Options

iPhone Guided Tour

Comments

• Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Its not exactly wow, there are far more capable phones out there. They cost less and don't have any of the restrictions of the iPhone.
    Its a good phone for the style conscious, but not wow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    Its not exactly wow, there are far more capable phones out there. They cost less and don't have any of the restrictions of the iPhone.
    Its a good phone for the style conscious, but not wow.

Give me a break.
  • Options
    TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh, it's got nothing my Vario 2 can't do, just in prettier housing.
  • Options
    wickstawicksta Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Download quicktime to view this video"

That tells me all I need to know.
  • Options
    Adam DAdam D Posts: 5,124
    Forum Member
    yes - wow! i love it!
  • Options
    Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talizman wrote: »
    Meh, it's got nothing my Vario 2 can't do, just in prettier housing.
    Meh? I'll go so far as to say 'Feh'*

*Feh - equivalent to Meh x 20 or "Whatever" x 10
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely brilliant.

lmao at Far more capable phones at a more capable price.

No other phone comes close to having all those features.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntl:rocks wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant.

lmao at Far more capable phones at a more capable price.

Replace 'features' with 'gimmicks' and you'll on the right path.
  • Options
    intheknowintheknow Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    It's the UI that's the bonus, it's well thought out and better than symbian or windows mobile, however other phones do have more FEATURES, like a 5 Megapixel camera, SIP, GPS, Sat Nav, built in podcasting over air = N95.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Talizman wrote: »
    Replace 'features' with 'gimmicks' and you'll on the right path.

So from what was shown on that tour, what parts of the interface are 'gimmicks'? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sliders, the ways calls are selected, fast-scrolling through the phonebook (yeah like how many of us have so many names in our phones that we need to have that?), plenty of other things.

Sorry but my Vario 2 does everything I could need an iPhone to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

Motorola A1200e

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=3195&source=BROWSER

MP3 playback, 2.0MP camera, touch screen, radio, web browsing, etc, etc.

Sure, we can get into the subjective debate about which user interface is best (though pointless since I assume no one on here has ever actually used an I-Phone in anger), which is probably as easy to settle as the MS and Apple user interface debate!

But to say no products come close on features is just incorrect. The Motorola A1200 has been available for about 9 months and has pretty much all the features of the I-Phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but you cannot claim the Motorola A1200 to be anywhere near as functional.

Way less pixels and a small 2.4inch screen - accompanied with an Opera browser would make full internet totally pointless, cramed and difficult.

It's also huge in comparison and has only 256k colours compared to iPhone 16million. It has no Wi-Fi and does it even play videos? Oh and a poorer battery life.

The A1200 is a baby operating system based phone.

EDIT: Oh and no multi-touch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but you cannot claim the Motorola A1200 to be anywhere near as functional.

Way less pixels and a small 2.4inch screen - accompanied with an Opera browser would make full internet totally pointless, cramed and difficult.

It's also huge in comparison and has only 256k colours compared to iPhone 16million. It has no Wi-Fi and does it even play videos? Oh and a poorer battery life.

The A1200 is a baby operating system based phone.

EDIT: Oh and no multi-touch

But I can certainly claim that is does come close. I can spend more minutes of my life finding phones that do all you say and more - it's not hard. The Nokia N95 immediately springs to mind.

http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4344017

The point is, to say "No other phone comes close to having all those features" is just not accurate in my opinion. Some come INCREDIBLY close, and in the case of the N95, have more.

And multi-touch... the A1200 actually does allow you to scroll through documents, web pages and go through photos. Motorola didn't bother with the cool name for this feature, but it doesn't stop it from doing it.

And smaller display = smaller phone. No such things as a free lunch in mobile phones :)

I-Phone:
    4.5 x 2.4

A1200:
    3.7 x 2.0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah o.k then but I can presume the moto is thicker than the iPhone.

Multi-touch isn't a fancy name with regard to scrolling - it's a patented technology that allows more than one finger to be recognised by the screen leading to resizing of photos with ease - and I realise your not going to spend all day resizing photos :D but i'm sure other uses will come along.

Maybe we'll just agree to disagree - the Apple phone was always going to be hated and loved.

And as for the Nokia having all the features - it lacks the most fundamental one that Apple announce will reinvent the phone! not to mention 2gb's of storage if you buy an external card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hobbes79 wrote: »
    But I can certainly claim that is does come close. I can spend more minutes of my life finding phones that do all you say and more - it's not hard. The Nokia N95 immediately springs to mind.

http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4344017

The point is, to say "No other phone comes close to having all those features" is just not accurate in my opinion. Some come INCREDIBLY close, and in the case of the N95, have more.

And multi-touch... the A1200 actually does allow you to scroll through documents, web pages and go through photos. Motorola didn't bother with the cool name for this feature, but it doesn't stop it from doing it.

