ED - Robert Sugden, evil monster? (Spoilers)

Comments

• star89star89 Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB well quite lol I'm not sure what your point is. Robert isn't a normal person he is twisted and his moral compass is broken. I don't think many on this thread would claim otherwise. That is what makes him an interesting character. The world isn't black and white and I don't want it being depicted as such in my soaps or any other dramas I watch. He contemplated murder didn't go through with it, will possibly contemplate murder again next week
    and won't go through with it again
    so we know he has that darkness inside him.

My original point was (goes back to check coz she's forgotten :blush:) Robert is not a good person. Which is what someone called him :)
  • WhatYouGonnaDo?WhatYouGonnaDo? Posts: 5,977
    Forum Member
    star89 wrote: »
    My original point was (goes back to check coz she's forgotten :blush:) Robert is not a good person. Which is what someone called him :)

ha! calling him a good person is just ridiculous, even deep down I wouldn't say he is a good person. I mean he might be after a lot of therapy...
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

He's certainly not a good person but I love him :blush:
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB well quite lol I'm not sure what your point is. Robert isn't a normal person he is twisted and his moral compass is broken. I don't think many on this thread would claim otherwise. That is what makes him an interesting character. The world isn't black and white and I don't want it being depicted as such in my soaps or any other dramas I watch. He contemplated murder didn't go through with it, will possibly contemplate murder again next week
    and won't go through with it again
    so we know he has that darkness inside him.
    Has this been revealed?
    I'm aware that
    Paddy doesn't die - but not aware of the circumstances to that. Has it been revealed that Robert is the one who saves him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has this been revealed?
    I'm aware that
    Paddy doesn't die - but not aware of the circumstances to that. Has it been revealed that Robert is the one who saves him?

No - it's all still embargoed, I believe.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope Robert doesn't have a shelf life. He seems more complex than most bad boys so I hope he'll be like Cain and will be able to have longevity.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have any blinkers lmao I know he is a *beep* as for "tries to bury Paddy alive in the grain" well we don't know that he does do we? we know he switches the grain on and then hangs around while Paddy struggles to get out. We don't know if his intention is to kill Paddy or if it is to give him a fright and he intends to switch it off before anything happens. That is what we need to wait and find out. My feeling just from what Paddy has said in interviews is that it is the later
    that Paddy doesn't die supports this
    but if it turns out to be the former then I guess we know that Robert is willing to cross that line and is evil monster as the OP asked. We will see.

To be quite honest with you I don't see much of a difference. The fact that he presses the button to turn the grain on after Paddy falls and hurts himself tells me all I need to know about Robert when also taking into account his previous murder attempts with other people.

The character, for me, is irredeemable.
  • Crooked HeartCrooked Heart Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does Robert get so much stick for his behaviour and not Ross?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because Ross is down right gorgeous ;-):p
  • abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    Just because we don't see any farm animals doesn't mean there aren't any. I don't know the cost of them being in the programme, there might be all sorts of rules and regulations, who knows.. Also vets don't just treat farm animals.

Who are the murderers?

I quite often see more than 2 people drinking in the pub and I've never seen more than 2 people serving at any one time.

The salon has 2 staff and it does have customers - I've seen several.

These are just a few responses to what you wrote. You might want to watch the programme closely and then re-post what you've just said with the correct numbers.

I was being sarcastic.

But from the point of view of the salon, there is no way anybody would use a venue that is meant to be miles away in the dales, especially ran by a pair of idiots.

I do watch closely. I have watched it since 1979 and have seen a vast deterioration in quality and acting in the soap - more especially in recent years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The next Ross lets someone die come back to me :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably because Ross hasn't attempted to kill people on multiple occasions.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, has anyone considered Robert's treatment towards Chrissie at all? Even disregarding all the other evil things he's done (yes, they are evil things and there's no justification), what he's done to Chrissie is disgusting enough to condemn him anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross is every bit as horrible but he's a new and fairly insignificant character. He doesn't have Robert's long history of death and destruction yet - that we know of, although there was the guy he beat up in the robbery, I'm not certain but I think he died eventually. I can remember Donna visiting the hospital.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »

Yes. These are answers are better than mine :blush:
  • Dress to KillDress to Kill Posts: 6,209
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Erm, has anyone considered Robert's treatment towards Chrissie at all? Even disregarding all the other evil things he's done (yes, they are evil things and there's no justification), what he's done to Chrissie is disgusting enough to condemn him anyway.

