Belle and Boston

SarahBearSarahBear Posts: 35
Forum Member
Forgive me if this has already been addressed, or if I have it completely wrong, but does Belle have a criminal record following the death of her friend? If she does, would she be able to get into America?

Comments

• sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, she has a criminal record and that would prevent her from getting a visa to enter the USA
  • SarahBearSarahBear Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Yes, she has a criminal record and that would prevent her from getting a visa to enter the USA
    Thank you, I thought that was the case
  • FookschplatFookschplat Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SarahBear wrote: »
    Thank you, I thought that was the case

They writers definitely made a mistake with this, unless they address it and that is why she ends up not going (which I assume will be the case)... yeah a girl with a record for killing someone and mental health issues, and a disgraced doctor would not be getting into America... now if they had chosen a location within the EU, there would be an issue :)
  • Hanna_YasminHanna_Yasmin Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, well spotted!
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,127
    Forum Member
    Would the fact that doctor Bailey and Belle had a relationship bar him too from getting a visa also?
    All in all this job thing has happened with great speed.
  • Lisa_CharleneLisa_Charlene Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised Dr Bailey would get in after being struck off as a Dr for having an affair with a patient
  • EadfrithEadfrith Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    Boston, Lincolnshire then ......
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They writers definitely made a mistake with this, unless they address it and that is why she ends up not going (which I assume will be the case)... yeah a girl with a record for killing someone and mental health issues, and a disgraced doctor would not be getting into America... now if they had chosen a location within the EU, there would be an issue :)

If they don't have her not going because she literally can't then it'll be a joke.
    If only the Dingle's knew that they didn't have to go to all that trouble tonight eh? She can't go you wallies and it surprises me that not one of them (even Bailey himself) realises that. I'm sure quite a few viewers cotton on, as I did because my son had to go through checks last year get to visit his future-in-laws and he hasn't even had a parking ticket never mind anything else!

As to Bailey's job, well, it would take a damned sight longer than this to get his green card for a start, IF he got one as I can't imagine that the USA is short of pharmaceutical salesmen! (or whatever it is). Just because the company want him (what a joke) doesn't mean that he'd be let in either.

Why didn't they choose a EU country FGS? The Dingles would have had the same reaction if she said she was going to Leeds so it's not like they weren't going to kick off lol!
    Eadfrith wrote: »
    Boston, Lincolnshire then ......

:D Yup, that'll be as good as it gets.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've long thought the writers don't actually watch the show, this blooper rather confirms that :confused:
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What on earth would the hapless pair have to offer the US anyway, regardless of their combined recods?
    A silly man who gave up a beautiful wife, home and career to become a glass collector and live in a hovel, and a miserable young lass who tried to sell granny's sugar-water. Or whatever it was.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is annoynig that the production team on Emmerdale do not research these storylines. Belle would not get in to America because 1) she has a criminal record 2) she has mental health issues 3) she has no job to go to and 4) she is under 18 and would need parental permission. And, with her health problems, it is unlikely she would get an airline ticket. Germaine would get a visa, as a struck-off doctor, and the firm he is supposed to be going to work for in America certainly would not pay for Belle's air fare and accommodation etc. A wasted storyline that somebody should have to answer for.
  • 80sQueen80sQueen Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is annoynig that the production team on Emmerdale do not research these storylines. Belle would not get in to America because 1) she has a criminal record 2) she has mental health issues 3) she has no job to go to and 4) she is under 18 and would need parental permission. And, with her health problems, it is unlikely she would get an airline ticket. Germaine would get a visa, as a struck-off doctor, and the firm he is supposed to be going to work for in America certainly would not pay for Belle's air fare and accommodation etc. A wasted storyline that somebody should have to answer for.

So I guess we're stuck with them, which is a shame because I find the pair of them completely irritating. Totally unsuited, Belle's incessant whining* makes my teeth itch & as for Germaine, I can't even muster up an opinion as he is so meh

*good actress playing Belle, I just don't care enough about the character to root for her
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sQueen wrote: »
    So I guess we're stuck with them, which is a shame because I find the pair of them completely irritating. Totally unsuited, Belle's incessant whining* makes my teeth itch & as for Germaine, I can't even muster up an opinion as he is so meh

*good actress playing Belle, I just don't care enough about the character to root for her
    I think...
    Jermaine leaves in tonight's episode. Hooray. Let's hope Belle quickly moves on and we can all forget this dreadful storyline ever happened.
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    Doc Bailey is probably telling a Little White Lie and planning on moving to Boston, Lincolnsire and hoping Belle is too dumb to notice
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's what I thought as soon as it was suggested! And of course the Dingles being a big fat bunch of inbred morons not even one of them realised this would be the case!!! There's no way she'd be allowed in so the whole issue of her considering going to the US was a moot point anyway!
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    That's what I thought as soon as it was suggested! And of course the Dingles being a big fat bunch of inbred morons not even one of them realised this would be the case!!! There's no way she'd be allowed in so the whole issue of her considering going to the US was a moot point anyway!

It also hasn't occurred to her exDoctor boyfriend, who's presumably an moron with a medical degree:D. Are the Dingles inbred? There's only one case of distant cousins having a child. Whatever they are, most of them are not morons. A quick look at the US immigration website would reveal that she MAY be refused a visa on the grounds of her conviction and mental health. However this would have to be assessed ( including statements from her doctors as to the likelihood of her needing hospitalisation). On the whole, though, it's not occurring to anyone not because the characters are stupid but because the writers don't t want it to begin the way of the plot.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH I put the likelihood of a struck off doc getting g work as a medical rep, and a mentally unwell girl with a criminal record getting a visa in the same drawer as I do ALL of the ' moving to start a new life' stories - the one marked ' suspend disbelief' - you know, where it's possible to move instantly, ' start on Monday' without the month long delay while they check for a criminal record and UK citizenship, not have to give notice to employers or landlords and always to be able to find your passport and get plane tickets at the drop of a hat. This America story is just a version of that. Why they didn't get him a job in Aberdeen, like they did with Pete is anyone's guess. That seemed to be considered as equally far away :D