Options

Watching the press conference...Cher's questions...

KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
Forum Member
✭✭
Did anyone else find that hard to watch? A 17 year old being told there's a hate campaign about them must be awful.....

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extremely awkward! Whoever asked that question should be ashamed and get their facts straight too. Because the media keep talking about a hate campaign which is not true. Sure hate Cher trended but that barely is a campaign. I hate that the media only mentioned the negative side and forgot to mention that #lovecher trended too and it was higher!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    What do you expect? It's pointless tabloids. They just want something they can twist to fit their own agenda. They'll make it out as if Cher buckled under the pressure of the question or something; most people won't have seen this press conference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are hate campaigns on facebook. It's not invented. There full of nasty comments and even death threats. and it's not all kids, a lot of them are adults. pathetic sad individuals the lot of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very pathetic. I don't like the girl and I think she is talentless but hiding behind a keyboard and spouting bile against anyone is quite sad and says way more about the person doing it.

On the other hand, I hope its not a ploy to go for the sympathy vote. Because that would be equally pathetic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. She's only 17, yet a "hate campaign" started against her when she's done nothing wrong really? It's ridiculous. She's vulnerable, and you could tell she was nervous about the question. I'm no fan of Cher, but asking that question was out of line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad Cheryl stepped in and answered for her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxrory wrote: »
    I agree. She's only 17, yet a "hate campaign" started against her when she's done nothing wrong really? It's ridiculous. She's vulnerable, and you could tell she was nervous about the question. I'm no fan of Cher, but asking that question was out of line.

To be fair, if she does make it in the music business, she will be asked a lot of difficult and embarrassing questions.

This is why I still question Cheryl's decision to put her through. Nobody will ever convince me the girl was ready for any of this tbh.
  • Options
    AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of Cher's music, but I think she gave good answers to those questions, considering how ridiculous the hate campaign has become.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MsPublic wrote: »
    To be fair, if she does make it in the music business, she will be asked a lot of difficult and embarrassing questions.

This is why I still question Cheryl's decision to put her through. Nobody will ever convince me the girl was ready for any of this tbh.
    I agree with you there. She seems like a very fragile girl.

Although, I'm sure Cher is aware of the negative press towards her...but the press conference for the final was not the place to question her about it, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She entered the competition with a dream, I doubt even her expected the level of backlash she has got. I genuinely feel sorry for her...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    actually watching this, I couldn't tell Cheryl & Cher apart
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    She entered the competition with a dream, I doubt even her expected the level of backlash she has got. I genuinely feel sorry for her...
    I know. And the hate is undeserved. She didn't do anything to warrant that hate, it's all because she's a gypsy and therefore a "chav."

I mean, it honestly can't be about the singing, since 1D don't have any where near the amount of hate Cher does.
    tinkie wrote: »

Irrelevant comment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Andy90 wrote: »
    I know. And the hate is undeserved. She didn't do anything to warrant that hate, it's all because she's a gypsy and therefore a "chav."

I mean, it honestly can't be about the singing, since 1D don't have any where near the amount of hate Cher does.

It has nothing to do with her being a GYPSY!
    Many people dislike her not just because they feel she has had a lot of help from the judges to get this far but because they believe she had no business in the finals in the first place.

Cher and Katie were disliked by the public who like to see fair play when they were sent through to the finals at the expense of other girls who also had hopes and dreams,
    These other girls gave polished performances at the judges house
    Katie had 2 chances Cher never even put in a credible performance. Katie compared to Cher was emotionally better prepared to deal with the fallout the controversial decision by Biffa to put them through and whilst she was still in took all the flak from the disgruntled public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »

Really?

It's not difficult...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many people dislike her not just because they feel she has had a lot of help from the judges to get this far but because they believe she had no business in the finals in the first place.

Cher and Katie were disliked by the public who like to see fair play when they were sent through to the finals at the expense of other girls who also had hopes and dreams,
    Katie had 2 chances Cher never even put in a credible performance. Katie compared to Cher was emotionally better prepared to deal with the fallout the controversial decision by Biffa to put them through and whilst she was still in took all the flak from the disgruntled public.
    LOL. First calm down and breath. :D
    Second, you can't pick and choose parts of a SENTENCE to address. Read the full sentence, "and therefore a chav." I've been lurking here in DS long before I joined, and I've been following Cher since the start. The hate campaigns started before she got to judges houses. There were threads on this forum, tabloid articles, tweets, youtube videos, etc., etc., about how Cher has gypsy roots, and how gypsy are lazy/scum, chavs, etc., etc., That's where most of the hate started. Then it grew even bigger after judges houses, and has been growing ever since for different reasons.

