Microsoft unveils Windows 10 operating system

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The tech preview will be available from 5pm UK time tonight (9 A.M PT /12 PM ET)

Edit: Available now

Specs for the preview:
    Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB)
    Free hard disk space: 16 GB
    Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
    A Microsoft account and Internet access
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what to make of it apart from that this is less of a new OS announcement and more of a big "we don' know what the hell we're doing!" announcement.

It seems like a mish-mash of Windows 7/8 interface and yet again, another misguided and uneducated attempt an unifying the desktop system with the mobile platforms that nobody outside of "yeehaw and American product" land really wants to buy.

And dear God....it'll mean shelling out ANOTHER grand for the compatible version of Visual Studio. Is suppose I can make it a tax write off though...
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Windows ME and Vista had such a short lifespan because they were piles of dung, not because they were consumer OSes. ME wasn't even a Windows version, it was just a collection of bugs that should never have been released. The only good thing that came outta that version was System Restore - if your computer would boot up, that is :DVista was crap as well. It's always been banned in my house and that won't change. Windows 98 was consumer as well but 98SE was usable up until 2004/2005.

My old 2003 XP desktop originally had Windows NT4 installed! It was a business machine and dad had to help me install XP on it (I was 13 at the time but I knew what I was doing. He'd give me the instructions and I'd follow them). Windows XP lasted so well partly because it was both business and consumer oriented and Vista sucked. If Windows Longhorn had been released in 2005/2006 then maybe XP would have died out in 2010 after Windows 7 came out. I can see W7 sticking around til 2020 unless everyone goes mad for Windows 10.

Haha :D:D:D

I always thought the 8/8.1 thing was a throwback to the Windows 3.0/3.1/3.11 era. Apple's version numbering wouldn't really work for Windows. They're two completely different OSes :p

To be fair to Vista, it became quite a functional and useful operating system after the addition of the service packs but it was too late by then because the reputational damage had already been done so along came Windows 7 (aka Vista SP3). It's a pity that Microsoft didn't learn from that experience so we've had the Win 8/8.1 omnishambles followed by Win 10 scenario - an avoidable groundhog day situation!
    lettice wrote: »
    The tech preview will be available from 5pm UK time tonight (9 A.M PT /12 PM ET)

Edit: Available now

Specs for the preview:
    Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB)
    Free hard disk space: 16 GB
    Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
    A Microsoft account and Internet access

Over the next few days and weeks, I'm going to taking an interest in all the articles about the new Win 10 to see, in particular, whether it's a worthy successor to Win 7.
  • TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....A Microsoft account .........

This is what puts a lot of consumers off Win 8 & 8.1 too. Many folk don't know about the local account option.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found an old VMware image to sacrifice as it wanted to upgrade an existing Windows install.

The boot screen is currently pure Windows 8.1 so not much change there yet.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still creating the recovery drive, I know I am soft :D
    Forum Member
    UK 64 bit iso Installs nicely in vmware.
    Windows 8 install, but quick to install.
    Firstly, no more modernmix and a start menu thats really nice to use :)
    Need to get onedrive in file manager, its not by default. Not sure I will use the app.

Firefox and Chrome installed fine, don't use IE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you need to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO or is just copying the files and running setup.exe enough?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK 64 bit iso Installs nicely in vmware.
    Windows 8 install, but quick to install.
    Firstly, no more modernmix and a start menu thats really nice to use :)
    Need to get onedrive in file manager, its not by default. Not sure I will use the app.

My first reaction was Windows 8.1 with a weird start menu and ModernMix.

If it's going to until mid 2015 then a lot of new stuff is missing because Stardock did this ages ago.
    Forum Member
    My first reaction was Windows 8.1 with a weird start menu and ModernMix.

If it's going to until mid 2015 then a lot of new stuff is missing because Stardock did this ages ago.

No charms bar or crazy corners, just mouse and keyboard a joy.
    The snap is really easy with a mouse.

First bug, search does nothing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Version is 6.4 so hopefully no serious software installer issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I am back, that was pretty seamless. It has an old retro Start screen, too :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No charms bar or crazy corners, just mouse and keyboard a joy.
    The snap is really easy with a mouse.

First bug, search does nothing...

Search works for me. I installed 64bit US ISO.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a user of Windows 7, this 10 looks really good!

Regards to the start menu size? Bet it will be customisable like a lot of things.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Version is 6.4 so hopefully no serious software installer issues.

Is that internal number confirmed?
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Search works for me. I installed 64bit US ISO.

Yes working now, must have been an early glitch.
    Hope we will be able to change the search engine from Bing to other.
    Never use the search on W8, just ghastly, but this makes it useable and useful.
    I will feedback I want my search to be Google :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Is that internal number confirmed?

That is what the command line reports
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark RSS Reader app is freezing so there are some compatibility issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's one important update already.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    There's one important update already.

Hardly surprising when its a alpha version of the alpha version designed more to get details of what people think of it so they can alter it to make people happy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Hardly surprising when its a alpha version of the alpha version designed more to get details of what people think of it so they can alter it to make people happy

I haven't done much with it yet, but it's surprisingly stable, no troubles in paradise yet.
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    As pointed out elsewhere, Windows 9.x sounds a bit like Windows 95/98 so could cause confusion.
    You're almost spot on according to this: https://twitter.com/isaach/status/517371671510937600/photo/1
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only had it installed for a few mins, liked win 8.1, but liking this even more, not as busy as win 8.1
    had to fill in a few more security stuff, eg send security code to a mobile number, but not great hassle.
    Loving how since using win 8.0 and registering with microsoft, it just loaded all my stuff from that onto my freshly formatted HD with win10 on it.
    Like how you can move the task bar to a vertical position on the left, just like my linux setup :D
    now wheres the dam multiple desktop setting, i like it even if some dont ;-)
    Appreciate its not released until next year, so has great potential :cool:
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    cmq2 wrote: »
    You're almost spot on according to this: https://twitter.com/isaach/status/517371671510937600/photo/1

That does make sense and I don't know why they didn't say that at the outset. Mind you, just how much 9x software and how many Win 9x systems are still in operation?
    Forum Member
    Something underlying has changed as I can run an old program that always refused to run in any mode under W8.
    Been using a VM running Vista for it, nice.