A Place to call Home BBC2 3pm Weekdays

StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
An absolute Gem of a programme

Made, and based in Australia.

A woman is perched between the harsh legacy of the Second World War and the hope of a new life in her native Australia.

In the first episode, Sarah Adams learns some tragic news, which leads her to decide to return to her home.

Romantic drama set during the 1950s, starring Marta Dusseldorp.

Weekdays on BBC2, 3:00pm this week, 3:10pm next week

Marta Dusseldorp is brilliant in the leading role.

Well worth watching, on iPlayer if you miss any Episodes.

Thoroughly recommended.

Comments

• StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching ?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »
    Anyone watching ?

I saw it at Australian pace. Am recording it on BBC2 because it is in HD.

Just a bit worried they may have to censor it a little due to the day time showing.

It is a very good series and I'm so pleased to hear it has been renewed.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching it and loving it, please may we have more Australian series BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    greengran wrote: »
    I'm watching it and loving it, please may we have more Australian series BBC.

Janet King is another one they should get.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I watched a trailer of this on Youtube and ordered the DVDs for Series 1 and 2 from Australia and just fell in love with it. It's a lush, lavish and gripping romantic drama with some wonderful writing and acting. Marta Dusseldorp, who plays Sarah, is completely mesmerizing in it.

It's great that it's on BBC 2, but I do think that it's rather wasted being on during the day without an evening repeat. I guess because of the popularity of Neighbours and Home and Away, channel controllers are scared that people regard Australian drama as being lightweight, which is not the case and maybe that's why- with the exception of the Aussie soaps and Wentworth - not many Aussie shows get to the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched a trailer of this on Youtube and ordered the DVDs for Series 1 and 2 from Australia and just fell in love with it. It's a lush, lavish and gripping romantic drama with some wonderful writing and acting. Marta Dusseldorp, who plays Sarah, is completely mesmerizing in it.

It's great that it's on BBC 2, but I do think that it's rather wasted being on during the day without an evening repeat. I guess because of the popularity of Neighbours and Home and Away, channel controllers are scared that people regard Australian drama as being lightweight, which is not the case and maybe that's why- with the exception of the Aussie soaps and Wentworth - not many Aussie shows get to the UK.

Perhaps it may get a weekly evening repeat if they have the rights.

Sometimes they do show the UK daily shows they make like 'The Indian Doctor' and 'Moving On' in the evening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there was a cut today. The bit where they find the Doctor's friend dead seems a bit abrupt. Will have to check out my Australian pace video.

The show isn't too adult, but I think there are a couple of scenes that might not make the daytime cut.
  • nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching ?

Yup! I think it's great. Have recorded it when I'm not around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just discovered that creator Bevan Lee also created the TV dramas, Winners & Losers, All Saints, Packed to the Rafters, before A Place to Call Home.

In June 2013, Erin McWhirter from TV Week announced that A Place to Call Home had been renewed for another season.

Abby Earl told McWhirter, "We're locked in pre-production in August and then we start filming in September, so there's plenty of time for me to get back in Anna's shoes."

The second season started on 11 May 2014 and concluded on 13 July 2014.

TV Week confirmed that a third season had been commissioned.
    However, one month later, the magazine reported that Channel Seven had passed on the option to renew the series and had recently told the cast and crew they wouldn't be required for a third season.
    On 15 October 2014, it was announced that Foxtel had finalised a deal with Channel Seven that would see a third series written by Bevan Lee, produced by Seven Productions, but aired on Foxtel.

On 25 October 2014, The Daily Telegraph announced that A Place to Call Home was renewed for another two seasons and would return in late 2015, airing on Foxtel channel, SoHo.

It was also announced that all the original cast & crew members would return.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked Winners & Losers but itv2 messed around with it in the schedules.

