A positive point for Eastenders.

Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,568
Forum Member
With all of the 'every day' type of storylines, Eastenders has been getting a lot of criticism from those who think it's too boring. One thing I will say for it though is that at least it has storylines that provoke discussion. We have Lee's depression, Bex and Shakil with the pressures of having sex/sending nudes and the decision of whether Phil should get a new liver (although most of us who hate him think no :D) and what Denise should do about her baby.

With Corrie and Emmerdale on the other hand, there isn't really much to discuss apart from when we're frustrated about plot holes and the shortcomings of the shows. At least Eastenders is encouraging us to look further than face value at the storylines to engage the viewers more, and I think that should be praised. :)

Comments

• KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree Mel. EE is provoking some genuinely stimulating discussion about a huge range of topics.

Corrie storylines, on the other hand, provide no challenge to viewers whatsoever. The show is just a constant regurgitation of the same tired old crap.
  • al_capoal_capo Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be praising them too much for how realistic it has been as this could be happening...
    Archie coming back from the dead
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,826
    Forum Member
    There's also Jays drug plot, Ronnie and Roxys departure, Janes recovery, Max's revenge, Lauren and Stevens relationship and Dot losing her eyesight and her loneliness.

Quite a lot more going on than just bins and darts which some people like to suggest on here.

There are some characters crying out for meaty storylines though such as Martin, Stacey and Shirley. Hopefully that will be rectified in 2013.
    Forum Member
    al_capo wrote: »
    I wouldn't be praising them too much for how realistic it has been as this could be happening...

From what I gather Larry Lamb just said he wanted to go back? Doesn't mean they have plans.

I find it very unlikely that SOC would go down this route.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    From what I gather Larry Lamb just said he wanted to go back? Doesn't mean they have plans.

I find it very unlikely that SOC would go down this route.

The article I read said that the producer is seriously considering it. I really wouldnt put it past them
    Forum Member
    Absolutely agree Mel. EE is provoking some genuinely stimulating discussion about a huge range of topics.

Corrie storylines, on the other hand, provide no challenge to viewers whatsoever. The show is just a constant regurgitation of the same tired old crap.

I think I saw a post of yours the other day where you said Corrie lacks storylines that have lasting impact. EE has been guilty of that, we'd get hints of secrets that a slug could decipher. They'd be dragged out for months before bring revealed and then they'd suddenly be forgotten about. It was ludicrous.
  • KatEndersKatEnders Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also Jays drug plot, Ronnie and Roxys departure, Janes recovery, Max's revenge, Lauren and Stevens relationship and Dot losing her eyesight and her loneliness.

Quite a lot more going on than just bins and darts which some people like to suggest on here.

There are some characters crying out for meaty storylines though such as Martin, Stacey and Shirley. Hopefully that will be rectified in 2013.

2013 is happening again? Oh god no. Think you mean 2017 :D
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I saw a post of yours the other day where you said Corrie lacks storylines that have lasting impact. EE has been guilty of that, we'd get hints of secrets that a slug could decipher. They'd be dragged out for months before bring revealed and then they'd suddenly be forgotten about. It was ludicrous.

That's the only opinion I post these days Scrabbs :p:p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article I read said that the producer is seriously considering it. I really wouldnt put it past them

In 2019 it could make a good Christmas storyline. Stacey coming to terms with it being 10 years and she has visions of Archie. But i think the character is a classic and if he returned it could turn him into a ruined character.
    Forum Member

Don't believe everything you read :D
    Forum Member
    Adam_ wrote: »
    2013 is happening again? Oh god no. Think you mean 2017 :D

You mean this is not 2012? :o
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member

Corrie has been really disappointing in recent years. I think the last time (if I remember rightly) that they had an engaging storyline that the viewers debated was Hayley's right to die storyline. They've had instances where it could have been engaging for discussion since then (like Izzy taking cannabis for chronic pain) but they failed to deliver the storyline in any way that would make us care in one way or another.

