Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 9)

Comments

• Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Couldn't agree more, Sunny.

Wonder how many of the anti Ross posters can't get enough of the numerous crimes committed by, for example, various Dingles, eh.;-)

Exactly Houndy!

The likes of Charity and Debbie who have been around for 10+ years just continue to be ignored cos everyone is just used to them and their dodgy dealings ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because Ross has attacked somebody doesn't mean he's a paedophile.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Sunny B wrote: »
    All the Hot Ross Buns hate is getting way out of hand! I mean kiddy fiddler - really? This isn't Jimmy Saville we're talking about! :o

Add me to the Ross Defence Corps.

I absolutely love Ross's scenes with April. He could never look after her, I know that, he's too wild, but he does care about her, and he did love Donna. I think his attempts to keep contact with Donna through April are heartbreaking.
  • spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the Hot Ross Buns hate is getting way out of hand! I mean kiddy fiddler - really? This isn't Jimmy Saville we're talking about! :o

The stuff about April was wrong but everything else said about him is totally justified.
    He is a vile, nasty cowardly little bully. I hope he picks on someone his own age and gets his head kicked in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more, Sunny.

Wonder how many of the anti Ross posters can't get enough of the numerous crimes committed by, for example, various Dingles, eh.;-)

Standing up for Ross puts you in the position of not being able to be critical of any character, unless you are a hypocryite.
    As i've said elsewhere if he looked like Marlon he wouldn't have any fans at all. Turning a blind eye to the crimes of this vile thug just because you fancy him is deeply shallow.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spunger wrote: »
    Standing up for Ross puts you in the position of not being able to be critical of any character, unless you are a hypocryite.
    As i've said elsewhere if he looked like Marlon he wouldn't have any fans at all. Turning a blind eye to the crimes of this vile thug just because you fancy him is deeply shallow.

If you replaced the name Ross with Cain, would you be posting a similar rant at those who like him?

And I will criticise who I like, when I like.
    Forum Member

I'll be critical of anyone I like. :p

Ross is fictional. His crimes are fictional. Messed up bad boys are entertaining to watch, if they're done well - and this one is.

Emmerdale is a soap. This was meant to be fun, wasn't it? I didn't realise we were all meant to be terribly cross and serious about it all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another fine post, cyrilandshirley!:D
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. That was waaaay OTT. :kitty:
  • star89star89 Posts: 24,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Standing up for Ross puts you in the position of not being able to be critical of any character, unless you are a hypocrite.

I find most people on these boards are lol.

One character can do something and no one bats an eye lid but if another does it they are immediately set upon.

However I think you might be being a little unfair though, Spunger. I doubt any of Ross' fans would be so quick to defend/praise someone in real life doing what he does. I think Ross is fit and am, usually, very complimentary about the character but because he's a fictional character. I'm hardly going to start swooning over a criminal, violent thug in real life. Same goes for my opinion on t'Fabulous Charity - love her but if she was a person in real life then no way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you replaced the name Ross with Cain, would you be posting a similar rant at those who like him?

And I will criticise who I like, when I like.

Then if you point the finger at one character you dont like but ignore crimes by ones done by someone you do like then you are a complete hypocrite. Made worse just because of what they look like.
    I'll have a go at anyone and everyone.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be critical of anyone I like. :p

Ross is fictional. His crimes are fictional. Messed up bad boys are entertaining to watch, if they're done well - and this one is.

Emmerdale is a soap. This was meant to be fun, wasn't it? I didn't realise we were all meant to be terribly cross and serious about it all.

I agree. In real life Ross would be a thug to hate; however, the setting is a soap, and as a soap bad boy character with more than a little sex appeal thanks to the ( to me) highly desirable and sexy actor who plays him with a bit of panache and makes this nasty character highly entertaining and shows a side that is hurt and damaged very well.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think it's shallow, spunger. The actor playing him is sexy. Soap bad boys should be sexy!
    See my above post :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. In real life Ross would be a thug to hate; however, the setting is a soap, and as a soap bad boy character with more than a little sex appeal thanks to the ( to me) highly desirable and sexy actor who plays him with a bit of panache and makes this nasty character highly entertaining and shows a side that is hurt and damaged very well.

Another fine common sense post, along with star, Sunny B and cyrilandshirley!;-)
    Forum Member

Thanks! That pretty much sums up Ross's appeal.

It's really the same with a bad girl character like Charity. If I met her in real life, I wouldn't be able to stand her! But on screen, she is amazing to watch - watching people with almost no conscience is weirdly fun. Same with Robert - I mean, what a dick! But I love watching him.

But I also enjoy Diane, Victoria, Vanessa, Alicia, Zak, in a different way - because there's room for both on a show like Emmerdale, the more ordinary ones and the crazy ones. It needs both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you noticed that coward Ross only attacks old men, he never picks on anyone his own age. And if Thief-Liar-Attacker-Ross was hanging around my 4-yr. old girl, I would have him arrested as a paedophile pretty quick.

Any credibility you ever had as a poster, Janet Plank, just died in this post. :blush:
  • star89star89 Posts: 24,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another fine common sense post, along with star, Sunny B and cyrilandshirley!;-)

:o A first time for everything :D
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add me to the Ross Defence Corps.

I absolutely love Ross's scenes with April. He could never look after her, I know that, he's too wild, but he does care about her, and he did love Donna. I think his attempts to keep contact with Donna through April are heartbreaking.
    See - this is where I would disagree with you C&S
    We never saw any scenes with him & April during his affair with Donna - the first scene we really saw was after the funeral - & while those scenes were good - I didn't see it as Ross "caring" for April - I just saw it as Ross "connecting" with April's grief.

To me - he feels sorry for her rather than having any actual care for her, and that "pity" (to me) parallels his own self pity more than it has anything to do with "caring" for April.

