Windows phone users... should i switch?

dalehitchydalehitchy Posts: 8,873
Forum Member
Been on android for a while but I like the look of the Nokia 930. The camera interests me, the OS looks nice, fluid and stable. That said.. I liked the customisation of android and the the amount of available apps on the store.

Can anyone give advice who have used both. And are the basic app there on the windows phone?

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can browse available apps here

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store

You can costomise background image, ringtones and notification sounds, per contact, too. I do not know how it compares to Android and how far you want to go with customisations.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,641
    Forum Member
    I find WP far more user friendly but the app store is nowhere near as comprehensive as Android, in fact its a bit c**p
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a windows phone from work. It's the basic lumnia 630 i Think. user interface is quite good although it can be slow in parts but I think that's more to do with the low spec phone.
    The biggest downer is the very few apps. I guess it doesn't matter too much if you don't use too many apps like me but I don't think windows phone even gas a native YouTube app for example . There is one in the app store but it just loads the Web page lol
  • magicdesignmagicdesign Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Wp is a good platform but the Nokia phones had a lot of hardware issues.. (touch screen issues for example)

The actual apps available and cortana (virtual assistant) are quite good.
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I have a windows phone from work. It's the basic lumnia 630 i Think. user interface is quite good although it can be slow in parts but I think that's more to do with the low spec phone.
    The biggest downer is the very few apps. I guess it doesn't matter too much if you don't use too many apps like me but I don't think windows phone even gas a native YouTube app for example . There is one in the app store but it just loads the Web page lol

Metrotube is an excellent YouTube app for wp
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cool. I'll look out for it. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Cool. I'll look out for it. Thanks.

Let me know if there are any other apps you need. I have spent a lot of time searching for alternatives 😊
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    Still very happy with my 820. To cover the app gap I also have a cheap small Android tablet mainly for access to downloadable iPlayer programmes and to BT Sport.
  • dalehitchydalehitchy Posts: 8,873
    Forum Member
    hmmm still not sure if to make the switch. ill take a look at the app store. i dont even use apps that much but every so often its nice to download an app tht you hear about. with windows its something id be concerned about,
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dalehitchy wrote: »
    Been on android for a while but I like the look of the Nokia 930. The camera interests me, the OS looks nice, fluid and stable. That said.. I liked the customisation of android and the the amount of available apps on the store.

Can anyone give advice who have used both. And are the basic app there on the windows phone?

Are you looking to buy the 930 or sign up for a contract? If you are buying then I would say go for it, you can always sell it on again and lose very little. However if you are considering a contract then I would advise getting a cheap 630/535/640 first. This will enable you to live with the OS and again you can sell it on for minimal loss. WP is a nice OS. I am a bit gutted as my 830 has developed a fault that will require it to be sent off for repair so I am missing my daily fix. It is a “simple” OS. This isn’t necessarily a good thing though and I do actually prefer the complexity of Android which is why I also have a LG G2.

The stand out feature for WP is the camera and the new features introduced by the Denim update and the 930 has a great example. The ability to play about with HDR and flash levels after taking a shot is pretty cool.
    Forum Member
    The fact that it is Microsoft helps if you use business apps and office apps.

From what I can see, when a new app comes out for ios and Android, we usually has a version too. Only blackberry misses out...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me know if there are any other apps you need. I have spent a lot of time searching for alternatives 😊

Is there an app which let's you view YouTube videos offline ?

Edit Metro tube costs money. Crap. I'll stuck to my note 4 default YouTube I think
    Forum Member
    There is a free version of metro tube, but I would always recommend supporting the developer.

To download, alltube player pro gets good reviews. Ugly user interface though.

Another nice standard YouTube player is mytube.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's also myTube. I don't use it much though so I do not know how good it actually is. It does play the videos :)
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    TouchTube facilitates downloading of videos......

OP:- I would recommend a Windows phone over both android and IOS at the moment. I've not missed any apps since switching. There are a lot less junk apps on my phone now. The phone itself is smoother than any others I've owned.
    Forum Member
    I would be using a 1520 as my primary device but live in a rural setting and it keeps locking onto a stronger 2g signal rather than 3g. No good for internet.

My android and blackberry devices all allow me to specify 3g only....
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure, go ahead and switch if you want a shit-tier app store. There isn't even an official BBC News app. Don't get me wrong, the Windows phone OS is actually decent, but with a market share below 3% and falling is Windows phone worth buying into? IMO it's not if apps are important to you.
  • AJ2001AJ2001 Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chaff wrote: »
    Sure, go ahead and switch if you want a shit-tier app store. There isn't even an official BBC News app. Don't get me wrong, the Windows phone OS is actually decent, but with a market share below 3% and falling is Windows phone worth buying into? IMO it's not if apps are important to you.

According to the link below, yes its down, but actually 8.5% in the UK, 3.3 million users . I've migrated from iOS 2 years ago, now going on my second windows phone after upgrading and never looked back. Yes, the app store might not be up there with Apple and Android universes, but it has the ones I need, including MSN news/sports/finance/weather, cnn, sky news, sky sport... Would be good to have bbc, but there are other(and better) news apps out there.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Phone-Captures-8-5-Percent-of-UK-Market-Has-3-3-Million-Users-474238.shtml

Another youtube app you guys might want to consider is Tubecast (free) or Tubecast Pro (paid). Both allow to watch videos offline.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    AJ2001 wrote: »
    According to the link below, yes its down, but actually 8.5% in the UK, 3.3 million users . I've migrated from iOS 2 years ago, now going on my second windows phone after upgrading and never looked back. Yes, the app store might not be up there with Apple and Android universes, but it has the ones I need, including MSN news/sports/finance/weather, cnn, sky news, sky sport... Would be good to have bbc, but there are other(and better) news apps out there.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Phone-Captures-8-5-Percent-of-UK-Market-Has-3-3-Million-Users-474238.shtml

Another youtube app you guys might want to consider is Tubecast (free) or Tubecast Pro (paid). Both allow to watch videos offline.

What do you do if your bank can't be bothered with a WP app? Or an alternative to SkyGo or Virgin TV Anywhere?

There are still too many big omissions in the WP Store...
  • AJ2001AJ2001 Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    What do you do if your bank can't be bothered with a WP app? Or an alternative to SkyGo or Virgin TV Anywhere?

My bank has a windows, app (First Direct) and I believe it is not the only one.
    I also own an Ipad 2, have Skygo installed, mainly thinking on the on demand service and I m going to be 100% honest with you, since sky massively improved the on demand service in their sky hd boxes, i never had need to use it.Of course, people have dif needs...
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »

One of the reasons the Amazon Fire phone "failed" was the lack of apps that people expect on a phone. Many people are happy to be restricted on a tablet, so the Amazon Fire tablets are very successful. (also bigger screen means normal websites for many purposes are still fine).
    Forum Member
    Off topic, but the amazon fire phone ran android apps right?
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    Off topic, but the amazon fire phone ran android apps right?

Doesn't have Play Store, or GooglePlayServices so many sideloaded apps fail to run as they use the GooglePlayServices API (e.g. maps for location etc). This API is closed source and how Google retain control over the generic "open" android, AOSP.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    The Amazon Fire Phone was the worst phone I have seen from a big company in the last five years. What were they thinking with that POS.
  • GreenLanternGreenLantern Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I mean

Love WP

But 930 is going to be replaced soon, and is by all relative terms quite an old phone.

I'd probably wait for the replacement, maybe try out a WinPhone first though as they're not for everyone.

Also read some articles about Windows Phone 10, which the replacement will be running.