Thank you for listing more examples Scrabbler. :) The ones I mentioned were just off the top of my head. I feel like there's a lot more brewing in terms of the drama, we know that R&R's exits are bound to be a talking point, with them being major characters. Also, as last night proved, SOC is capable of surprising us and putting a twist out there in the midst of the normality, but it's not overdone or sensationalist. I like that EE are making sure to get their basics right first before going for the big impact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean this is not 2012? :o

Of course not! If it was we'd be watching affairs and Derek Branning >:(
    Forum Member
    Mel94 wrote: »
    Corrie has been really disappointing in recent years. I think the last time (if I remember rightly) that they had an engaging storyline that the viewers debated was Hayley's right to die storyline. They've had instances where it could have been engaging for discussion since then (like Izzy taking cannabis for chronic pain) but they failed to deliver the storyline in any way that would make us care in one way or another.

Thank you for listing more examples Scrabbler. :) The ones I mentioned were just off the top of my head. I feel like there's a lot more brewing in terms of the drama, we know that R&R's exits are bound to be a talking point, with them being major characters. Also, as last night proved, SOC is capable of surprising us and putting a twist out there in the midst of the normality, but it's not overdone or sensationalist. I like that EE are making sure to get their basics right first before going for the big impact.

Me too, from what I gather there's going to be a lot of "day to day" plots over the Christmas period as well as a few surprises.

I've gone from hating a lot of characters to liking them again. In fact I can honestly say apart from one person, I pretty much like all of the characters.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If he is whilst killing off two popular characters rather than just rest them then he needs his head testing. Den (originally) and Kathy were easy as it was all off screen and ambiguous , we saw Archie die so I hope this is just tabloid nonsense as usual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, from what I gather there's going to be a lot of "day to day" plots over the Christmas period as well as a few surprises.

I've gone from hating a lot of characters to liking them again. In fact I can honestly say apart from one person, I pretty much like all of the characters.

Let me guess you hate that witch who goes by the name of Geraldine? >:(
    Forum Member
    Let me guess you hate that witch who goes by the name of Geraldine? >:(

Nope I quite liked her :D

I think the show needs characters like this, someone you like to hate. I don't find her as annoying as Elaine. But I'm not sure I'd envisage a place for her on a long term basis. I would have actually preferred if Tessa Peake Jones had joined. She's someone who I think is destined for EastEnders at some point.

It's Jack the Plank I cannot stand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't believe everything you read :D

I always say it but soap news is usually the only thing that the papers get right. They broke the news about James dying in ED months before the build up to the SL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the show needs characters like this, someone you like to hate. I don't find her as annoying as Elaine. But I'm not sure I'd envisage a place for her on a long term basis. I would have actually preferred if Tessa Peake Jones had joined. She's someone who I think is destined for EastEnders at some point.

I quite like Jack in this stint. Although i hate the hatred border bullying that he has to Roxy.
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member

I absolutely hate Jack! The way he flew off the handle at Whitney: "Hey, do you have my ja- WATCH THE PAINT WORK!" Good grief man, it was one little pin hole. :o:D Plus he way he's steamrolling Ronnie into bending to his way by convincing her to move away with him, sell her house and her business and telling her that she has to handle the ramifications with Roxy because "she's the diplomatic one" aka he can't be bothered.
  • Foxster HotpotFoxster Hotpot Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the everyday, relatable and sometimes mundane scenes make you care for and empathise with the characters much more and so when something dramatic happens to them, it has more impact.
    Forum Member
    I find the everyday, relatable and sometimes mundane scenes make you care for and empathise with the characters much more and so when something dramatic happens to them, it has more impact.

Exactly. They really needed to draw the characters back and make them likeable again,

Nice to see you btw :)
    Forum Member
    Mel94 wrote: »
    I absolutely hate Jack! The way he flew off the handle at Whitney: "Hey, do you have my ja- WATCH THE PAINT WORK!" Good grief man, it was one little pin hole. :o:D Plus he way he's steamrolling Ronnie into bending to his way by convincing her to move away with him, sell her house and her business and telling her that she has to handle the ramifications with Roxy because "she's the diplomatic one" aka he can't be bothered.

He still has property and family in Walford, but it's like he is trying to sever all links Ronnie has with the place. It's bewildering.
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member

Any source or.is this the usual.lazy journalism from papers.we see every time an ex EastEnder who was killed off says they would.like to return (I'm guessing he suggested the desire to.return during his Celeb Ju gle stint)/) we have had similar 'rumours' recently about Fat Boy, Pat and Peggy God Forbid
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders was great Friday