Ross is a selfish & self indulgent character - does that make him interesting - maybe, when the writing is good - but when the writing is bad (as it has been for this entire car stealing, Home Farm raiding fiasco) then I find the character dull & one dimensional.

I've never really understood this fanatical fandom thing that seems to happen with certain characters (usually good looking ones)

I just want a decent narrative with beliveable responses, interactions & outcomes between the characters involved.

Ross was interesting during the Donna storyline - at the moment, he's dull to the point of being downright ludicrous - and lauding & applauding this kind of crap only encourages the show to produce more of it!
    Forum Member
    See - this is where I would disagree with you C&S
    We never saw any scenes with him & April during his affair with Donna - the first scene wee really saw was after the funeral - & while those scenes were good - I didn't see it as Ross "caring" for April - I just saw it as Ross "connecting" with April's grief.

To me - he feels sorry for her rather than having any actual care for her, and that "pity" (to me) parallels his own self pity more than it has anything to do with "caring" for April.

Ross is a selfish & self indulgent character - does that make him interesting - maybe, when the writing is good - but when the writing is bad (as it has been for this entire car stealing, Home Farm raiding fiasco) then I find the character dull & one dimensional.

I've never really understood this fanatical fandom thing that seems to happen with certain characters (usually good looking ones)

I just want a decent narrative with beliveable responses, interactions & outcomes between the characters involved.

Ross was interesting during the Donna storyline - at the moment, he's dull to the point of being downright ludicrous.

Well, that's probably a more sophisticated analysis than mine. And I reckon I agree with pretty much all of it really.

I do think he has a connection with April, but it's a very painful one, because she reminds him of Donna, and that she's gone. Whether that counts as caring is up for debate - he seemed to care for her, when he found her in the car. But maybe it's shared grief, like you say.

I'm only defending Ross right now because I'm finding some of the attacks on him extreme. But hand on heart, since they put him with Aaron, I've been finding him pretty dull. The only redeeming scene for me in the last week or so was when he took the gift for April. He seemed so desperate, trying to make up for what he'd done in some way, and knowing it was really pretty crass in spite of himself.

I hope they find a better way of using him soon, because Michael Parr is a good actor. I think, anyway.

eta: I should maybe just add that I'm not a fanatical fan - did you think I was? I just enjoy watching him. But if I'm coming across as talking too much about him, I'll shut up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only defending Ross right now because I'm finding some of the attacks on him extreme.
    I won't disagree with that - calling him a paedophile is more than a :o comment - it's an OTT comment that has no sense or relevance to anything other than someone desperately trying to make themselves sound clever (without the integrity to realise how stupid & bigoted it makes them appear) ;-)
    But hand on heart, since they put him with Aaron, I've been finding him pretty dull.
    This stuff with Aaron is nothing more than a cheap shot by the production team to hype up interest from the "squeeing" social media fans. Putting two "good looking bad boys" together (when one of them is gay) is supposed to excite & titillate us - whilst it has titillated the social media fans, it has done nothing ratings wise. General viewers have seen it for the shallow manipulative guff that it is and are switching off!

The only redeeming scene for me in the last week or so was when he took the gift for April. He seemed so desperate, trying to make up for what he'd done in some way, and knowing it was really pretty crass in spite of himself.
    You see - this is where I found it to be the most manipulative (in terms of narrative) - he batters a 60 year old guy, trusses him up, causing him to have a heart attack (not that it did him any harm ;-)) - but that's okay because he buys a gift from his ill-gotten gains for a child who's mother has died - that's not interesting to me - it's cheap manipulative storytelling that dismisses atrocious behaviour by covering it up with emotional claptrap.
    I hope they find a better way of using him soon, because Michael Parr is a good actor. I think, anyway.
    I agree - Michael Parr has shown us he can bring depth & subtlety to his character - but the current storylining / writing team at Emmerdale need to pull their fingers out of their arses & create storylines that use his talent in much better ways >:(:(
    eta: I should maybe just add that I'm not a fanatical fan - did you think I was? I just enjoy watching him. But if I'm coming across as talking too much about him, I'll shut up!
    Don't shut up :) - it's an open discussion forum - you have as much right to say what you feel like saying as much as the next poster.

Like you, I think Ross has the potential to be a fantastic character - loved the banter between him & Cain - loved the subtleties & depth that his relationship with Donna brought to him.

This stuff with Aaron has been utter bullshit - and I call it out as the utter manipulative bullshit that it has been.
    And if we want things to improve for the character - then we need to call bullshit out when we see it ;-)
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »

:o:o:o:o:o:o

*traumatised for life*
    :cry:
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o:o:o:o:o:o

*traumatised for life*
    :cry:
    Aww Sheepie, have some of this. There's not much left though, I had to use quite a lot :o:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Aww Sheepie, have some of this. There's not much left though, I had to use quite a lot :o:(

Grabs bottle and downs the lot......

.....nope - not helping :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    I find most people on these boards are lol.

One character can do something and no one bats an eye lid but if another does it they are immediately set upon.

However I think you might be being a little unfair though, Spunger. I doubt any of Ross' fans would be so quick to defend/praise someone in real life doing what he does. I think Ross is fit and am, usually, very complimentary about the character but because he's a fictional character. I'm hardly going to start swooning over a criminal, violent thug in real life. Same goes for my opinion on t'Fabulous Charity - love her but if she was a person in real life then no way.

Perhaps it would be better if people said they liked watching a Ross or Charity rather than actually like them as a character. There's a big difference between the two.
    What I hate is seeing people have a go at Andy for beating Jo but the same people have no problem with Ross beating up old people.
    To me Ross is much worse. Andy has mental issues which effect him. Ross's is clear jheaded and will be violent for self gain.
This discussion has been closed.