A Clockwork Orange - Your Opinions On It.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As some of you may know im doing a presentation on it because it caused alot of contraversy in the media..

And for some of the research and paperwork i would like to ask you's what you thought of it..
Did you like it? was it too violent? Any of your opinions. thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. It has got alot of violence in it but it is presented well with its full effect still achieved. One thing I did find weird is that there is alot of topless women in it!
  • trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like it, i didn't think it was too violent, though its violence was more "real" rather than hollywood-esque as you'd get in a HK film for example which is why the violence puts some people off.
  • DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember there being a *lot* of topless women in it. :D

I like it. I didn't think it was particularly violent, and the violence isn't gun violence so when you compare it to say "Resevoir Dogs" it's pretty mild.

There's supposedly an extra chapter in the book that gives a happier, or at least different ending. Can anybody remember?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the film,

Not really as controversial as I thought it would be, just proves how these originally shocking movies are becoming "diluted" by modern media pushing the boundries as far as is possible.

Have the book next to me, started the first chapter and the language is proving more difficult to catch a hold of in comparison to the film, have to reread a few sentences.

W.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there was another ending in the book.. Kubrick didnt want it in the film.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clockwork Orange is an outstanding film by an excellent director.

I love the bit at the very start where Alex stares into the camera and the music is playing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    I had to review the book as part of my english coursework this yeat. I found the film to be more violent than the book. It is probably because of the language. The nadsat made the violence seem a little unreal and not quite as bad as seeing it. I didn't watch the film to the very end as I had to return it the next day. I stopped when Alex was being arrested and taken to the prison. How was the ending different?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex Young wrote:
    I like it. It has got alot of violence in it but it is presented well with its full effect still achieved. One thing I did find weird is that there is alot of topless women in it!

Oh what a tragedy, to many topless girls
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love it . Re watched it again this afternoon. One of the best films ever made in my opinion and one of the few films that should never ever be re-made.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    One of the few movies I prefer to the novel. Malcolm McDowell is tremendous as Alex and, considering it's horrendously dark subject matter, it's actually a very, very funny film.

Have never been able to listen to the William Tell Overture in the same way after seeing the film, though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Dull.

It's notoriety makes it special. If Kubrick hadn't put a block on it being seen legally for god knows how many years the film would have been forgotten along with many other films made in that decade.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I find Kubrick's film of "ACO" to be a great disappointment compared to
    the Anthony Burgess novel. As other writers have pointed out, Burgess' novel
    depends heavily on the use of language, so it isn't really cinematic. Also,
    a lot of the violence in Kubrick's film felt rather problematic, particularly
    the long rape scene, where it felt voyeuristic.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Visually amazingly spectacular (think of the opening panning-out shot of Alex and his mates, sitting in the club, for instance) and I loved that atmospheric synthesiser riff that kept recurring throughout.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am rather a fan of Burgess, in particular of course the Enderby books. The book in question is a very stylish and enjoyable read indeed. But the basic thesis, that rape and even murder are just inevitable stages of growing up and need not be taken seriously, is just garbage.

I went though early teen years and pre teen years not being completely law abiding, smashing light bulbs in street lamps, and doing some vandalising, burning stuff and so on. I can even see how some worse kids might steal a car for joyriding. But harming people was a definite no and was restricted to a very few bullies who went on to get into serious trouble.

I suppose it is possible to say that the book exaggerates to make the case Burgess is arguing, but that is a very thin argument.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I do wonder if the Russian slang and the Soviet style murals in the novel/film are taken to
    mean that this future Britain has come under the influence of Russia, and hence why the society there is so unpleasant (Burgess mentions in one of his writings that when he visited
    Russia, he learned Moscow had a serious juvenile deliquency problem).
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very disappointed when I saw it. It doesn't live up to it's notoriety and it has dated horribly.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dull.

It's notoriety makes it special. If Kubrick hadn't put a block on it being seen legally for god knows how many years the film would have been forgotten along with many other films made in that decade.

I doubt it. Are you saying that A Clockwork Orange would be a forgotten film and all of Stanley Kubrick's other films wouldn't be?
    I think that is a very unrealistic suggestion.
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I preferred the novel to the film, purely due to the fact that as you read the book, you start to understand the language Alex uses and it somehow draws you into his dystopian world.
    The film treats you as an observer and so you don't get that intimate relationship with the characters as you do with the text.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    The ban only applied to the UK anyway, and thus its reputation as an exceptional piece of film-making rather than an item of cultural noteriety was cemented elsewhere.

Not my favourite Kubrick by a long shot, but it's still something extraordinary to behold. The rough, grim Britishness of it, the internal schematics, the typical visual prowess.

True, the early seventies architecture and artfulness timestamp it somewhat, but that's what art often does. For Kubrick some of it looks a little scrappy and throwaway, and there's little of the subtlety he's shown before, but these are also what makes it work.

There's still never been anything else quite like it. Viddy well indeed.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    The ban only applied to the UK anyway, and thus its reputation as an exceptional piece of film-making rather than an item of cultural noteriety was cemented elsewhere.

Not my favourite Kubrick by a long shot, but it's still something extraordinary to behold. The rough, grim Britishness of it, the internal schematics, the typical visual prowess.

True, the early seventies architecture and artfulness timestamp it somewhat, but that's what art often does. For Kubrick some of it looks a little scrappy and throwaway, and there's little of the subtlety he's shown before, but these are also what makes it work.

There's still never been anything else quite like it. Viddy well indeed.

I don't think the film was ever banned in the UK I'm pretty certain that something happened and Kubrick got the film withdrawn from release here.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the film, which was a shock to me because I hated the book.

It's not a classic, and is over-rated by many IMO, it's saved on many fronts by a top notch performance by McDowell.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    ^ True. It wasn't a ban as such. Kubrick did have it withdrawn.
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As some of you may know im doing a presentation on it because it caused alot of contraversy in the media..

And for some of the research and paperwork i would like to ask you's what you thought of it..
    Did you like it? was it too violent? Any of your opinions. thank you.

It was total crap , and still is .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a well good movie and Stan is the Man. But, why did he do Barry Lyndon afterwards ?
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite films. Just loved how arty it was. From the music, to the make up to the language. Yes it was violent, but in my opinion it was done in such a way that it was more like watching a violent opera/ballet/west end show. There are far more violent films around now.