Options

Do you think it's slightly cheeky to hold Race For Life on Father's Day??

mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I feel a bit sorry for Dads having their day hijacked by the girls of the household participating in the very worthy cause that is race for life...

In some ways it's not so bad as I went to watch and cheer them on last year and saw more fantastic boobage than I have all year!

Even so though, Dad inevitably ends up driving the girls to the venue, stressing about finding a parking space....etc.etc. I'm sure a few of them would far sooner be down the pub or vegging out at home!?

Comments

• Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Father's Day is on Sunday 20th June this year.

As far as I can see there are many Race for Life events in different parts of the country, some of which have already been held and some are still to come:

http://www.raceforlife.org/choose-your-event.aspx

Or is there one main Race for Life event somewhere?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Ours was way back at the start of May
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    Do you think it's slightly cheeky to hold Race For Life on Father's Day??

I feel a bit sorry for Dads having their day hijacked by the girls of the household participating in the very worthy cause that is race for life...

In some ways it's not so bad as I went to watch and cheer them on last year and saw more fantastic boobage than I have all year!

Even so though, Dad inevitably ends up driving the girls to the venue, stressing about finding a parking space....etc.etc. I'm sure a few of them would far sooner be down the pub or vegging out at home!?

No , I dont think so ........... What they are doing is very worthwhile and your Dad must be very proud of them , but I do think its selfish of them to expect him to drive them there on his special day ............ Surely they can arrange another lift , no ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats a bit dramatised.
    I bet more Dads are miffed to get woken up early, by their offsprings, with an offering of burnt toast or soggy cereal in bed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno I was talking hypothetically really...
  • Options
    Pyramid*Pyramid* Posts: 4,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D:D

Every cloud and all that!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In other words... If you were a dad, you'd be peed off, having to drive your daughter or mother of your child to an event, which collects funds for a good cause!
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this for breast cancer?

You can be sure that once that's cured, nobody will give a crap about the nearly as devastating testicular cancer.

Given that fact, yes it is a little insulting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really?
  • Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah dads wont mind. Besides RFL is held on lots of different days. I was going to run one in July til I got ill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?

yea, I'm not a Dad (I hope!)
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's cheeky to hold Father's Day on Race For Life Day :mad: BRING BACK HANGIN
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    I think it's cheeky to hold Father's Day on Race For Life Day :mad: BRING BACK HANGIN

...i'm not sure people would fulfill their sponsorships if no-one is around to collect it :D :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    555 wrote: »

You can be sure that once that's cured, nobody will give a crap about the nearly as devastating testicular cancer.

What a silly thing to say ! .......... Of course they will and hopefully a cure for one will quickly lead to a cure for all or at least most cancers .

If you care that strongly , then organise a " Race For Life " , for men and their Baw Sacks ........ :D
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...i'm not sure people would fulfill their sponsorships if no-one is around to collect it :D :eek:

Nah hanging as in let fathers enter... with their undies on their heads... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do one for chaps for baw cancer, but it's 10k typical bloody male one-upmanship and competitiveness :rolleyes: I get tired running a bath, so I'm happy to give a little £ to someone with more err grit? energy? motivation? somthin...
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just as a matter of interest, here are some figures.

In 2007 there were 45,700 new cases of breast cancer in women and 277 in men.

In the same year there were 1,990 new cases of testicular cancer and 36,101 new cases of prostate cancer.

Annual number of deaths from breast cancer: 12,000 women, 70 men.

Annual deaths from testicular cancer: 70.

And from prostate cancer: 10.150.

You'll see that there's around the same number of male deaths from breast cancer as testicular cancer.

Source: http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/index.htm

Deaths from testicular cancer are relatively rare compared to those from breast cancer or prostate cancer.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, here are some figures.

In 2007 there were 45,700 new cases of breast cancer in women and 277 in men.

In the same year there were 1,990 new cases of testicular cancer and 36,101 new cases of prostate cancer.

Annual number of deaths from breast cancer: 12,000 women, 70 men.

Annual deaths from testicular cancer: 70.

And from prostate cancer: 10.150.

You'll see that there's around the same number of male deaths from breast cancer as testicular cancer.

Source: http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/index.htm

Deaths from testicular cancer are relatively rare compared to those from breast cancer or prostate cancer.

Indeed. If one is going to bang a drum about "male" cancer then bang it about prostate cancer. It's a pernicious, nasty and devastating cancer. A lot like breast cancer is.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member

Whilst I can't help but think your being a little sensationalist here I do see your point. The current promotional stance does seem to be very much geared to women, and usually seems to neglect stuff like testicular cancer or even the fact that men can get breast cancer too. The latter admittedly being quite rare in comparison but still totally relevant.

Nevertheless its a good cause, and if I was a father I would be very proud to have my kids involved in fund-raising events like this.
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Race for life isn't just for breast cancer, it's for Cancer Research, so the women aren't just doing it for their boobs, they're doing it for mens balls too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Kathrynha wrote: »
    Race for life isn't just for breast cancer, it's for Cancer Research, so the women aren't just doing it for their boobs, they're doing it for mens balls too!

I was just going to say that. It's race for life, not race for breast cancer. I'm sure people do the run in memory of male friends/relatives who'd died too.

Men can get breast cancer too, by the way. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Myself and two friends did the 10k Race for Life at Silverstone last week. None of us had done it before but all of us would do it again, was fantastic :D

What difference does it make if its on Fathers Day? I'm sure most men would be proud of their wives/daughters/mums etc just for taking part.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they were aware of the date, and other events happening on the same day, but it may have been the only weekend where they were able to get permission to hold it!
    It's better to have it that weekend than not at all!

If the dad of the family had to sacrifice "his day" to be a chauffeur, bag-holder etc, then I'm sure that any loving family would more than make it up to him the following weekend!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the London to Brighton bike ride last year on Fathers Day. My wife didn't even come down to see me at the finish line! :cry:
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, here are some figures..

Thanks for that. It was prostate cancer that I meant. I stand corrected.

There is still vanishingly little interest in this though compared to all the banging on about breast cancer.