Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Rob, best of luck to you. And where can fanfiction lead? Can you say 50 shades of Grey?
  • Options
    Ms_SarahMs_Sarah Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    When he said "I don't want that, either" her expression said two things (for me): He acknowledged that the marriage was failing and that he was discontented, too.

Was her happiness in question? His? Theirs? Where will the writers go? Also, will the OR speech even be an issue - if she has no memory of it.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms_Sarah wrote: »
    When he said "I don't want that, either" her expression said two things (for me): He acknowledged that the marriage was failing and that he was discontented, too.

Was her happiness in question? His? Theirs? Where will the writers go? Also, will the OR speech even be an issue - if she has no memory of it.

Her "O-Kaaay" did seem to be a) surprised and b) not entirely positive -- that is, not like someone saying OK then, good, we're on the same page. I do think she heard him as maybe admitting that he was not very happy in their marriage at that point. The succeeding scene in which a myriad of expressions pass over her face in rapid succession suggests to me that at this point, she doesn't know what to think about what he or she might want to do next.

Of course, we know, though Louisa may or may not know, that he does genuinely want to make things better.

At long last I have settled in my own mind on in an interpretation of "This doesn't change anything" which begins that interchange. I think she means, the fact that I can't fly away to Spain doesn't change the fact that our marriage is in a lot of trouble and I'm not willing to pretend any more that it isn't. What exactly she intends to do at this point, in terms of living apart while they sort things out, or staying with him while presumably they do the same, is left unclear. Maybe it is also unclear to her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    Her "O-Kaaay" did seem to be a) surprised and b) not entirely positive -- that is, not like someone saying OK then, good, we're on the same page. I do think she heard him as maybe admitting that he was not very happy in their marriage at that point. The succeeding scene in which a myriad of expressions pass over her face in rapid succession suggests to me that at this point, she doesn't know what to think about what he or she might want to do next.

Of course, we know, though Louisa may or may not know, that he does genuinely want to make things better.

At long last I have settled in my own mind on in an interpretation of "This doesn't change anything" which begins that interchange. I think she means, the fact that I can't fly away to Spain doesn't change the fact that our marriage is in a lot of trouble and I'm not willing to pretend any more that it isn't. What exactly she intends to do at this point, in terms of living apart while they sort things out, or staying with him while presumably they do the same, is left unclear. Maybe it is also unclear to her.

She said "okay" as if she was a little surprised that he was on the same page AND he was also unhappy with things as they were. Until then, he hadn't acknowledged that she/they had any reason for change (or need a break). That is how I saw the exchange.

Does Louisa remember the OR speech? I say no. If they discussed anything before her departure for Spain, it could have been rehashed then. The writers hadn't decided at that point, possibly. :p

NP, she was positive in one way. She asked for him - and then he appeared. She looked happy to see her husband. Aww.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I interpreted "This doesn't change anything" to mean "Yes, you saved my life but I'm still unhappy and sick and tired of how our marriage is going". As if he would expect her to fly into his arms with eternal gratitude. I don't know why she had to say it. Martin never expects what he does to end up beneficial to him. We pessimists are like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She said "okay" as if she was a little surprised that he was on the same page AND he was also unhappy with things as they were. Until then, he hadn't acknowledged that she/they had any reason for change (or need a break). That is how I saw the exchange.

Does Louisa remember the OR speech? I say no. If they discussed anything before her departure for Spain, it could have been rehashed then. The writers hadn't decided at that point, possibly. :p

NP, she was positive in one way. She asked for him - and then he appeared. She looked happy to see her husband. Aww.

What I don't understand about that OR speech is, if we aren't expected to think that she remembers it, why have him give it at all? Only so we the audience know how he feels? to give MC a chance to do a nice piece of acting? I'd rather believe that it has some relevance to the plot, I guess.

