A positive point for Eastenders.

2»

Comments

• attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking through an interview from the Telegraph in 2014 that interviewed SOC and how he brought in more listeners for The Archers and found this interesting bit.
    But he argues his tenure so far is all about remaining true to the traditions of the show – not least by refusing to play the publicity game of leaking details of its cliffhangers.

“I still remember when I was at school and reading Agatha Christie’s The Murder of Roger Ackroyd,” he recalls of his days at a Christian Brothers’ grammar school in Birkenhead. “It’s a game-changing book, but another boy told me the ending before I’d finished it. I still can’t forgive him. So I won’t be doing the same to the Archers audience. They don’t really want to know. They want it to be surprising when they’re listening. It should be like real life.”

Granted, it is The Archers, which is a different beast to EastEnders, however I do think that he has applied the same formula to EE and that's why we had the huge shock of the Vic robbery last Friday. It was very unexpected and it is great that SOC realises that the audience likes to be shocked, not be told everything or have storyline endings so clearly signposted that the audience can guess what is going to happen. It is nice to not know how a storyline will end or know the ins and outs, the spoilers have been scaled back massively and this is such a refreshing change imo.

Christmas looks decent and there are some excellent writers scripting the episodes, greats such as Daran Little, Gillian Richmond, Lauren Klee, Leo Richardson and Matt Evans and it was promised in the original article about Ronnie and Roxy's exit that there will be some 'Classic EastEnders' moments coming up. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen however I have faith in SOC that the Christmas/New Year period will be good.
  • Damien_JohnsonDamien_Johnson Posts: 2,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately some people obsess about being told what is going to happen and what the 'vision' of the show is.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    Looking through an interview from the Telegraph in 2014 that interviewed SOC and how he brought in more listeners for The Archers and found this interesting bit.

Granted, it is The Archers, which is a different beast to EastEnders, however I do think that he has applied the same formula to EE and that's why we had the huge shock of the Vic robbery last Friday. It was very unexpected and it is great that SOC realises that the audience likes to be shocked, not be told everything or have storyline endings so clearly signposted that the audience can guess what is going to happen. It is nice to not know how a storyline will end or know the ins and outs, the spoilers have been scaled back massively and this is such a refreshing change imo.

Christmas looks decent and there are some excellent writers scripting the episodes, greats such as Daran Little, Gillian Richmond, Lauren Klee, Leo Richardson and Matt Evans and it was promised in the original article about Ronnie and Roxy's exit that there will be some 'Classic EastEnders' moments coming up. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen however I have faith in SOC that the Christmas/New Year period will be good.

Sharon Marshall said on this morning that this is the way it's going to be with stuff being held back and kept secret.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Larry Lamb has been in the jungle so unlikely to have filmed any scenes.

I hope there is a twist to this silly swimming pool storyline. Maybe Jack finds too blow up dummys dressed as R&R in the pool and doesn't realise the difference.
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like it but agree it could be a bit boring if some storylines do not pep up a bit. There are also storylines that I really don't get at the moment but maybe all will be revealed soon. For instance the whole child stabbing incident of a character that was never shown or mentioned before. What is the relevance? and the rubbish collection that has been alluded to for weeks. If it is just to reflect real life issues then it is totally boring but if it has a connection to a future story I wish they would get on with it because when seemingly pointless things drag on you just lose interest