Man United Supporters Thread (Part 29)

Comments

• BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big game again tonight for our Danny Welbeck. Having to play with Andy Carroll too, which is an interesting combination. There's something in Danny Welbeck everyone else sees but....I can't. Is it a personal failing on my behalf or is everyone else wrong? I suspect the latter. To be honest, I'm convinced, but I hope he does well.

Parker was quite poor last week vs France and he'll need to have a better game tonight.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else looking forward to when the fixtures are releashed?
    It is always a good time, as you work out where you could go on a decent run, what the first and last games are like, and when the derbies are! :D

Not long now! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Big game again tonight for our Danny Welbeck. Having to play with Andy Carroll too, which is an interesting combination. There's something in Danny Welbeck everyone else sees but....I can't. Is it a personal failing on my behalf or is everyone else wrong? I suspect the latter. To be honest, I'm convinced, but I hope he does well.

Parker was quite poor last week vs France and he'll need to have a better game tonight.

Danny is very good and is maturing into a very good striker, if he could up his percentage of goal to shots, which is the final piece of the jigsaw, then we will have a beast of a player on our hands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yesh Mishter Bond!

Or...no. Not really. It's only a vague guide as to when the fixtures might be. With cup runs, weather, TV and the rest of it, they actual fixture list looks a bit different after the season has finished.

We'll be away again on final game. Always are.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely has to be Man Utd vs Man City at OT on the last day of the season...

why they don't try and pre-empt the title deciders is beyond me... I'm sure they have their reasons... I guess it's all about maximising advertising and it makes more sense to spread out the big events than have them on the same day.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Kierenj wrote: »
    Surely has to be Man Utd vs Man City at OT on the last day of the season...

why they don't try and pre-empt the title deciders is beyond me... I'm sure they have their reasons... I guess it's all about maximising advertising and it makes more sense to spread out the big events than have them on the same day.

Risky leaving it until the last day. If the title has been decided by then a big money grabbing game losing some of it's pull. Having it 2 or 3 games before the end does make more sense from a TV ratings point of view.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

No, I'm not convinced by Welbeck at all either. He is a good player and he will score some goals (in many ways he is better than i expected at this stage) but is he good enough to be up front for club and country yet? Not for me. People want him to do well because he is the local boy through the youth ranks and he may well go on to cement a place in the side but right not I'm not so sure.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    It is always a good time, as you work out where you could go on a decent run, what the first and last games are like, and when the derbies are! :D

I remember being shocked last year when they came out cos they already had the derby on the Monday. I just want the first couple of months to see which are home games. I can't plan any weekends away yet cos M moans that he has to give his ticket to someone if we're away for home games.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that we're away the first game - I've already buggered up and booked a weekend in Hamburg :eek:
    Forum Member
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    Risky leaving it until the last day. If the title has been decided by then a big money grabbing game losing some of it's pull. Having it 2 or 3 games before the end does make more sense from a TV ratings point of view.

And the policing would have to be huge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I remember being shocked last year when they came out cos they already had the derby on the Monday. I just want the first couple of months to see which are home games. I can't plan any weekends away yet cos M moans that he has to give his ticket to someone if we're away for home games.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that we're away the first game - I've already buggered up and booked a weekend in Hamburg :eek:

I will have them crossed for you don't worry! :D

Enjoy your time in Hamburg, I haven't been there before, but I have been to other places in Germany before, and they were good fun!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    No, I'm not convinced by Welbeck at all either. He is a good player and he will score some goals (in many ways he is better than i expected at this stage) but is he good enough to be up front for club and country yet? Not for me. People want him to do well because he is the local boy through the youth ranks and he may well go on to cement a place in the side but right not I'm not so sure.

I'd say it's next to impossible for the player to grow as a striker at a club at United. With a defender or a midfielder, errors can be covered up and atoned for. When a young striker goes off the boil, we're not in a position to wait around for him to get back on it again. If next season he isn't as prolific as the last, I'd consider loaning him out.
    Forum Member
    I will have them crossed for you don't worry! :D

Enjoy your time in Hamburg, I haven't been there before, but I have been to other places in Germany before, and they were good fun!

