Liverpool's title challenge all over already?

DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,226
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not being sarcastic but as it stands five points and 15 goals behind Chelsea already. I know its a bit ridiculous but its already going to be a hard fight back isn't it? After only two games it already looks difficult such is the premier league these days.

Comments

• DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was never going to be a title challenge from Liverpool this season.

You have our end of season top 4 already in there:

Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United, Man City in there after two games:eek:
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean . . . Chelsea won't drop 5 points over the next 36 games :eek: :eek:

Don't be silly.

How long have you watched football.
  • Damien.Damien. Posts: 18,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. vs Arsenal & Man City was never going to be an easy start to the season, where was Chelsea have had an exceptionally easy start. I'd say they'll score quite a few against WBA next week.
  • SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,523
    Forum Member
    Did ANYONE expect Liverpool to contend for the title?

Even if they were it's 2 games into the season so of course not. This is another knee-jerk post.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    lol at title challenge!

we finished 7th last season. the title was never on this year!
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think top half will be an achievement with that squad
  • Jack_OJack_O Posts: 991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was never any sniff of a chance of challenging for the title. Liverpool are a club in crisis, thinking that getting Joe Cole in will transform their fortunes?

Basically, if Mascherano leaves, Liverpool will be left with a scarily paper-thin squad where their two best players in Gerrard and Torres are always out with injuries.

Not to mention a punishing Europa League scenario, which will make their fixtures even more congested, four competitions.

The only chance Liverpool have is a good solid takeover.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Title challenge? Lolz. :D:D
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who thought Liverpool could win the league was in dreamland. They have the same problem they have had for seasons. After their best first eleven they have nothing else. The bench is bare.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I didn't expect Liverpool to be top 4 and that was pre-season. No idea why Liverpool appointed Roy Hodgson. It's gonna be a rocky path ahead for them.
  • Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,674
    Forum Member
    Anyone who expects us to finish in the top 4 this season needs their head examining.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a few decent signings and Torres staying I stupidly thought they had turned the corner.

My top 4 is Chelsea followed by Man City then Man Utd and finally Arsenal.
    No dark horses in sight.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    We are two games into a 38 game season.
  • ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    I actually thought Liverpool were going to do quite well this season although if they lose Macherano and continue to play Ngog and Lucas instead of Babbel and Poulsson things are looking a bit dodgy.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Anyone who thought Liverpool could win the league was in dreamland. They have the same problem they have had for seasons. After their best first eleven they have nothing else. The bench is bare.

I think their first eleven is suspect, it appears to have Ngog and Lucas in it.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We aren't exactly challenging for the title. But I'd like to remind everyone that football teams can take a bit of a walloping and still do bloody well. We thrashed Man Utd 4-1 not so long ago, and was their title challenge over? No.

Stop trolling. Chelsea played Wigan and West Brom. Liverpool have had to face Arsenal and Man City. Hardly the same kettle of fish.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »

Same problem, people seem to forget we finished 2nd the season before last and pushed Man Utd most of the way. We only lost Alonso, had a dire season and now everyone writes us off.

Do continue. I hope you have a shock coming.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    I never saw Liverpool as serious title challengers this season. I see no reason why they shouldn't be serious challengers for a top 4 place though. It was just a bad day at the office yesterday. Arsenal got turned over 4-2 around this time last season by Man City but went on to secure a top 4 spot. Liverpool will need to improve on their away form though. There is still a long way to go and this defeat needn't be the end of the world if you are a Liverpool fan.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on. We drew to Arsenal with 10 men for half of the game and 9 for at least 5 minutes. Had that own goal not gone in with seconds to play we'd be on 3pts and this thread wouldn't exist. City are contenders this season and plenty of good teams will go to the COM stadium and come away with worse scorelines. In any case Liverpool were never going to be title challengers this season anyway. A top 4 place is still our target and the 2 games so far haven't changed that.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    I never saw Liverpool as serious title challengers this season. I see no reason why they shouldn't be serious challengers for a top 4 place though. It was just a bad day at the office yesterday. Arsenal got turned over 4-2 around this time last season by Man City but went on to secure a top 4 spot. Liverpool will need to improve on their away form though. There is still a long way to go and this defeat needn't be the end of the world if you are a Liverpool fan.
    ..................edit wrong post quoted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's only two teams capable of winning the league. Another 3 that can challenge for the CL places and then you've got the duffers fighting over the Europa spots. Liverpool will probably come top out of the duffers.

I think Chelsea will stroll it this year.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Same problem, people seem to forget we finished 2nd the season before last and pushed Man Utd most of the way. We only lost Alonso, had a dire season and now everyone writes us off.

Do continue. I hope you have a shock coming.
    Theres no shock coming, Liverpool dont stand a chance, the first team isnt that strong never mind any strength in depth, they'll be back though when those two donkeys in charge are gone.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought Liverpool's goal this season would be to get back into the top 4.Talk of league challenges is very silly imho and smacks of the Sky Sports generation who would have you believe every defeat is the end of the world whilst every victory makes you world beaters.:)
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4th from the bottom says it all, really.
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    4th from the bottom says it all, really.

Blackpool were top of the table last weekend remember? I'm not sure how much store can be set by the league table at this point of the season.

Seriously though, I never expected Liverpool to be challenging for the title this time around; the squad is not nearly deep enough, and there is not the money available to keep up with the likes of Man City etc and their spending.

That being said though, Arsenal and Man City as the opening two games of the season was never going to be the easiest way to start - particularly compared to Chelsea's first five games being against the five favourites for relegation this year! The top teams will, I suspect, take even more points off each other than last season so I am not writing off all hope of making the Champions League just yet.