But I doubt that we'll ever hear any reference to the speech again, in S7.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Louisa's reaction was similar to the one she had when Martin said she wouldn't make him happy after they failed to marry. Louisa seems to think that she has no problems, and that her very existence should make Martin happy It is Martin who ihas problems in their marriage. Louisa needs some self reflection in the next series
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Louisa's reaction was similar to the one she had when Martin said she wouldn't make him happy after they failed to marry. Louisa seems to think that she has no problems, and that her very existence should make Martin happy It is Martin who ihas problems in their marriage. Louisa needs some self reflection in the next series

Well said Bloodphobia! I am tired of how L is forever finding fault with M and never gives him any credit for effort. That is precisely what led to the disastrous dinner party in S6E2! Yes, it is overdue for L to "try a little" as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NP states:
    What I don't understand about that OR speech is, if we aren't expected to think that
    she remembers it, why have him give it at all? Only so we the audience know how he feels?

There have been many instances that we know more than Louisa. I don't see this differently. I think his character was very sincere, in this instance, but Louisa has been kept in the dark about much of what was really happening to him in regards to his blood issue and his issues with Mother. Heck, Martin is in denial about most of it.

She says as he is leaving: Thanks for coming after me. He reminds her that she is his patient and his wife.

This is what leads me to believe that she doesn't remember any of what he said.

Each of them experienced rejection as children (his more pronounced) and each of them seem to minimize their worth (and in this relationship, specifically).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good point, Bloodphobia. Actually, in an odd way, it's kind of a closing of the circle -- Louisa says he wouldn't make her happy, he says she wouldn't make him happy either.
    Then after a lot of angst, they marry, and after a lot more angst, it turns out that he doesn't make her happy and he isn't happy either.
    NP states:
    What I don't understand about that OR speech is, if we aren't expected to think that
    she remembers it, why have him give it at all? Only so we the audience know how he feels?

There have been many instances that we know more than Louisa. I don't see this differently. I think his character was very sincere, in this instance, but Louisa has been kept in the dark about much of what was really happening to him in regards to his blood issue and his issues with Mother. Heck, Martin is in denial about most of it.

She says as he is leaving: Thanks for coming after me. He reminds her that she is his patient and his wife.

This is what leads me to believe that she doesn't remember any of what he said.

Each of them experienced rejection as children (his more pronounced) and each of them seem to minimize their worth (and in this relationship, specifically).

Sarah, I think there's a difference between our knowing about the blood phobia, and Louisa not; and him giving an important, moving speech which we are privy to and she is not. And that is, that one moves the plot along. We know that if she finds out, she's going to be upset, and it will damage their relationship further. And we're pretty sure that she WILL find out, because it's going to be one of the many factors that contribute to and signify their growing distance from each other.

But in this speech, if she doesn't hear it, then what is its relevance to the plot? How does it move things along between them? Louisa will never "find out" about it, because him telling her again, say in a marriage counselor's office, that he wants to be a better husband is not the same thing.

So on the one hand, I think that she must have at least some hazy recollection. But on the other hand, if she does, then what is with the "nothing's changed" attitude in the hospital room? One can interpret it as, " your words don't change anything, b/c we've been there, done that, now I need to see real action" but that has never felt very convincing interpretation to me. The OR speech was a powerful exposition of something she's wanted to hear for many series now: that he knows he has to change and he wants to try. So why then say that nothing's changed?

I can only conclude that those scenes were not meant to "parse" in this way. Taken together, perhaps they are just supposed to leave us with a poignant emotional reaction that ironically, Martin may now be ready to change but perhaps it's already too late. Louisa, in her hospital bed, either couldn't hear him or couldn't believe (in) him. We, the audience, see that Martin IS changing and will try -- the plot suspense, I guess, is whether Louisa will eventually see it. (And change herself too, of course.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why would Louisa be upset with what he said in the OR. I'm confused (and sleepy).