Now I notice that episode 10 of 13 of A Place to Call Home airs on Friday then nothing next week due to the snooker. Any idea when/if the final 3 episodes will be broadcast?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »

Now I notice that episode 10 of 13 of A Place to Call Home airs on Friday then nothing next week due to the snooker. Any idea when/if the final 3 episodes will be broadcast?

Probably after the snooker has finished.

It's good for me as I'm having scaffolding put up and it will block my sat signal and I'm recording it in HD.

So that will mean I will only miss one episode (Friday).

I've seen them all before but it will be good to have them in HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Monday 8th December 15:10.

Then presumably Tuesday & Wednesday, EPG stops at Monday 8th
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you! Hopefully ill remember where the story got up to after a weeks break :)
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how the show is rating? I'm surprised the BBC didn't screen this on a Sunday as I think it would rather better in that slot, but sadly UK channel controllers seem to think that Australian dramas are daytime fodder.

I liked the first two series of Winners and Losers, but by the third season the show became ridiculous and soapy with long lost relatives, shootings and several jump the shark moments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you! Hopefully ill remember where the story got up to after a weeks break :)

EPG confirms Tuesday & Wednesday, 15:10.

Monday 8th episode...
    Elizabeth returns from hospital ...............

Tuesday 9th...
    George is delighted when Sarah............

Wednesday 10th...
    Anna is relieved when Gino........
  • blueabublueabu Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, but why bury it on BBC 2 in the week. Surely a sunday nighter? And also love Dr Blake mysteries too!
  • Alan51Alan51 Posts: 3,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree, who ever decided to bury this in the schedules wants sacking
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thu, Dec 11 · 15:10-15:55 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    1/10 - 2, No Secrets Ever

Yes...... Series Two follows on.
    An elderly Sarah reveals......

Meanwhile in 1953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The transmission times are actually quite well thought out.

This is the afternoon slot that Channel 5 has been using for many years for its' daily dose of Afternoon Matinées, for the ladies.

I do however think that it deserves a Sunday Afternoon slot for repeats, perhaps as double episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Current Series TWO ends on the 23rd December

EPG for Monday 22nd

Mon, Dec 22 · 15:25-16:10 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    9/10 - 2, I Do, I Do
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thu, Dec 11 · 15:10-15:55 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    1/10 - 2, No Secrets Ever

Yes...... Series Two follows on.
    An elderly Sarah reveals......

Meanwhile in 1953

Blimey. Thanks for that. Am really enjoying it. Must set to record from Thurs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 22nd December, double episodes, changed transmission times...

Mon, Dec 22 · 14:40-15:25 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    8/10 - 2, Answer Me, My Love

A Place to Call Home
    9/10 - 2, I Do, I Do

Tue, Dec 23 · 15:35-16:15 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    10/10 - 2, End of Series Two
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Monday 22nd December, double episodes, changed transmission times...

Mon, Dec 22 · 14:40-15:25 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    8/10 - 2, Answer Me, My Love

A Place to Call Home
    9/10 - 2, I Do, I Do

Tue, Dec 23 · 15:35-16:15 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    10/10 - 2, End of Series Two

Although I saw it at Australian Pace, it is a nice treat for those who haven't seen it yet to see the whole show so far in such a short time.

At least I get to see it in HD without break bumpers.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am now fully up to date with series 1. I had recorded them and had to watch about 4 of them last night so I was all ready for series 2 today. I am absolutely loving this. The costumes, the scenery, the family problems, the music, the twists and turns .... Just everything.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, by chance discovered this great programme on day 13/13......... I couldn't believe how I had not been aware of it before the end!.................... So after a little investigation I saw that it was due to go on again starting 1/10. As it was a bbc programme I headed for the iplayer and WONDERFULLY all the episodes where there to watch!....

As it was a day off work and I live alone ...(so no one to worry about!,)... I started watching it back to back lol.............. I sat from about 4pm to about midnight watching one after the other!... and I so enjoyed it!............... I couldn't believe my luck that it was all there still there.......................