Honestly, no one seems to care about Chrissie's part in the affair :p Like seriously, no one is rooting for their marriage (though no one would for the way Robert's treated her anyway). The whole affair storyline has failed to show Chrissie as someone we should sympathize with, Aaron's been the vulnerable party throughout it all (mostly because of the shows determination to have him as the tortured character forever).

I mean, she's thrown him out/threatened to throw him out multiple times, she doesn't need Robert so no one is feeling sorry for her in that regard.

You only have to look at press surrounding it - they're not asking "Should Robert be with Aaron or Chrissie" they just as "Should Aaron and Robert be together". Chrissie's the third party and she has been throughout.

Plus everyone knows it's not like she's gonna lose anything when her and Rob split up, she'll end up having everything and he'll have nothing.

Yet recent spoilers confirm he beats someone with a baseball bat, sure, he's not attempting to kill the guy but still.
  • Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Kate Oates sees Robert as a short term character, but as far as I am concerned if Cain can stick around after all he done so can Robert who I enjoy as a character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Ross is down right gorgeous ;-):p

Ross doesn't give a toss about Pete though. When he was mourning Donna(he had a tearful conversation with Aaron at one point) he slept with Charity. He's constantly breaking the law and always gets away with it. He's treated like a 'lovable rogue' and I don't really get why:blush: Maybe it's the funny voices:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »
    I think that Kate Oates sees Robert as a short term character, but as far as I am concerned if Cain can stick around after all he done so can Robert who I enjoy as a character.

BIB: Oh dear:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ross doesn't give a toss about Pete though. When he was mourning Donna(he had a tearful conversation with Aaron at one point) he slept with Charity. He's constantly breaking the law and always gets away with it. He's treated like a 'lovable rogue' and I don't really get why:blush: Maybe it's the funny voices:)

I don't think he is treated like a loveable rogue. I think people like him and Robert although they are both immoral at times. I don't think they're evil at all though. Ross is hot tempered but rob is like an evil genius type.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he is treated like a loveable rogue. I think people like him and Robert although they are both immoral at times. I don't think they're evil at all though. Ross is hot tempered but rob is like an evil genius type.

Without the genius. Not one of his plans has gone his way.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Without the genius. Not one of his plans has gone his way.:D

Yes that is true :D
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha - good question :)

I think a lot of it is the way they're portrayed / presented to us on screen.

Ross is very much a what-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of character.
    He is presented as a "rogue" & does fairly bad stuff - but then they temper that with cute scenes with April or have him grieving massively for Donna. He's been shown to be highly protective of Finn - most of the characters he does bad things to are either soap "extras" or characters who aren't shown in the best light themselves (Laurel, Lawrence).

Robert is presented as sly & manipulative and does bad things to the characters he's supposed to care about the most (Andy, Chrissie, Aaron) - and his motivations are primarily seen to be self-serving.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha - good question :)

I think a lot of it is the way they're portrayed / presented to us on screen.

Ross is very much a what-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of character.
    He is presented as a "rogue" & does fairly bad stuff - but then they temper that with cute scenes with April or have him grieving massively for Donna. He's been shown to be highly protective of Finn - most of the characters he does bad things to are either soap "extras" or characters who aren't shown in the best light themselves (Laurel, Lawrence).

Robert is presented as sly & manipulative and does bad things to the characters he's supposed to care about the most (Andy, Chrissie, Aaron) - and his motivations are primarily seen to be self-serving.

BIB: Pete isn't one of those though, he's a decent bloke and Ross' brother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    BIB: Pete isn't one of those though, he's a decent bloke and Ross' brother.

Ross stealing his brothers missus (who lets be fair isn't exactly putting up a fight) is hardly the same as all the things that Robert has done. Soon as he starts threatening to murder those who try to out his affair, then, I'll judge him how I judge Robert lol