Options

EastEnders : Ross Kemp vs Leslie Grantham (first stint) , who was the better actor?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
Forum Member
As the title reads

I am focusing on Leslie Grantham's first stint as I don't see his second one as fair

Leslie Grantham as Den Watts (1985- 1989)

Ross Kemp as Grant Mitchell (1990- 1999 )

I thought Grants 2005 and 2006 stints to be a bit of a parody to be honest

Comments

• Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough one, I view these two actors as the portrayers of the two standout icons in the show.

I'd go for Kemp as the better actor in the technical sense of the word, he was capable of conveying more emotionally to the viewer, plus he had double the time on the square to Grantham so more time to develop the character. Den was a very one-dimensional character (which is a plus point) keeping all his feelings bottled up, so his performances were played one way for the most part, but no less entertaining.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Grantham is a better actor than Kemp. I prefer Kemp's documentaries to his acting. I agree with Rhydler that Kemp had more opportunities to show different sides to his character than Grantham did but he was a bit wooden in my opinion. Grantham's second stint was phoned in for the most part and so was Kemp's 2005 and 2006 returns so they were about equal by then.
  • Options
    Zeus89Zeus89 Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Leslie was better, they were both good, but as someone else did say Grant did have more time on the show, and did develop. I think if Leslie had done the same they would have had him like a Cain Dingle type character, by showing the more nicer side, but keeping him as a bad guy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Grantham is a better actor than Kemp. I prefer Kemp's documentaries to his acting. I agree with Rhydler that Kemp had more opportunities to show different sides to his character than Grantham did but he was a bit wooden in my opinion. Grantham's second stint was phoned in for the most part and so was Kemp's 2005 and 2006 returns so they were about equal by then.

Why do you think Leslie Grantham and Ross Kemp phoned in their performances ?

Den's scenses post Kathy being raped by Willmot Brown always stand out for me
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like BA says Kemp should stick to documentaries as he CANNOT act. Hope that answers the question
    :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he can see EE 1990-1999
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes he can see EE 1990-1999

The scene where Grant beats up the police in 1993, the acting from Ross Kemp was so bad I had to skip the bit where he confronts Sharon and the police woman in the Queen Vic, behind the ramp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol...you're joking right??
  • Options
    Michael_DunhamMichael_Dunham Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Leslie Grantham
  • Options
    ZarlaZarla Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    I think Grantham was brilliant in the 80s and the soap revolved around him. He was good looking and almost mesmerising to watch at times. I think the initial popularity of EE was down to him more than any other actor. Had Kemp been around at the same time, Grantham would still have been the mesmerising one.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,839
    Forum Member
    Leslie & Anita were, without a shadow of a doubt the best two actors in EE in the early days, any scene they shared was electric.

Sadly Ross could just stomp around the Square threatening to bash someone like some Neanderthal or crashing into the pub, the cafe, the garage or someone's home asking if they'd seen Phil.

No comparison for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zarla wrote: »
    I think Grantham was brilliant in the 80s and the soap revolved around him. He was good looking and almost mesmerising to watch at times. I think the initial popularity of EE was down to him more than any other actor. Had Kemp been around at the same time, Grantham would still have been the mesmerising one.

I agree
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Leslie & Anita were, without a shadow of a doubt the best two actors in EE in the early days, any scene they shared was electric.

Sadly Ross could just stomp around the Square threatening to bash someone like some Neanderthal or crashing into the pub, the cafe, the garage or someone's home asking if they'd seen Phil.

No comparison for me.

I liked Grant but the Watts were always my favourite soap family and the interplay between Leslie and Anita was fantastic.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ross Kemp could grunt a bit but he could not jump over the bar to sort out a customer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Ross Kemp could grunt a bit but he could not jump over the bar to sort out a customer

If Tammy ever have a chance to watch the 1993 episode where Grant beats up the police and gets arrested, he jumps over the bar then
  • Options
    Davy_rocksDavy_rocks Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was to young so an wasn't allowed to watch ee until bout 95-96 so it has to be grant for me ☺
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I only first saw Den in the Den and Angie years video around 1995, so I was aware of Grant first, but I still prefer Den

Den also seemed a more caring person than Grant