Louisa (and some here that continously say the same things, as in focusing solely on Louisa's failures) says she needed a break. She expressed that neither were making the other happy. Do her words not matter? Did she not have every reason to be unhappy, confused, and a need to get away. All she asked for was a break. She had a young baby, she went back to work, and was in a marriage that was sliding downhill. The school was out for summer break. She had an accident and was physically and emotionally weakened. Sheesh.

She wanted a break because she needed to reflect. She had warmed to him in the 2nd half of S6 - she was upbeat and warm. I watched it because I was ready to wring her **** and then she came around. He didn't and she didn't know why....You all know the rest.

Okay, so I over simplified and I didn't respond directly to your post, NP. But - I'm still confused as to why she will be upset if she finds out what he said????

You ask why the speech in the OR if it has no relevance to the plot and couple's future. I don't know - why did he say what he said at the end of S4. Was that same man that appeared in the first eppy of S5?

The show requires us to make huge leaps - why would I expect them to do anything that makes sense. Or- is consistent with what I saw the prior season. Infact, I watch this show and often wonder... WTH...

~Sorry for my grumpy vent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NP asks why did Martin say what he said - and why did she react (or not).

Because - this is HIS show and we are supposed to feel sorry for him - like all the time. Louisa is rarely given that advance.

That's my story.
    ~grumpy grin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would Louisa be upset with what he said in the OR. I'm confused (and sleepy).

Louisa (and some here that continously say the same things, as in focusing solely on Louisa's failures) says she needed a break. She expressed that neither were making the other happy. Do her words not matter? Did she not have every reason to be unhappy, confused, and a need to get away. All she asked for was a break. She had a young baby, she went back to work, and was in a marriage that was sliding downhill. She had an accident and was physically and emotionally weakened. Sheesh.

She wanted a break because she needed to reflect. She had warmed to him in the 2nd half of S6 - she was upbeat and warm. I watched it because I was ready to wring her **** and then she came around. He didn't and she didn't know why....You all know the rest.

Okay, so I over simplified and I didn't respond directly to your post, NP. But - I'm still confused as to why she will be upset if she finds out what he said????

You ask why the speech in the OR if it has no relevance to the plot and couple's future. I don't know - why did he say what he said at the end of S4. Was that same man that appeared in the first eppy of S5?

The show requires us to make huge leaps - why would I expect them to do anything that makes sense. Or- is consistent with what I saw the prior season. Infact, I watch this show and often wonder... WTH...

~Sorry for my grumpy vent
    Perhaps you are sleepy :) or I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean that Louisa was "upset" -- at all. SOMETHING would happen WHEN she finds out about the blood phobia -- but Martin's speech in the OR doesn't make ANYTHING happen in moving along the plot, because either Louisa doesn't remember it, or it isn't enough to change her position. And if she did hear it, my question was, was has "nothing" changed. Surely his statement that he does now sincerely want to change, is itself a change.

Yes, of course, Louisa had every reason to want a break, because just as you say, her marriage was sliding downhill, things were literally out of control, and she needed to go away so she could either try to regroup or worse case, decide that it was past hope. But more likely, she would have pulled herself together in Spain, decided on what she needed from Martin, and come back to give him that one last chance. Which I think she still will do.

You're right -- he of course goes from emotional breakthrough at end of S4 to essentially, nothing's changed, at the beginning of S5, in about a nanosecond, so why put too much faith in whatever it is that he says in a moment of heightened emotion. Still, I would have expected* a somewhat different response than "nothing has changed" from her -- too tired myself to specify what, but maybe something along the lines of, even if I do go home with you, we still have a lot of work to do, with no guarantees. Maybe that's really what she meant, in the end.

*I mean, in a world that made logical sense, that's what I would have expected. We're agreed that logic is not necessarily the first priority here -- getting an emotional reaction seems to be more important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sarah, I think there's a difference between our knowing about the blood phobia, and Louisa not; and him giving an important, moving speech which we are privy to and she is not. And that is, that one moves the plot along. We know that if she finds out, she's going to be upset, and it will damage their relationship further. And we're pretty sure that she WILL find out, because it's going to be one of the many factors that contribute to and signify their growing distance from each other.

