking about Hayley's routine is that I couldn't believe she got 40 for it. Personally I thought it was boring, but nothing much interests me in the flying.

I remember a movement from Hayley's original aerial ballet routine in 2010, called the Tandem Skydive. I still have that clip and watch it again sometimes. This year she did another movement swooping really close to the floor. I always think that whoever is operating the equipment must be very skilled and deserves some of the credit.

And I couldn't understand why Beth won in the first place - maybe the fact that she won a bronze medal in the Olympic Games had something to do with it.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    JohnCurry wrote: »

And I couldn't understand why Beth won in the first place - maybe the fact that she won a bronze medal in the Olympic Games had something to do with it.

Combination of a few things all coming together perhaps ?
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Anya D wrote: »
    I think they got too lost in the music.
    Hayley was fortunate to be accompanied by a very haunting song, which added to the performance so much more than Arthur's Theme for example.
    Hayley always seems to get the music that will evoke a good reaction
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    gemsmummy wrote: »
    Think the song clinched it for them. I honestly believe that any of the others could have performed to that piece of music and would have got the same result.
    I agree
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, ha. She (Hayley) can only beat him on the flying.:D She will never beat him with actual ice-skating that's for sure.

She won't need to if the public like her best. After all, that's how Beth won in her year.

I have just noticed that my clip of Hayley's flying on YouTube has had 1586 hits. It looks as if once again the doomsayers are going to look foolish when the overall winner is announced. It reminds me of when all those who predicted disaster for Denise Van Outen in SCD ended up with egg on their faces.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    She won't need to if the public like her best. After all, that's how Beth won in her year.

I have just noticed that my clip of Hayley's flying on YouTube has had 1586 hits. It looks as if once again the doomsayers are going to look foolish when the overall winner is announced. It reminds me of when all those who predicted disaster for Denise Van Outen in SCD ended up with egg on their faces.

Even if the gbp vote her the best it doesn't mean that she is. Most of the public know little about ice-dancing so they really are not good judges. Hayley will know that Ray and Beth are better than her even if she does win.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if the gbp vote her the best it doesn't mean that she is. Most of the public know little about ice-dancing so they really are not good judges. Hayley will know that Ray and Beth are better than her even if she does win.

Exactly, so it will be a hollow victory. The weakest skater wins :confused:

A disappointing end to DOI.
  • Options
    2la2la Posts: 4,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a good routine and she seemed to effortlessly fly through all the positions. However, Beth was much better as Chris rightly pointed out. The men were awful though, especially Ray.
  • Options
    humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2la wrote: »
    I thought it was a good routine and she seemed to effortlessly fly through all the positions. However, Beth was much better as Chris rightly pointed out. The men were awful though, especially Ray.

Hayleys flying routine was the best imo....but 1) the females were definitely at an advantage with it at and 2) It had very little to do with dancing on ice.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did they?

IIRC Louis Smith won..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That remark sounds like what we used to call "sour grapes".
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Did they?

IIRC Louis Smith won..

Indeed, Louis won - against 2 or three better dancers.

For being male - which favours Ray. With 2 female challengers in the last 3 - which fits Ray

For having the journey story - which favours Beth who has actually traveled much further. The SCD judges backed the story at the last minute and overspun it - the DOI judges are ignoring Beth's story.

For having opposition which was too experienced, or not that popular - which doesn't seem to be running as a factor against Ray or Hayley.

For being a gymnast , and being able to add gymnastic wow factor. This would work better for Beth as the skating allows more wow factor than dancing set steps should, and her ice dancing is better than Louis' Latin or Ballroom. The olympic effect has worn off, but Beth has gained fans since because of DOI. DOI hasn't really thought of how to use her talents though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, the gbp vote for who they like best, which is not quite the same thing. And if she does win, I can't see her losing any sleep worrying about not being the best skater - in fact she will probably laugh at that remark.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    I won't mind a bit if Hayley wins.

Speaking as a 'non-skater', I enjoy watching her and Ray skate the most.

I think DS will implode if that happens :D
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the weakest skater to win a skating competition would make a mockery of it - what a way for the final show to end :kitty:
  • Options
    coral_janecoral_jane Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    For the weakest skater to win a skating competition would make a mockery of it - what a way for the final show to end :kitty:

Let's hope the viewing public have more sense in the end. Consistency should also be taken into account as well as improvement and we all know which celebrity would take that accolade!
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    Who? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »

That's just the point - it isn't just a skating competition but partly a popularity contest, else how would Beth have won?
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's just the point - it isn't just a skating competition but partly a popularity contest, else how would Beth have won?

I suppose the people's main problem is that it's an "all-stars" series. Therefore, the idea that it could be won by someone who really isn't a great exponent of the main premise of the show (skating - although I await those who tell me vociferously that it's actually "dancing on ice" and somehow has nothing to do with skating) rankles with a fair few viewers.

Let's face it, while people may have (possibly reluctantly) accepted the victories of Darren Gough and Chris Hollins in their respective Strictly series, would anyone (and I mean anyone, apart from a few die-hard fans of said celebs) really want them to win an all-stars series of SCD? Well I feel the same about Hayley and Dancing On Ice.
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    yeah the routine was hardly WOO HOO