Thirdly,at judges houses, only Rebecca gave a standout performance. All the rest were average singers at best (Trey didn't show off her voice till week one.) Besides, how does one performance at judges house make you worthy of a spot in the live shows. As seen with the top 36 format on American Idol, one performance can be a horrible indicator for how well a contestant will do on the live shows. Cheryl did the right thing in basing her decision on all the performances each act had done. Cher's audition was by far the best performance done by anyone in that group of girls.

And lastly, Cher more than proved she deserved her spot during the live shows. Stay, a song that was over 16 years old, re-entered the charts at number 12 after she preformed it. No other contestant has even come close to doing that.
  • Options
    jag02010jag02010 Posts: 7,347
    Forum Member
    Seeing Cher's face when they asked those questions was heartbreaking, if I am being honest.

I, to an extent, understand some of the hate for her, and while I have personally found her to be an enjoyable contestant, I understand there have been better singers this year, and there is room to question why she is still here.

That being said, it was exceptionally crass of that reporter to blatantly say there was a hate campaign against her (whether that was taken out of context or not), and I feel for Cher. I am very impressed with how professionally both her and Cheryl handled the question.

As for Cher's defeatist attitude, I feel the media may be having much more of an effect on her than anyone at the conference is willing to admit. Does that make her emotionally unstable? Maybe. Is this scrutiny justified? Not at all. What sixteen year old do you know that could handle the overwhelming amount of press which Cher has received? I live in America, and have followed The X Factor since Leona was on - I don't know of anyone who has received this much negative press on either American Idol or The X Factor. As Simon put it, she is a brat. If that and her heritage are her worst qualities, though, there are far worse people in the world who should be put under mass media scrutiny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jag02010 wrote: »
    I, to an extent, understand some of the hate for her, and while I have personally found her to be an enjoyable contestant, I understand there have been better singers this year, and there is room to question why she is still here.
    I understand completely where you are coming from with your post, but this one part I quoted bugged me. If there is room to question why she is still there b/c there have been better singers this year, then why is no one questioning No Direction's place in the finals? All of them are worse technical singers than Cher.
  • Options
    jag02010jag02010 Posts: 7,347
    Forum Member
    Andy90 wrote: »
    I understand completely where you are coming from with your post, but this one part I quoted bugged me. If there is room to question why she is still there b/c there have been better singers this year, then why is no one questioning No Direction's place in the finals? All of them are worse technical singers than Cher.

I completely agree with what you are saying. The intention of that part of my post was to say that there have been better vocalists that have left before the top 4, and therefore the arguments by some in the press that Cher isn't as strong who have come before her might be somewhat reasonable. I would actually have to agree with you, Cher is the best technical singer and the one who should have the broadest appeal on the show based on her style of singing.

As for the One Direction part of the question, I am very anti-conspiracy theories, so I will refrain from trying to detract from the fact that they made it to the finals by throwing out my ideas as to why they are here. One thing is clear though: they have a loyal fan base. That is most of the reason they are in the final, I would have to assume. As to why there has been a lack of bad media for them, it seems that most of the media has been focused around contestants who allegedly do horrendous things or mentors who make poor judgments in who to bring to the lives. One Direction seem to be a group of benign boys, so I feel that's why they have avoided media scrutiny.

Sorry if there were any misinterpretations of my first post - I am not trying to detract from Cher's place in the final, I am only trying to say that I can see where the media may be coming from in their criticisms of her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Did anyone else find that hard to watch? A 17 year old being told there's a hate campaign about them must be awful.....

She was quite obviously shocked but I think she handled herself well. She knows she is going into the final with the least chance of winning and she has accepted that.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    A poorly phrased question but one she should never have been put in the position of answering. By that I mean when a show puts through a girl who totally f**ked up her final audition, who has clearly not been liked by the public and has only been kept in by manipulation then what do you expect. She is the Emperor's New Clothes in terms of talent or ability.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Cher was as disliked by the public as you say she is, then wasn't she in the bottom 2 before week 7? Oh that's right because she has loyal fans who have kept voting for her. She deserves her place in that final even if she will not win!
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it but that must have been difficult. I don't understand the "hate" stuff for any of the contestants. If someone has the need to hate I would have thought that there would have been more "worthy" recipients than a few hopeful singers on a TV show.

She isn't my cup of tea but I do feel sorry for her.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    If Cher was as disliked by the public as you say she is, then wasn't she in the bottom 2 before week 7? Oh that's right because she has loyal fans who have kept voting for her. She deserves her place in that final even if she will not win!

She only got into that final through fixing and manipulation therefore she does not
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That has very litttle to do with being disliked. The voting is to save not to evict.
  • Options
    derbrainderbrain Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't yet seen the press conference but this wasn't the place or time to quiz any-one of the contestants, no matter what their age, about hate campaines.