Does she know anything that transpired btw the Mum and Martin. Does she know what Ruth knows - as he confided in her. That was all very important - but Louisa isn't aware of any of it.

What I did stress in my reply was more to your point - the parting words of couple in their final scene. I think that was very telling. and how it may relate to what Louisa knows - doesn't know. What she believes - and what she means to him. She thanked him for coming after her ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Why would she say that. To reinterate my point - she doesn't know her own value to him.

~still grumpy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So sorry, NP. I didn't read through the first paragraph of your reply. I'm sleepy, grumpy, sassy, and now you're going to make me weepy.

Louisa and Martin may part ways....:(

I hate goodbyes.

LOL
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    During the operation, Martin stepped away from the table to vomit. Louisa rolled her eyes and seemed to know that he was vomiting in reaction to his blood phobia or (and I have no idea how the AVM was repaired) the smell of cauterized flesh. In her altered state, Louisa seems to understand that Martin's phobia is not controlled. When she considers what is causing his problems, his mother and related phobia must be likely causes.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During the operation, Martin stepped away from the table to vomit. Louisa rolled her eyes and seemed to know that he was vomiting in reaction to his blood phobia or (and I have no idea how the AVM was repaired) the smell of cauterized flesh. In her altered state, Louisa seems to understand that Martin's phobia is not controlled. When she considers what is causing his problems, his mother and related phobia must be likely causes.

Louisa knew about Martin's "blood thing" coming back early in S6....at the time I recall her saying, "Why didn't you tell me? I'm your wife." I don't think that she was in the dark about that. She also observed how poorly Margaret treated Martin in their home and that led to the awesome interchange at the airport. Unfortunately that's when her AVM started leaking and she had no time to process all the information....and realizing that she took Martin's clock...his escape valve.

Upon further reflection...and with guidance, they will both realize what was happening and Sarah, even though it would be heinous in some viewer's minds, I wouldn't rule out a breakup at the end of S7 although it might mean heightened security at Buffalo Pictures office in London. That would be profoundly sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Louisa knew about Martin's "blood thing" coming back early in S6....at the time I recall her saying, "Why didn't you tell me? I'm your wife." I don't think that she was in the dark about that. She also observed how poorly Margaret treated Martin in their home and that led to the awesome interchange at the airport. Unfortunately that's when her AVM started leaking and she had no time to process all the information....and realizing that she took Martin's clock...his escape valve.

Upon further reflection...and with guidance, they will both realize what was happening and Sarah, even though it would be heinous in some viewer's minds, I wouldn't rule out a breakup at the end of S7 although it might mean heightened security at Buffalo Pictures office in London. That would be profoundly sad.

There I must draw the line, Mofromco. :);-) Why would they lead us down the garden path for 7 series, only to conclude that in the end, it wouldn't work after all, and they must part, both sadder but presumably wiser. Because they can, I suppose. I know Martin Clunes hates cozy and comfortable, but breaking them up permanently seems way too far in the other direction. So I feel pretty sure there will be some kind of permanent-ish seeming reconciliation by the end of S7. And that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara[

What I did stress in my reply was more to your point - the parting words of couple in their final scene. I think that was very telling. and how it may relate to what Louisa knows - doesn't know. What she believes - and what she means to him. She thanked him for coming after her ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Why would she say that. To reinterate my point - she doesn't know her own value to him.