I've only been to Munich - we went for the anniversary a couple of years ago. I liked it but the weather was freezing being February so I'm hoping I can enjoy a few steins outdoors this time.
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am not impressed by Welbeck at all. It is something I cannot put my finger on, but he just does not look like the real article.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tombstone wrote: »
    I am not impressed by Welbeck at all. It is something I cannot put my finger on, but he just does not look like the real article at all.

For me it's his lack of ball control and poor distribution. People say that his best role is as someone who links up play with the midfield but I've never seem him to this effectively. Yes he'll come deep to get the ball but his awareness of what to do with it beyond that point is very poor.

He was very fortunate to get the number of games for us last year as he did. The manager unwisely went into the season with three strikers of favour and once Hernandez got injuries and went off form, there was little alternative. Next year he won't start 1/4 of the games he has last season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's his lack of ball control and poor distribution. People say that his best role is as someone who links up play with the midfield but I've never seem him to this effectively. Yes he'll come deep to get the ball but his awareness of what to do with it beyond that point is very poor.

To be fair, Wayne's control and distribution was diabolical at times last season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, Wayne's control and distribution was diabolical at times last season.

I thought he had a good season myself. although of course in patches his form was off.

My worry for Rooney both at club level and international is that he becomes 'our Steven Gerrard' a player we run into the ground simply by over-reliance on him. Never giving him sufficient recovery time with injury etc. I think to be honest there's a danger that is already happening.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

He was very fortunate to get the number of games for us last year as he did. The manager unwisely went into the season with three strikers of favour and once Hernandez got injuries and went off form, there was little alternative. Next year he won't start 1/4 of the games he has last season.

I just don't think we go into games with defences fearing us with Welbeck up front - even compared to Hernandez far less a new signing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he had a good season myself. although of course in patches his form was off.

My worry for Rooney both at club level and international is that he becomes 'our Steven Gerrard' a player we run into the ground simply by over-reliance on him. Never giving him sufficient recovery time with injury etc. I think to be honest there's a danger that is already happening.

I agree. His natural love of playing football will stop him complaining too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't think we go into games with defences fearing us with Welbeck up front - even compared to Hernandez far less a new signing.

Again I agree. Henandez had a poor second season, but centre halves will still fear his pace. Terry must have nightmares about him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're right. The thing I believe Hernandez adds is he's a distraction to the defenders. We could essentially make do, effectively, with nine outfield players if we employed Hernandez simply to make runs. He doesn't even have to touch the ball. His presence in the team makes room for others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again I agree. Henandez had a poor second season, but centre halves will still fear his pace. Terry must have nightmares about him.

There were times last season when I thought games were screaming for Hernandez. Especially against slower defences, particularly in the second half of games.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I've only been to Munich - we went for the anniversary a couple of years ago. I liked it but the weather was freezing being February so I'm hoping I can enjoy a few steins outdoors this time.

Hamburg is class... great drinking and a good city aside from that. Some of the boozers have urinals at chest level with a 6inch diameter drain and handles either side for vomiting... class.

Although there is a street on the Reiperbahn that you won't be allowed down... it has wooden boards at either end... you're not missing out!
    Forum Member
    Kierenj wrote: »
    Hamburg is class... great drinking and a good city aside from that. Some of the boozers have urinals at chest level with a 6inch diameter drain and handles either side for vomiting... class.

Although there is a street on the Reiperbahn that you won't be allowed down... it has wooden boards at either end... you're not missing out!

Oooh thanks for that. I shall report back if I have vomit buckets in the ladies :D

I've just been looking at bars actually. What are the beer prices like? I know that most major cities are a bit dearer than your average but we're not talking mega bucks are we?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All my friends tell me Berlin is filthy. I so wanna go.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone else looking forward to when the fixtures are releashed? It is always a good time, as you work out where you could go on a decent run, what the first and last games are like, and when the derbies are! :D

Is that you Stevie Mac?;)
This discussion has been closed.