And smaller display = smaller phone. No such things as a free lunch in mobile phones :)

I-Phone:
    4.5 x 2.4

A1200:
    3.7 x 2.0

The N95 has some superior features to the iPhone - GPS, 5mpx camera etc. But what a lot of people fail to get is the UI of the iPhone which IS far ahead of any other phone available on the market. How else can Apple give a 20 minute demo of the thing being used and get such acclaim? You dont ever see other manufacturers flaunting their UI like that, and its with good reason. They are happy to show the industrial design of the device with the screen switched off (LG especially). Or to simply show a Google page to hide the hideously ugly and over complicated UI (Nokia)

If anything, Apples entry into this market will cause the other manufacturers to step their games up on the UI front. Windows Mobile, Symbian etc. Theyre awful in this respect (my personal and work phones are each so im qualified to make a review on this). So competition like this is a good thing for us consumers and the mobile industry as a whole, which is stuck in a complete rut of innovation IMO.

So I discredit anybody coming in here talking about gimmicks and for the 'style conscious'. It just so happens to come in an attractive package and beautiful graphical interface. If you cant recognise that the UI of the iPhone represents a rather significant leap from the current generation of phones, then I cant take your opinion seriously. Go ahead, take your phone and see if navigation, media management and media browsing, call holding and transferring, etc is as easy to do as it appears to be on the iPhone. Really be honest with yourself. And this is the key thing, not whether your phone can already play MP3s or has WiFi. These kind of things are trivial and easy to implement. But a UI so fluid, logical (the proximity sensor that disables the touchscreen when near your face for example) and innovative is extremely hard to pull off, and wont be so easy for the others to catch up as it would be for Apple to throw a 3G radio in there and GPS.

Also, the Moto has nothing like Multitouch. Again, lets be honest with ourselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on! Nobody has actually got 1 yet!

Look at the fuss over the N95 before that came out! Its not the big hit everyone thought.

People see a "Spec list" and lose all control of their bodily functions, it'll only end in disapointment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eddie2004 wrote: »
    Hang on! Nobody has actually got 1 yet!

Look at the fuss over the N95 before that came out! Its not the big hit everyone thought.

People see a "Spec list" and lose all control of their bodily functions, it'll only end in disapointment.

This proves what I am trying to say. The N95 is like every other Symbian phone with some kick ass specs. The problem for me was never the specs in the first place (the N series is generally feature rich), but the abomination that is Symbian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give me an SE phone anyday, a good honest, functional phone, no GPS i admit.

TomTom does me when i need GPS, less likely to drop out of my shirt pocket as well! Don't cost £400+ to replace either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give me an SE phone anyday, a good honest, functional phone, no GPS i admit.

You missed out 'crap video camera'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i want a video camera i'll buy one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't stand SE's. I tried to get back to the main screen of my friends phone by hitting the logical button and instead was brought to BlueTooth settings.

I'm a samsung guy, simple , straightforward and also beautifully laid out.

Anyway , the guided tour is pretty good - shows some of the features to people thinking about buying it and does a good job at demonstrating the great graphical interface to people who are bored and confused by other phones on the market.
  • Options
    neo6776neo6776 Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    The N95 has some superior features to the iPhone - GPS, 5mpx camera etc. But what a lot of people fail to get is the UI of the iPhone which IS far ahead of any other phone available on the market. How else can Apple give a 20 minute demo of the thing being used and get such acclaim? You dont ever see other manufacturers flaunting their UI like that, and its with good reason. They are happy to show the industrial design of the device with the screen switched off (LG especially). Or to simply show a Google page to hide the hideously ugly and over complicated UI (Nokia)

If anything, Apples entry into this market will cause the other manufacturers to step their games up on the UI front. Windows Mobile, Symbian etc. Theyre awful in this respect (my personal and work phones are each so im qualified to make a review on this). So competition like this is a good thing for us consumers and the mobile industry as a whole, which is stuck in a complete rut of innovation IMO.

So I discredit anybody coming in here talking about gimmicks and for the 'style conscious'. It just so happens to come in an attractive package and beautiful graphical interface. If you cant recognise that the UI of the iPhone represents a rather significant leap from the current generation of phones, then I cant take your opinion seriously. Go ahead, take your phone and see if navigation, media management and media browsing, call holding and transferring, etc is as easy to do as it appears to be on the iPhone. Really be honest with yourself. And this is the key thing, not whether your phone can already play MP3s or has WiFi. These kind of things are trivial and easy to implement. But a UI so fluid, logical (the proximity sensor that disables the touchscreen when near your face for example) and innovative is extremely hard to pull off, and wont be so easy for the others to catch up as it would be for Apple to throw a 3G radio in there and GPS.

Also, the Moto has nothing like Multitouch. Again, lets be honest with ourselves.

Utter twaddle i'm afraid.

No one has one yet so a video = nothing.

Remember one thing, apple make a meal out of everything they launch. They have pics, videos of the mess that imo is OSX.

So again video = nothing.

In real life this iphone might be an utter disaster which i think it will be.

Also am i to assume your a mac user?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i want a video camera i'll buy one.

Hehe, well you'd need to wouldn't you? Seeing as the SE video recorder is crap :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    neo6776 to call Mac OSX a mess is just bitter let's be honest. There was no need to bring OSX into the argument at all.

Without the Mac OS' - there wouldn't be vista and you'd still be using DOS.

Hardly a mess when everything in the OS you use is based on it.