~still grumpy

Interesting Sarah. I had always thought she said this in order to say something nice to soften the impact of what she had just said about "nothing changed." But I think your interpretation makes better sense -- she's saying something like, "thank you for coming after me even though I know we're not on very good terms right now and I'm not sure you really do care for me as much as I once thought." Or something like that. I know there are those that think that part of Louisa's problem is that she interprets his withdrawing from her as his not loving her any more -- as in the little conversation just before his mother knocks at the door: "Is it me?"... and when he denies it "that's not very convincing."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    I'm with most comments I've read about the final scene in S6.
    I have a different take on the scene.
    Whenever My&L got themselves into a pickle and Martin fell out of favour, there was a medical crisis. Martin is the super Doc and Louisa is completely in awe with him again. She gives the man Martin another chance because the doctor swept her off her feet.
    For me, this is the difference. Martin proves himself again as the brilliant doctor he is, but for Louisa it doesn't make up for it anymore for being rubbish in their relationship.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I'm with most comments I've read about the final scene in S6.
    I have a different take on the scene.
    Whenever My&L got themselves into a pickle and Martin fell out of favour, there was a medical crisis. Martin is the super Doc and Louisa is completely in awe with him again. She gives the man Martin another chance because the doctor swept her off her feet.
    For me, this is the difference. Martin proves himself again as the brilliant doctor he is, but for Louisa it doesn't make up for it anymore for being rubbish in their relationship.

I, too, interpret the scene that way. In the past after a crisis both of them tried to forget all the issues between them. In the transitions between S4-S5 and S5-S6 they pretended like nothing had happened before the "rescues". So when she says they can't pretend like their problems never happened, I think she is acknowledging that she has had a part in creating the dynamic between the two of them.

I think she is surprised by his reaction that he "doesn't want that either" because a few days prior he didn't even realize there was a problem between them. She is surprised - in a good way - by his apparent awakening and acceptance that the relationship isn't healthy.

I love the little exchange when the nurse is trying to get Louisa to eat or drink something. When Louisa asks for her husband, the nurse says he's not there but the surgeon would be there in a few minutes. The nurse doesn't realize Louisa is married to the surgeon.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts on the very last scene of S6E8 after DM says "you're my patient, and you're my wife", the camera goes to Louisa and you see her curl and twist her lips, and I am thinking, yes, here you go again, Louisa, you will give him another chance, he has been there for you all along, you could have perished on that plane ride, you are foremost on his mind . . . . . . . . . .
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I have been wondering whether M will ever get his grandfather's clock back. Creepy Mum stole it, presumably with the intention to sell it, as she is now desperate for money. It was one of M's last connections to AJ as well, and seemed to carry a lot of symbolic meaning throughout S6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mofromco says: Upon further reflection...and with guidance, they will both realize what was happening and Sarah, even though it would be heinous in some viewer's minds, I wouldn't rule out a breakup at the end of S7 although it might mean heightened security at Buffalo Pictures office in London. That would be profoundly sad.

Okay, you are joking about the heightened security, right? ;-)

Will the show go beyond S7? Interesting.
    I wouldn't rule out a breakup, either. Actually, I believe that they will be living separately when the story resumes. It makes better storytelling while this couple goes through the therapy process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting Sarah. I had always thought she said this in order to say something nice to soften the impact of what she had just said about "nothing changed." But I think your interpretation makes better sense -- she's saying something like, "thank you for coming after me even though I know we're not on very good terms right now and I'm not sure you really do care for me as much as I once thought." Or something like that. I know there are those that think that part of Louisa's problem is that she interprets his withdrawing from her as his not loving her any more -- as in the little conversation just before his mother knocks at the door: "Is it me?"... and when he denies it "that's not very convincing."

Her "thank-you" was one reason I believed that she did not recall the speech. As far as our earlier posts, if she did, then you're right, her response was significant (nothing has changed) in terms of the future.

Its funny, I have watched the whole of the show in the last 14-16 months. I don't mean to be a PIA - its all still new to me. Thanks for "indulging" me - and a thanks to the rest of the good people here on this forum.

I have finally surrendered and have been watching the musical montages on YT. :p
    There are many good montages but, of course, one of my faves is entitled "Louisa won't say she is in love."
This discussion has been closed.